Author Topic: $1 MCU review — looking for part suggestions!  (Read 13104 times)

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
Re: $1 MCU review — looking for part suggestions!
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2017, 07:26:02 pm »
I'm currently trying to resist buying a bunch of < $0.25 Freescale S09 chips that Newark is flushing...  Sigh.
What are those? And how do you program them?

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:12 pm »
$0.25 is expensive. You can get an ATTiny5 for $0.20 at Digikey, and $0.168 if you buy 100. But the flash size is very small. If you pay $0.35, you can get an ATTiny9, which can be used to play a chiptune:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2017, 07:47:07 am »
trying to resist buying a bunch of < $0.25 Freescale S09 chips that Newark is flushing.

Oh, like ($0.05): http://www.newark.com/nxp/mc9rs08kb2csc/microcontroller-mcu-8-bit-rs08/dp/29R0568
Or ($0.08): http://www.newark.com/nxp/mc9s08qd4msc/microcontroller-mcu-8-bit-s08/dp/22M5768
(There are more <$0.20, but the "sort" function doesn't recognize "special" prices...)

If I understand the history right, the HC08 is an enhancement of the old 6805 (which was a "microcontroller oriented) 6800?), the S08 is a modernized version of that, and the RS08 is a "reduced" S08 (rather unpleasantly: looks like 1 level of subroutine "stack"!)  They're 8-bit accumulator/memory architecture with index register; rather CISCy.  You can still download free "Codewarrior for microcontrollers" that has "unlimited assembler" and "C compiler with irrelevant restrictions for those chips" (though I'm not sure how that'd work for the RS08!)
Something like "high voltage serial programmer" and or "Background Debug Mode" (both documented and with some Open Source implementations.)
While accumulator architectures are out-of-style, the old motorola implementations were supposed to be "pretty good", and these aren't yet actually "discontinued" (though they're not too cheap "normally"), so you could do worse in a search for ultra-cheap jellybean microcontrollers for trivial applications.  (And I have.  Anybody want some OTP Toshiba 4-bit microcontrollers?  :-(  The whole "these things can't be THAT hard to use" feeling is an illusion.  Thus my attempt to "resist.")

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2017, 09:07:15 pm »
trying to resist buying a bunch of < $0.25 Freescale S09 chips that Newark is flushing.

Oh, like ($0.05): http://www.newark.com/nxp/mc9rs08kb2csc/microcontroller-mcu-8-bit-rs08/dp/29R0568
Or ($0.08): http://www.newark.com/nxp/mc9s08qd4msc/microcontroller-mcu-8-bit-s08/dp/22M5768
(There are more <$0.20, but the "sort" function doesn't recognize "special" prices...)

If I understand the history right, the HC08 is an enhancement of the old 6805 (which was a "microcontroller oriented) 6800?), the S08 is a modernized version of that, and the RS08 is a "reduced" S08 (rather unpleasantly: looks like 1 level of subroutine "stack"!)  They're 8-bit accumulator/memory architecture with index register; rather CISCy.  You can still download free "Codewarrior for microcontrollers" that has "unlimited assembler" and "C compiler with irrelevant restrictions for those chips" (though I'm not sure how that'd work for the RS08!)
Something like "high voltage serial programmer" and or "Background Debug Mode" (both documented and with some Open Source implementations.)
While accumulator architectures are out-of-style, the old motorola implementations were supposed to be "pretty good", and these aren't yet actually "discontinued" (though they're not too cheap "normally"), so you could do worse in a search for ultra-cheap jellybean microcontrollers for trivial applications.  (And I have.  Anybody want some OTP Toshiba 4-bit microcontrollers?  :-(  The whole "these things can't be THAT hard to use" feeling is an illusion.  Thus my attempt to "resist.")
Well it is likely that if I ever want to build anything around those I will first need to build myself the programmer and debugger hardware. It is good that my computer actually still had a Super I/O ISA parallel port available but how to get it to show up in macOS... Just like my 8051 boards which is stuck in a dev tool limbo.

Maybe I have to stick to STM32 and other ARM for a while.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf