Author Topic: Programmer for this Renesas IC  (Read 7393 times)

Online VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Programmer for this Renesas IC
« on: May 20, 2017, 08:39:33 pm »
Hi there,

I want a programmer for this IC: r5f21257snfp

I don't want to develop any projects at all, I just want to copy a software from a board and program a new chip to put it on another board.

I've seen many pricey tools but since I don't want any features except burning the .hex file, then they are no match for me. If you could direct me to the software tool to do it, that would be extra good (flash programmer v3 on renesas website?)

thanks!

Offline Bruce Abbott

• Frequent Contributor
    • Bruce Abbott's R/C Models and Electronics
Re: Programmer for this Renesas IC
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 10:20:38 pm »
If it's in a commercial product then it's almost certainly read protected. Do you already have a hex file? 

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 10:44:34 pm »
If it's in a commercial product then it's almost certainly read protected. Do you already have a hex file?

I have already copies AVR .hex file from a commercial product successfully. I do agree with you on protection point of view but it is worth trying if the programmer is affordable.

Do you know any?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:35:33 pm »
That's an R8C, which uses a relatively simple serial programming protocol:

https://www.renesas.com/zh-tw/doc/products/mpumcu/apn/r8c/r01an0334ej0110_r8c.pdf

http://people.redhat.com/dj/m32c/flash-guide.pdf

There is a parallel programming protocol but it's harder to find information on, although serial programming should be sufficient for your needs.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 05:14:00 am »
That's an R8C, which uses a relatively simple serial programming protocol:

https://www.renesas.com/zh-tw/doc/products/mpumcu/apn/r8c/r01an0334ej0110_r8c.pdf

There is a parallel programming protocol but it's harder to find information on, although serial programming should be sufficient for your needs.

That info might be interested to those who want to build diy programmers, but I only want a programmer ready to use so I can copy and burn the code.

I don't know how should I use the info in your docs to my benefit.

Offline Bruce Abbott

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:16:05 pm »

That info might be interested to those who want to build diy programmers, but I only want a programmer ready to use so I can copy and burn the code.
You don't need a 'programmer', just a standard TTL serial converter and a few jumpers. Wiring is described in the document:-

The simplest method to program from a host is the asynchronous serial mode, often called "serial mode
2". This mode lets you use a standard serial port, such as is found on most PCs, and two jumpers. One
jumper is for nRESET, and the other is for the MODE or CNVss pin (different chips call them different
things, we'll use MODE in this document). In addition, each chip may have other pins which must be
pulled high or low for this mode
; check the chip's hardware manual for details. Usually a high-valued
resistor is sufficient for these pins. The serial pins on the chip are TTL logic, not RS-232 logic. You'll
need a converter to connect to a standard serial port, or use a TTL-level USB-to-serial cable like
FTDI's TTL-232R (5 volts) or TTL-232R-3V3 (3.3 volts).

If the PCB is designed for in-circuit serial programming then it may already have the required connection points and jumpers. If not then you might have to cut some tracks or lift pins and solder wires onto them, or perhaps even remove the chip from the PCB and put it in an adapter.

The r5f21257snfp comes in a 52 pin 0.65mm TQFP package. ZIF sockets for this size are rare and expensive. If you need to program it out of circuit and can't afford an official adapter board then you could try soldering it to a generic adapter board like this. Only a few pins need to be soldered (the rest can be left floating) along with the 2 jumpers and TTL serial port connection.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 02:14:54 am »
But will it be enough to copy the firmware?

You talked about hardware but what about software used? the docs mention bits that needs to be done for each move like remove or copy... For AVR I use avrdude (or one of its GUI) along with usbasp. What I need is something like this for this ic.

Offline Bruce Abbott

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 11:31:27 am »
Renesas Flash Programmer V3

Renesas Flash Programmer is a software package used to program the on-chip flash memory of Renesas microcontrollers. It provides usability and functionality optimized specifically for flash programming.

Commercial Edition and Free-of-charge Edition

Features

Easy flash programming using a simple GUI designed specifically for development
    PC-controlled programming via the E1 emulator, E20 emulator, E2 emulator, E2 emulator Lite, a serial or USB connection

The following users thanked this post: VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 12:50:04 pm »
Renesas Flash Programmer V3

Renesas Flash Programmer is a software package used to program the on-chip flash memory of Renesas microcontrollers. It provides usability and functionality optimized specifically for flash programming.

Commercial Edition and Free-of-charge Edition

Features

Easy flash programming using a simple GUI designed specifically for development
    PC-controlled programming via the E1 emulator, E20 emulator, E2 emulator, E2 emulator Lite, a serial or USB connection

GREAT!

So I need the serial TTL converter, do you know a good one to buy?

Do I need to make any mods or hardware\software stuff to get it done according to the docs you posted? because what is their role if hardware ttl converter and software gui is already there?

Best regards,

Offline Bruce Abbott

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 04:14:28 am »
Any TTL-USB serial converter should work. I have one like this:- 6PIN CP2102 STC Download Cable USB 2.0 To TTL Module Serial Converter.

You shouldn't need to modify the software, but you will need to make the correct connections to the MCU. How hard that will be depends on whether the PCB has any provision for in-circuit programming.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 11:17:57 am »
good, you mean like MISO ans MOSI of the AVR? the 2 lines of data usually named TX and RX. The rest are ground, power, and reset.

Offline Bruce Abbott

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 09:47:02 pm »
you mean like MISO ans MOSI of the AVR?
Sort of. Both are TTL logic level, but MISO and MOSI are part of a clocked synchronous serial protocol which requires a dedicated programming interface and low level driver software.

The R8 uses standard 'RS232' protocol but with TTL voltage levels, similar to Arduino Pro Mini etc. Note that TX and RX means transmit and receive at each device. When connecting to a TTL-USB adapter the lines must be crossed - ie. TX at one end is RX at the other. This is different from MOSI/MISO, where the designations are the same at both ends.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:48:40 pm by Bruce Abbott »

Offline revyshht

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2024, 05:34:42 am »
Hi, were you able to copy read and copy the firmware? I have a washing machine and was thinking of doing the same, how did it go? 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf