Author Topic: Programming / Debugging a TM4C123GH6PM  (Read 1969 times)

Offline ManicMarkianTopic starter

Programming / Debugging a TM4C123GH6PM
« on: September 07, 2015, 03:48:13 pm »
Hi,

Im a bit of a newbie, so sorry if discussed before or just a stupid question and its a bit of a long shot, but i was wondering if its still possible to program / compile / debug a Tiva C Launchpad FROM a G5 Power pc based apple mac over usb or from a Raspberry PI / Beaglebone Black? .. Searching around the internet doesn't reveal much hope, i've already tried Energia for the G5, and whilst the IDE works perfectly as soon as you try to compile the gcc backend fails probably due to running on the wrong architecture.

Thanks
Mark

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Programming / Debugging a TM4C123GH6PM
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 03:56:42 pm »
Which error do you get from gcc ? You can re-compile gcc without much problem, the target processor is an ARM Cortex M4F anyways, nothing obscure. There are several "sources" (for arm gcc) so-to-say. You may start with something like CodeSourcery. Programming debugging from Mac OSX may prove a bit more challenging, though.

Offline ManicMarkianTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 04:03:05 pm »
Output from Energia whilst compiling is: /Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/lm4f/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ returned 255 .. i get the feeling its to do with Java being heavily outdated, and ive just noticed its not gcc. lol its g++. Ill look into CodeSourcery now, thanks for the reply. Any idea how it can be done FROM a raspberry pi too ?

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 04:32:15 pm »
Output from Energia whilst compiling is: /Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/lm4f/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ returned 255 .. i get the feeling its to do with Java being heavily outdated, and ive just noticed its not gcc.
I will bet you anything that that GCC binary does not run on PowerPC.

You can run OpenOCD on the BeagleBone or RPi. You can even compile code for the Tiva on them if you want, but you will need a bare-metal compiler toolchain even though they're all ARM. Getting modern open-source tools working on a G5 will not be easy. If you had a more modern, Intel Mac you could just grab a compiler from launchpad and OpenOCD from MacPorts or Homebrew.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf