Author Topic: OLIMEX new ESP8266 Modules  (Read 5638 times)

Offline TJ232Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • www.esp8266-projects.org
    • ESP8266 Projects
OLIMEX new ESP8266 Modules
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:24:29 am »
   New OLIMEX ESP8266 modules and Dev Board looks promising:
http://www.esp8266-projects.com/2015/03/mailbag-arrival-new-esp-modules-in-town.html

It's Open Source Hardware, from a well known thrusted provider for development tools and programmers for embedded market. Produced under strict EU Rules and regulations.
9.95EUR and quick delivery. In Europe you can have it on your desk in 2 days, in US in 3-5.

I am not afiliated in any way with OLIMEX. Just like their products quality and still pissed off of by the ESP-07 Story :http://www.esp8266-projects.com/2015/02/esp-07-module-problem-and-fix.html.

The last 4 modules ordered on Ebay, 2 arrived with the same problem, despite the fact I was assured they are OK. 2 never arrived. The chinese supplier not answering at any messages.

Nice customer support, huh?
ESP8266 Projects - www.esp8266-projects.org
MPDMv4 Dimmer Board available on Tindie: https://www.tindie.com/stores/next_evo1/

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: OLIMEX new ESP8266 Modules
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 11:09:47 pm »
Coincidentally, I ordered a few of each last week and they arrived yesterday, they ended up in a drawer though, too many other things going on. I hadn't realised they're new, maybe I'll have a look sooner than I thought.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 12:32:12 am »
The clone is more expensive than the original. That's a first :)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 01:07:29 pm »
I did some brief tests with these boards a day or so ago, it looks like the stock firmware does not support encryption when used as an AP, is this likely to always be the case?

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 03:15:02 pm »
They are going to use the whatever core microcontroller and the Lua or what programming language with the chinese datasheet? Doh.

• Frequent Contributor
    • ESP8266 Projects
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 06:12:23 pm »
I did some brief tests with these boards a day or so ago, it looks like the stock firmware does not support encryption when used as an AP, is this likely to always be the case?

Didn't use them yet in AP mode but all it's related with the uploaded ESP8266 firmware. Don't have access to them now for a test but in Client mode didn't had any problem with WPA/WPA2 mode.

MPDMv4 Dimmer Board available on Tindie: https://www.tindie.com/stores/next_evo1/

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 06:35:35 pm »

Didn't use them yet in AP mode but all it's related with the uploaded ESP8266 firmware. Don't have access to them now for a test but in Client mode didn't had any problem with WPA/WPA2 mode.

Yes, the infrastructure client mode worked fine on WPA2, it was the AP mode I was looking at. I was wondering if there was firmware that fixed that.

It appears that there is some work going on what with toolchains and whatnot, is that for fiddling with the firmware itself or something less dramatic?

• Frequent Contributor
    • ESP8266 Projects
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 12:11:56 pm »

Yes, the infrastructure client mode worked fine on WPA2, it was the AP mode I was looking at. I was wondering if there was firmware that fixed that.

It appears that there is some work going on what with toolchains and whatnot, is that for fiddling with the firmware itself or something less dramatic?

They are already some easy toochain install images available this is just one way to do it, but worth a look:
http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1186

Probably some bug in AP mode stuff...

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 09:02:42 am »

it looks like the stock firmware does not support encryption when used as an AP
How did you tell?

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 11:59:17 pm »
How did you tell?

SSL implementation is shaky. I am still trying to make outgoing SSL connection to a standard web site. BTW, the Lua image is more friendly than the AT commands version.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 04:09:29 am »
SSL is TCP level encryption.  I assumed you were talking about some link-level encryption (WPA, WEP, etc.)

• Frequent Contributor
    • ESP8266 Projects
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 05:30:47 am »
How did you tell?

SSL implementation is shaky. I am still trying to make outgoing SSL connection to a standard web site. BTW, the Lua image is more friendly than the AT commands version.

Way more friendly!
Obviously NodeMCU Lua has the drawbacks and limitations of an Interpreter but with the new node.compile() option starts looking pretty decent for basic projects.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 01:30:51 am »
Ordered a few of these. It looks like a right solution for a project I am working on. So thanks for posting about esp8266. Very informative stuff.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf