Author Topic: Programming wizards needed! Arduino Newbie.  (Read 1351 times)

Offline rickey1990Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Beambuilder - robotics blog
Programming wizards needed! Arduino Newbie.
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:34:40 pm »
Okay so im building a drone, i was thinking of using a arduino as a sort of motor adapter, the arduino would be attached to the motor outputs from a coaxial helicopter with built in gyro,rc and all the bits i didn't fancy building. These motor output signals would then be red by the arduino and used to drive 2 brush-less motors.

But id like to know what people think and could it work (Picture attached, Note Pot was in the picture before i edited it so please ignore), programming wise, I did do robotics as part of my electrical engineering course, But the last thing i programmed was a robotic arm at college with machine code and some basic programming involving with binary and hexadecimal.  also logic gates. so im abit of fossil when it comes to the newer stuff. only 25 :0. so any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rickey
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:31:14 pm by rickey1990 »

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
Re: Programming wizards needed! Arduino Newbie.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 12:56:05 pm »
It looks quite feasible.  The motor drivers from the toy heli are low side MOSFETs, so you'll need pull up resistors to the Arudino's 5v supply.

Whether it's a good idea is debatable.  By doing this you are stuck with the original gyro control loop parameters, which may not be optimal for a different model.  With the relatively low cost of RC components these days wouldn't it be worth using a proper modular RC receiver and gyro?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf