Author Topic: New programmer to replace old one  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
New programmer to replace old one
« on: July 30, 2013, 12:51:48 pm »
Any recomendations on a new programmer?
Or even better a way to rebuild an old one to work. Since building is fun.
Many years ago I bought a Modular Circuit tech programmer. It was designed for old 286 and 386 machines with windows 3.1. Around 2 years ago the last 386 machine I had died, So the programmer now sits idle and is useless.
I have looked on ebay and see the modern replacements are from 50 to 100 US bucks.
In reality, this is something that will not be used that often. So it will sit for months maybe or even longer before it is used.  This will be mostly targeted at the 27C128 eproms.
Would really be nice to build an interface to work with modern computers. But probably stretching that a bit.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
Re: New programmer to replace old one
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:58:50 pm »
Dave reviewed one of those cheapies some time ago.

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 01:12:14 pm »
Dave reviewed one of those cheapies some time ago.

Have to take a peek at that when I get home tonight, Youtube is blocked here at work
Thanks

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 01:13:27 pm »
I have the ALL-07 and was in the same boat as you. I bought the Galep5 a few years ago. It was pricey, but
they promised pin driver development software, but year after year, no show. I ended up buying the TL866
mentioned by andersm, and its actually better than the damn Galp5 in some ways. AND a shitload cheaper.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:20:47 pm »
I was in the same boat a while ago. About 20 years ago I bought a Galep-3 and it served me well but last year I needed to read a device which it didn't support. I looked at the Galep5 (the Galep4 doesn't support USB) but it is way too expensive for the few times I use it. I bought a Chinese programmer through Ebay. Altough the software is a bit dodgy it does do what it is supposed to do.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf