Author Topic: PIC32MZ external crystal anomalous behaviour  (Read 2180 times)

Offline rill17Topic starter

• Contributor
PIC32MZ external crystal anomalous behaviour
« on: March 28, 2017, 08:42:21 pm »
I am currently designing a project using the PIC32MZ1024EFG100 microcontroller. as part of the design I used a 12Mhz external crystal oscillator to operate as the system clock. The problem is that when i configure the microcontroller, it doesnt start working immediately. After programming the microcontroller the only way i got it to start up was by physically touching the oscillator either with my finger or even with a non conductive object such as a peice of plastic. the oscillator used has 18pF capacitors and was placed close to the microcontroller as is recommended. Continuity tests where also performed and the oscillator was also changed to a higher frequency (25Mhz) and then changed back to a new oscillator of 12Mhz with no change. This was all done with an operating frequency of 75Mhz from a possible 200Mhz with no change. trying to operate the microcontoller at a frequency of 150Mhz only resulted in the microcontroller operating at an extremely low frequency, so much so that the i2c module was working at a frequency of 8khz from a configured value of 150Khz. Using the internal FRC the microcontroller works normally.
Any ideas???

Offline up8051

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: rill17

Offline rill17Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: PIC32MZ external crystal anomalous behaviour
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:17:58 pm »
thanks, turns out the errata sheet specifies issues with the oscillator.
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/80000663D.pdf
I'm gonna try using a 24Mhz oscillator, luckily i have a spare one from another project. should work according to the errata table 3

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf