Author Topic: new: STM32L4+ series  (Read 3021 times)

Online KjeltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
new: STM32L4+ series
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:20:11 am »
ST has extended the STM32L4 technology providing more performance (up to 120 MHz) , more embedded memory (up to 2 Mbytes of Flash memory and 640 Kbytes of SRAM) and richer graphics and connectivity features while keeping the best-in-class ultra-low-power capability.

The STM32L4+ series shatters processing capabilities limits in the ultra-low-power world by delivering 150 DMIPS/409 CoreMark score while executing from internal Flash memory and by embedding 640 Kbytes SRAM enabling more advanced consumer, medical and industrial low-power applications and devices.

STM32L4+ microcontrollers offer dynamic voltage scaling to balance power consumption with processing demand, low-power peripherals (LP UART, LP timers) available in Stop mode, safety and security features, smart and numerous peripherals, advanced and low-power analog peripherals such as op amps, comparators, 12-bit DACs and 16-bit ADC (hardware oversampling).

The new STM32L4+ series also embeds advanced graphic features enabling state-of-the-art graphic user interfaces.
 The Chrom-ART Accelerator™, ST's proprietary 2D hardware graphic accelerator, efficiently handles repetitive graphic operations releasing the main CPU capabilities for real time processing or even more advanced graphic operations.
 The Chrom-ART Accelerator is coupled with the large embedded SRAM, the Chrom-GRC™ round display memory optimizer, the high-throughput Octo-SPI interface and to the advanced TFT and DSI controllers, allowing you to achieve ‘smartphone-like’ graphic user interfaces in a single-chip and an ultra-low power solution.

The STM32L4+ series are available in different lines: STM32L4R5/S5, STM32L4R7/S7 (with TFT interface) and STM32L4R9/S9 (with MIPI-DSI and with TFT interface).

To simplify migration and give you all the flexibility you need, the STM32L4+ is pin-to-pin compatible with the different STM32 series and opens the door to the full STM32 ecosystem.

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/about/media-center/press-item.html/p3980.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:50:25 am by Kjelt »

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
Re: new: STM32L4+ series
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:38:55 am »
Oh, this must be the great news they were anticipating in the last few emails..

(your link appear to be broken.. perhaps this? http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/about/media-center/press-item.html/p3980.html )

how about availability?

The following users thanked this post: Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:49:48 am »
thanks, I will edit my post  :)
Availability, no idea. 27 different parts will take some time to produce them all ? Perhaps it is all the same silicon but only different packages and some OTP fuses for configuration  ;)
Anyway you can contact them and still start designing it in and prototyping with the pincompatible uC's untill the time production is running.
I find it good news that low power mcu's are getting this powerfull. For mobile applications and use once in a while products like fancy remotes or room controls this is a good development.

I do wonder why people would continu to use the normal power arm mcu's unless it is cheaper, I mean it might be cannabalism of their other product portfolio.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:57:53 am by Kjelt »

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 01:23:31 pm »
well, i see that the L4s in big TQFP packages (over 100 pins) are FINALLY available to distributors, albeit in low quantity with ST's 20+ week lead time.
I don't really want to design with future parts that i will be able to get in six months because i'm a small fish so i don't get priority access :)

For example, tell me how can i design a product around this part: STM32L496ZGT3
stock is still non-existent at the various distributors. mouser doesn't have them on order and they are quoted to have a 27 week lead time
the solution, if i want to absolutely use this family is to move to BGA.. Unless i'm taking the wrong approach in dealing with ST?

good for me that i don't do stuff with MIPI/displays (yet) so i don't have to use ST
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:43:13 pm by JPortici »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 02:44:27 pm »
For example, tell me how can i design a product around this part: STM32L496ZGT3
You need the 125oC spec ? Otherwise a GT6 should suffice (85C).
ST says it is active and supplies are with distributors (see picture)

How many do you need?

Farnell has 91 pieces next day delivery (see picture)
Mouser has 76 pieces
Digikey has 50 pieces

I must say not huge quantities, if you want to buy a complete reel I would contact a ST distributor nearby and tell them what you want or contact st directly through their st.com website with your account.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 03:33:35 pm »
Yes, i chose that part as an example because of the extended temperature range :) I was actually considering it for a project.. and to my surpise i find it to be available-ish. (i would have bet it was still non-stocked)

We don't do production in-house, so our contractors will give us a lead time. 80-90% of the lead time is due to components stocking... they buy stuff in reels so if no reel is available, they have to wait.

At times we may have a shortage because peak in sales or whatever so we need to do an emergency run... Or maybe for prototype runs, why not?
I have to be able to buy x-hundred parts myself at any given time so we can forward the parts to the contractor so the boards can arrive in about 4 weeks instead of 8-12 minimum.

(rewritten for clarity)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:29:27 pm by JPortici »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 05:08:50 pm »
There is a shortage of many components at the moment, and many suppliers have stock issues, ST including.
AFAIK ST is pretty good with fullfilling their  promises and delivery when a commitment has been made but they are no magicians.  When components get scarce they will honor their commitments they have made but new buyers or existing buyers that want to order more are out of luck, i think that is only fair.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 05:44:02 pm »
never said it isn't fair :) you pay more -> you get more attention is nothing but fair

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 07:42:17 pm »
I wonder will this replace my STM32F103's and F303's?

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 08:59:26 pm »
I wonder will this replace my STM32F103's and F303's?

Not a chance unless its for pure hobbyist purposes:

The STM32L4+ devices are in production now, in various package options. Pricing starts at $6.52 for orders of 10,000 pieces. Please contact your local ST sales office for further information.

F103 is $1, and F303 is $2-3 on aliex.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 11:51:50 pm »
You should compare them with F4 series.
However the F4 is a bit faster but consumes lots more power.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf