Author Topic: PIC16/18 ICSP board connector options  (Read 2766 times)

Offline bsonTopic starter

• Supporter
PIC16/18 ICSP board connector options
« on: May 30, 2015, 12:41:46 am »
I'm looking for some ideas for how to design an SMD board with a mounted PIC18 using ICSP.  Both programming (PK3) and debugging (ICD3).  The boards will be factory populated, but not in volumes warranting factory programming, and I want to be able to externally reflash the MCUs anyway.  So I'm looking at simply adding programming pads and using some kind of clip for programming.  Pogo-pins, castellated edges, edge pad connectors, clips, etc - it's all fair game.  I just don't want to have to add a physical header to every board, or a socket, which is what I've done up to now.  Less routing or precision cutting, fewer holes and vias, etc, is better - just want to keep things small and simple and easy to use/align manually, yet reliable.    I don't mind making a custom cable or some sort of jig, especially if it's reusable for other projects.  I also don't particularly mind buying a clip made for this purpose, although I can't seem to find anything suitable.  (Maybe this is really a PCB design question...)   :-/O

It would be fantastic if the same scheme could also be used for ARM JTAG!!!

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: PIC16/18 ICSP board connector options
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 01:24:51 am »
Sparkfun's offset hole SIL footprint which will grip a long pin header on a flexible cable well enough for ICSP. https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/114

Tag-Connect with or without legs that latch to the board http://www.tag-connect.com/what-is-tag-connect

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 03:59:01 am »
I use a "standard" ICSP pinout put only five pins as pin 6 isn't used, and exposed pads that either I can use a custom pogo pin thingy for programming or populate more permanently with a 1.27mm Harwin connector for longer term debugging and an appropriate 1.27 to 0.1" ICSP adapter. For pogo pins, 1.27mm is about as close as I dare go.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 07:56:42 am »
Found this clever little contraption!
http://www.tag-connect.com/TC2030-MCP

They even offer footprints for download.

Ordered one with legs (for debugging) and one without (for programming)...  Will make a test board and try it out and report back!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:10:23 am by bson »

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:59:32 am »
Look at http://www.tag-connect.com/TC2030-CLIP
It positively retains TC2030-MCP-NL for debugging *WITHOUT* needing the four large leg holes in the footprint.

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:36:55 pm »
So these work GREAT and are very easy to footprint (I made my own rather than use theirs).

Yesterday I went to see if they had something suitable for MSP430 BI-WIRE JTAG, and lo and behold! there's an adapter that fits onto the RJ12 end of the MCP ICSP cable, and plugs into the TI programmer.  It works both with the old programmers and the newer MSP-FET, except doesn't support the integrated UART.  Nice, nice, nice... Also, it has pads for installing the 330R fuse guard resistor onto the adapter instead of the board and I think I'll start omitting that for any MSP430 board that has the TAG-Connect footprint.

And yeah, got a CLIP also...

All around good stuff, highly recommended.  Very easy to work with and I assume it's going to be a flawless victory with Bi-Wire MSP430 as well.

Forgot to mention they also threw in a small board with the various footprints on it to use for a reference.  Nice.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:49:23 pm by bson »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf