Author Topic: Pic programming & debugging tools with Windows8.1  (Read 10838 times)

Offline GixyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Pic programming & debugging tools with Windows8.1
« on: November 01, 2014, 05:36:57 pm »
I had to modify an old project using a Pic 16F877A. My old ICD2 being no more supported by MPLABX and Windows8, I bought a Pickit3. Then problems began: only the standalone application is working, allowing to program the device but not debugging. MPLABX either don't see the Pickit3 or when it sees it, cannot connect to the device. And worst than that, it blew up 3 devices which I can no more neither erase or program, they are dead!
Plenty of forums report connection problem with Pickit3 and MPLABX on Windows 6bits. So far I'm looking buying an ICD3, but I would like to be sure that everything will go well with this tool, much more exprnsive than Pickit3. Have some of you guys experimented such configuration with success?

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Re: Pic programming & debugging tools with Windows8.1
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 05:54:43 pm »
Ouch, can you try the pickit with MPLAB 8.90? I find the MPLABX to be awful.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 06:21:34 pm »
Everything about MPLAB X and USB seems to be flaky as hell from the start.

Having to move to some USB driver model supporting multiple platforms seems to have bitten them in the arse.

I will be sticking with MPLAB and Windows 7 for as long as possible.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 06:53:40 pm »
I tried pickit with MPLAB 8.92 and same result: it was the third device blown-up.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 07:01:09 pm »
I tried pickit with MPLAB 8.92 and same result

With so many consistent and unfortunate outcome, maybe the issue isn't the OS, pickit, or mplab/mplabx?
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 07:01:43 pm »
Been using MPLABX with PicKit3 for some time BUT only with XP and win 7  , there seems to be an issue with USB the way you start up MPLABX I always start with PK3 plugged but not connected to the ICSP pins, even then project properties does not always  see it !  . Version 2.20 no better.  MPLABX, PK3 and win8 is a non starter.   MC should have fixed this by now....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:03:31 pm by 22swg »
Check your tongue, your belly and your lust. Better to enjoy someone else’s madness.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 07:12:42 pm »
I tried pickit with MPLAB 8.92 and same result: it was the third device blown-up.

There might be some other problem, the only thing that blows up with MPLABX is me when I lose patience with that mess.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 07:47:29 pm »
I noticed my PICKIT3 & MPLABX is very unstable when used with the USB inside my Dell Monitor. I get similar behaviour with debug sessions not starting, devices not being recognized, and weird stuff like that.

When I plug the PICKIT3 directly onto onboard ports, i.e. on the front of my computercase, it works much better.

I also noticed Linux has none of these issues whatsoever, and in general feels like it compiles, links, programs and debugs much quicker.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 09:18:34 pm »
I noticed my PICKIT3 & MPLABX is very unstable when used with the USB inside my Dell Monitor. I get similar behaviour with debug sessions not starting, devices not being recognized, and weird stuff like that.

When I plug the PICKIT3 directly onto onboard ports, i.e. on the front of my computercase, it works much better.

I also noticed Linux has none of these issues whatsoever, and in general feels like it compiles, links, programs and debugs much quicker.

Pickit3 directly plugged to my HP laptop, USB 2. 0 as well as 3.0, same bad results. Pickit not recognized, then after some plug/unplug sequences, recognized, firmware loading (normaly done before by standalone app), then try to connect to device and fails, and the device is blown up.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 09:21:06 pm »
You seem to consider that ICD3 is as problematic than Pickit3 with Windows 8. So far, what's the solution?

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:11:51 pm »
Well, I'm sure that the easiest way to solve incompatibility problems with windows 8.1, apple computers, and linux and tablets is the following:

1. Start your computer
2. Go to amazon.com, ebay.com, bestbuy whatever (consider doing it through the eevblog website)
3. Buy a proper PC with Windows 7. Install DOS and Xp just in case.
4. Boom, all your compatibility problems for all electronics related problems instantly solved.

I really dont understand why people keep insisting on their OSs, when all the tools are made for windows. It is like complaining that you cannot properly solder on a boat, and coming up with ideas how to stabilize your desk, make electricity, make extra light and keep out the weather. :-//

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 12:09:35 am »
I have a HP Windows 8.1 x64 machine (laptop) running MPLABX (cannot remember which ver, was installed around Feb this year) connected to a ICD3 and it has happily debugged and programmed at least 4 different projects since Feb, occasionally (and the same for my work Windows 7 x32 machine) the ICD3 will "lock" up and I have to unplug it and plug it back in, but no blown components.

I did have a "batch" of PIC's which came from the PCB assembler which kept blowing, turned out to be the PCB assembler's power supply.

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 12:08:00 pm »
Gixy, I will try PK3 in the case USB port with my XP machine (ocasional NO PK3  found) , see if its improved, this is as with my win7 PC  that seem less of a problem, also running 7 in I think 'classic' mode helps ? 
Check your tongue, your belly and your lust. Better to enjoy someone else’s madness.

Offline tru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 05:34:07 pm »
Have you checked the basics?

In MPLAB are you sure the  power target voltage value is correct?
If your PIC is 3.3v type but as example setting 5v instead of 3.3v? 

Also is the correct PIC selected in the select device in MPLAB?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 12:43:26 am »
Trust me Tru, everything has been checked ten times: wiring, settings, options... The standalone application works correctly, only MPLAB and MPLABX don't. I can't debug then, so it's a little bit longer to find and fix my inevitables mistakes... :palm:

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 02:17:34 pm »
Well, I'm sure that the easiest way to solve incompatibility problems with windows 8.1, apple computers, and linux and tablets is the following:

1. Start your computer
2. Go to amazon.com, ebay.com, bestbuy whatever (consider doing it through the eevblog website)
4. Boom, all your compatibility problems for all electronics related problems instantly solved.

I really dont understand why people keep insisting on their OSs, when all the tools are made for windows. It is like complaining that you cannot properly solder on a boat, and coming up with ideas how to stabilize your desk, make electricity, make extra light and keep out the weather. :-//

+1 for mentioning windows 7, its as simple as that people, windows 8 is a real headache for embedded developers.

Offline Pack34

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:22:56 am »

1. Start your computer

+1 for mentioning windows 7, its as simple as that people, windows 8 is a real headache for embedded developers.

Not really. I've been doing embedded development for a while in windows 8. Besides Realterm being a little bit of a pain to get going, all my compilers and tools have had no issue with the newer version of Windows.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 04:15:35 pm »
pickit3 + icd3 been working perfectly fine under linux + mplabx for me for ages, through several distribution upgrades as well. icd3 is so much nicer than pickit3! never had any issues debugging under mplabx on linux.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline jorisbeurden

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 09:23:29 am »
I had this problem too, but if the cause is the same I have a fix.

The problem with everything microchip USB and windows 8 comes from the power management of windows 8. Somehow windows 8 causes the device or driver to go into a state it can't get out of anymore. The solution requires some fiddling with the registry but for me it solved problems with the PICKIT3, ICD3 and my own USBHID project.

The solution is explained here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/08/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-device-doesn-t-charge-or-it-disconnects-and-reconnects-frequently.aspx

Offline septer012

• Regular Contributor
    • http://www.danielbjohnson.net
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 07:47:01 am »
mine also did not work. Once I connected my pickit 3 to a windows 7 PC with mplab to program something and it updated itself, it worked on Windows 8.
Daniel

Online VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 03:28:13 pm »

Well, I have to agree on this. Why do people insist on Linux or Mac while all the industry tools and software are Windows ones? Sure all OSs have good aspects but the point is: there is no gained benefit of using other OSs than windows.

Without any doubt, Windows 7 is the best when it comes to software compatibility and performance. Sure Windows 8.1 is better in general but for these kind of software it takes quite some time for it to be good with it. I remember Windows 8 (not 8.1) had an annoying problem with some ATI graphics cards in HP laptops... It was totally annoying time really! it took them a lot of time to fix it and it was when they released windows 8.1... all other solutions was just hacks from people.

For me I am sticking with Windows 7 so far, it is so good for all of my needs.

Offline trigger-99

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 01:31:42 pm »
ok can anyone help me i bort a pickit 3 from microchip did not want to got one from ebay as thay are all  fake  anyway i can't get it to work in mplab or  pickkit 3 software 
been you all night trying to fix it and no joy im using windows 7 64-bit  its driving me mad please help

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 01:59:18 pm »
Think PICteam here will need more info... From recollection the first time you connect PK3 to MPLAB it wants to download a couple of files.  I would

Plug in the PK3 usb , wait till you have just Blue and green LED . then Launch MPLABX  , start a project and custom the configuration file to look for PK3 it should then be all automatic  ( It may take a restart of the whole procedure ) If this not good try with MPLAB 8.4.  ( programmer select )

win 7 mplabx and PK3 will work !

Offline NegativeONE

• Contributor
    • NegativeONE - personal page
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 02:54:11 pm »
I was having a similar problem with Pickit 3 , win 7 64bit and MPLAB X - if automatic update doesn't work, here is the solution that helped me: http://www.microchip.com/forums/m762080.aspx
BTW: PicKit operating system .hex you find in a Pickit folder.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:56:29 pm by NegativeONE »
ONE never notices what has been done;
ONE can only see what remains to be done;

http://www.negativeone.pl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 10:13:18 pm »
Well, here was the situation:
- pickit3 working erratically under Windows 8.1, three devices burnt
- my old ICD2 not supported by MPLABX
- neither by Windows 8 64 bits as it is the first version, with a Cypress USB IC
Then, not so easy to work on my old project...
Then I thought: can I recover my old development environment? Yes I can!
I installed an XP 32 bits virtual machine on my Windows 8.1 64 bits PC with VirtualBOx and guess what: MPLAB 8.92 and my good old ICD2 are back! Everything works well, it is really incredible how efficient this virtualisation is, and more than this, it is free.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf