Author Topic: New "improved" STM32CubeMX  (Read 2256 times)

Offline tsmanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
New "improved" STM32CubeMX
« on: November 29, 2018, 03:48:46 am »
Ugh. ST have decided that STM32CubeMX wasn't ugly enough and "improved" it with new bigger UI components + smashed everything onto a single window. The underlying features look to be the same though so the main visible changes are the UI and a new usage tracking option that is opt-in.

Whilst the generated HAL code isn't great, the pin planner and the clock tree configuration were still very handy to use.

Offline lucazader

• Regular Contributor
Re: New "improved" STM32CubeMX
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 04:38:26 am »
I agree the new UI isn't great. I'd put the over all look and feel slightly below the last one..

However having the config options for the interfaces selected on the same screen as the pin out helps a lot with going back and forht between the pin out and setting up the config for everything.

Now they just need to sort out how much ram it uses and make it more responsive than it currently is, as its a bit of a slug, and it would be pretty damn good!

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 04:33:03 pm »
Whatever they have done, it doesn't work on a Mac, despite claims. Running the setup app just immediately exits without doing anything. I suspect that's because I have Java 11 on my Mac, and they didn't bother to test it against a current version of Java. Or maybe they just didn't test it against Mojave. Poor.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:36:52 pm by ralphrmartin »

Offline lucazader

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 06:23:33 pm »
Yea it doesnt run on the latest version of java on linux either. I think you have to run java 8 from memory? Took me forever to figure out that is why it wasnt working.
Whatever it is, they should update the the latest version of java!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 06:53:52 pm »
Yea it doesnt run on the latest version of java on linux either. I think you have to run java 8 from memory? Took me forever to figure out that is why it wasnt working.
For something designed to be portable, Java can be an absolute disaster for compatibility. Anybody who has to touch any enterprise network/storage equipment will know the headaches of needing a specific ancient version + patch level of the JRE to run a utility. A newer or older version of the JRE will cause the utility to break horribly so it all just ends up being packaged up in a single purpose VM.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:56:55 pm by tsman »

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, newbrain

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 07:24:43 pm »
Despite the hideous UI and graphic design, the new layout does have some improvements.
I like how they have separated into categories on the left. Makes it easier to find things.
Also, seeing the detailed configs per pin is nice.

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 05:31:08 pm »
Whatever they have done, it doesn't work on a Mac, despite claims. Running the setup app just immediately exits without doing anything. I suspect that's because I have Java 11 on my Mac, and they didn't bother to test it against a current version of Java. Or maybe they just didn't test it against Mojave. Poor.

I'll have to check it on my machine. In the past I had to run the installer from the command line.

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 06:46:05 pm »
Actually, I have discovered you can make this all work on a Mac, with Java 11.0.1.

If you choose "Show package contents" in the Mac Finder, and dig into the installer app, and run the binary within it from the command line, it runs just fine. The resulting installed CubeMX app also works fine thereafter.

It seems just to be a bungled conversion of the installer into a Mac app.

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 08:51:45 pm »
Not happy with the UI as well. however over time, I guess.. users will become complacent 

I was expecting support FreeRTOS 10 but 9 is only supported.

Offline lucazader

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 03:17:46 am »
Yea freeRTOS 10 would be nice.
They seem to have de-coupled their CubeMX updates from their HAL updates.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 03:42:40 am »
Yea freeRTOS 10 would be nice.
You can upgrade it easily yourself anyway. The CMSIS-RTOSv1 layer hasn't changed so keep that and replace all the other FreeRTOS files with the latest version.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf