Author Topic: PSoC 4 BLE: One-Chip Solution for the IoT  (Read 21555 times)

Offline CypressPSoCTopic starter

• Contributor
PSoC 4 BLE: One-Chip Solution for the IoT
« on: November 12, 2014, 04:25:29 pm »
We at Cypress wanted to share our latest device for the IoT with the EEVblog community - presenting the PSoC 4 BLE!

PSoC 4 BLE is a single-chip SoC that integrates the following:

- ARM Cortex-M0 CPU up to 48 MHz
- 256/32Kb, 128/16Kb Flash/SRAM (128Kb sampling now, 256Kb coming soon)
- 2.4 GHz Bluetooth Low Energy Radio with Integrated Balun
- 4 x Opamps (operational in Deep-Sleep Mode)
- 2 x Comparators (operational in Deep-Sleep Mode)
- 1 x SAR ADC 12bit, 1-Msps with 8-ch Sequencer
- 1 x CapSense CSD block for touch-sensing
- 4 x TCPWM (Timer/Counter/PWM) blocks
- 2 x SCB (Serial Communication UART/SPI/I2C) block
- 4 x UDB (Universal Digital Blocks, PLD-based programmable logic) blocks
- 1 x Segment LCD block
- 36 GPIO
- Five low-power modes (Active, Sleep, Deep-Sleep, Hibernate, Stop Modes)

A lot more information, including device datasheets, dev kits, and the related software tools for Cypress's new Bluetooth Low Energy solutions can be found here: www.cypress.com/BLE

We'd be happy to answer any questions about the new BLE chips, or anything PSoC in general!

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
Re: PSoC 4 BLE: One-Chip Solution for the IoT
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 04:43:41 pm »
This is a good step forward.

When can we expect Wifi?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 05:30:33 pm »
There isn't a PSoC with WiFi integrated today, but the PSoC platform is rapidly growing!

Cypress's current focus with its ARM Cortex-M microcontroller-based PSoC products is on real-time, low-power applications for the IoT. This includes the ability to sense and control a variety of mixed-signal circuits with high accuracy and low latency.

Bluetooth Low Energy today has several benefits over WiFi in terms of radio power consumption, connection latency and others, allowing for 'always-on' smart devices to run off small batteries while seamlessly embedding into the everyday physical objects around us, bringing them a step closer to the internet of Things.

BLE's low power consumption has tradeoffs as well, the most obvious being datarate and throughput. By coupling the BLE radio with a Cortex-M0 processor, and adding the flexible programmable analog and digital blocks, PSoC 4 BLE aim to provide the right combination of processing horsepower and current consumption, with flexible and accurate sensor-interfaces. WiFi is very well suited for higher-end processors like the Cortex-M3, M4 and the newer -M7, and we will consider it. The PSoC platform is on an expansion curve. We now have 4 different processor architectures ranging from 8-bit 8081s to 32-bit Cortex-M3s. We update our product roadmaps frequently (http://www.cypress.com/events/?event=productroadmaps), and try to keep everyone informed of our plans for the near future!

Edited for formatting

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:33:32 pm by CypressPSoC »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 02:57:31 am »
A lot of people are going to be happy with the external xtal one for the High frequency 24MHz and one for low frequency 32.768KHz

Hmm $50 for the dev kit with a PSoC and a PRoC

and two other separate kit one for a remote and one more for a mouse with trackpads both and those last two with miniprog3, you are killing me well my wife will :)

If only you did develop a USB component for the PSoC4, instead of only available for the 3 and 5LP.

Now to decide what to get, limited time bundle get 3 for the price of 2 would be awesome but probably is asking too much :)

Offline nuno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 03:06:52 am »
Quote from: miguelvp
If only you did develop a USB component for the PSoC4, instead of only available for the 3 and 5LP.
If it's done in sw on AVRs running at 12MHz (low speed USB), I'm sure this can easilly be pulled from a PSoC4

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 07:45:06 am »
If it's done in sw on AVRs running at 12MHz (low speed USB), I'm sure this can easilly be pulled from a PSoC4

He didn't say he wanted a total hackjob with a viral license. He wants a USB component. I second this.

I am a bit mixed to disappointed in the announcement. Hopefully this IoT buzzword will die faster than others. My designs don't need Bluetooth right now, and when they will, I need more than this product provides. I was hoping for something else entirely to be announced, and your roadmap only shows NDA and development/concept or nothing for the parts I am interested in (analog PSoC4, improved digital PSoC4 and more flash, not a nearly hopeless PSoC4000). You haven't said any more than what the roadmap says that I can find, so no idea if any of it will be helpful in my designs.

Hopefully others are more excited about this product than I am.

Offline Laurynas

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 12:36:21 pm »
Nice to have a Cypress representative here :)

The most disappointing thing for me is amateur unfriendly packages.

Please consider selling inexpensive prototype kits similar to current 4200/4100 kits, but as small as practical.

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 02:42:27 pm »
We at Cypress wanted to share our latest device for the IoT with the EEVblog community - presenting the PSoC 4 BLE!

- ARM Cortex-M0 CPU up to 48 MHz
- 256/32Kb, 128/16Kb Flash/SRAM (128Kb sampling now, 256Kb coming soon)
- 2.4 GHz Bluetooth Low Energy Radio with Integrated Balun
- 4 x Opamps (operational in Deep-Sleep Mode)
- 2 x Comparators (operational in Deep-Sleep Mode)
- 1 x SAR ADC 12bit, 1-Msps with 8-ch Sequencer
- 1 x CapSense CSD block for touch-sensing
- 4 x TCPWM (Timer/Counter/PWM) blocks
- 2 x SCB (Serial Communication UART/SPI/I2C) block
- 4 x UDB (Universal Digital Blocks, PLD-based programmable logic) blocks
- 1 x Segment LCD block
- 36 GPIO
- Five low-power modes (Active, Sleep, Deep-Sleep, Hibernate, Stop Modes)

A lot more information, including device datasheets, dev kits, and the related software tools for Cypress's new Bluetooth Low Energy solutions can be found here: www.cypress.com/BLE

We'd be happy to answer any questions about the new BLE chips, or anything PSoC in general!

Please send Dave sample dev kits for the show, so we can see it action.

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 05:32:32 pm »

Cypress rep @ electronica told me it's coming, will take some time tho ...
But Psoc 5LP are so cheap now (went down in price dramatically) that you might aswell go for that if you need it anytime soon.
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 07:12:58 pm »
A lot of people are going to be happy with the external xtal one for the High frequency 24MHz and one for low frequency 32.768KHz

Hmm $50 for the dev kit with a PSoC and a PRoC

and two other separate kit one for a remote and one more for a mouse with trackpads both and those last two with miniprog3, you are killing me well my wife will :)

Now to decide what to get, limited time bundle get 3 for the price of 2 would be awesome but probably is asking too much :)

Glad we could get you to bother your wife with a shopping list :)

We do not have USB on PSoC 4 available today. However, we just dropped prices on Cortex-M3 based PSoC 5LP, which has USB, CAN, DFB, DelSigADC, so much more!
USB is a core competency of Cypress technology, we have USB in several of our products. Contact your local Cypress Sales for information about the future PSoC 4 roadmap, they'll have more information to share with you under NDA around a PSoC 4 with USB.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 07:18:47 pm »

He didn't say he wanted a total hackjob with a viral license. He wants a USB component. I second this.

I am a bit mixed to disappointed in the announcement. Hopefully this IoT buzzword will die faster than others. My designs don't need Bluetooth right now, and when they will, I need more than this product provides. I was hoping for something else entirely to be announced, and your roadmap only shows NDA and development/concept or nothing for the parts I am interested in (analog PSoC4, improved digital PSoC4 and more flash, not a nearly hopeless PSoC4000). You haven't said any more than what the roadmap says that I can find, so no idea if any of it will be helpful in my designs.

Hopefully others are more excited about this product than I am.

The PSoC 4 platform is expanding rapidly! The focus of this release was to address the low-power wireless sensor demand from our customers, and BLE is the de facto choice for that. The next couple PSoC 4's planned are much more analog focused. We have only scratched the surface of what the Continuous Time Blocks on PSoC 4 can be capable of. Lots more analog in the works!
The PSoC 4000, while very light on features, hits a sweet spot between price/performance for a Cortex-M0 with really good CapSense, thats also extremely low-cost.

Thanks for the great feedback! If you contact your local Cypress sale rep, they'll be glad to share more information with you.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 07:26:07 pm »
Nice to have a Cypress representative here :)

The most disappointing thing for me is amateur unfriendly packages.

Please consider selling inexpensive prototype kits similar to current 4200/4100 kits, but as small as practical.

Why, Hello to you too! :)

The two Modules (for PSoC 4 BLE or PRoC BLE) that are included as part of the $49 dev kit, will soon be available for purchase separately.
Those modules are fully self-contained systems that include - the main chip with all IOs exposed, a tuned PCB antenna, power circuitry and easy access to programming pins. These are pretty small in size for a dev kit (27x43mm) and will be cheap, we're shooting for < $10 each for these boards. Hook up some sensors, LEDs, and a coin-cell battery - and you have your complete BLE + Analog/Digital Sensing system ready to go! Did I mention these modules are also FCC-certified so you can sell them as your end product too?
Image of the PSoC 4 BLE Development Module:

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 07:31:10 pm »

But Psoc 5LP are so cheap now (went down in price dramatically) that you might aswell go for that if you need it anytime soon.

Glad you were able to meet us at Electronica. Did you get your free dev kit??

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 07:37:03 pm »

Please send Dave sample dev kits for the show, so we can see it action.

We'll send one to Dave, yes! Last time we met, he was writing a book

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 07:40:19 pm »
Wrong Dave, here is the only book he wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Internet-Dating-David-Jones-ebook/dp/B004MDLVAO

You want to send it to Dave Jones the owner of this blog & forum:

www.eevblog.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 07:49:08 pm »
Wrong Dave, here is the only book he wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Internet-Dating-David-Jones-ebook/dp/B004MDLVAO

You want to send it to Dave Jones the owner of this blog & forum:

www.eevblog.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog/videos

Ha! that miscommunication got a chuckle out of us, especially the book :)
We'll get in touch with Dave and send him a copy of the dev kit, thanks for the tip!  :-+

Offline ctz

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 09:41:47 pm »
Image of the PSoC 4 BLE Development Module:

this is really interesting. how soon is soon?

Offline paulie

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 10:08:43 pm »
On the topic of wishful thinking, in addition to allowing even low end devices like PSOC4 to run with a crystal, it would be nice if cheap dev boards (ie not $50-$100) had a real programmer instead of usb/serial adapter that don't work half the time. Or at least a functional serial bootlaoder. You know, like NXP, STM, and 3rd party clones.

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 11:37:26 pm »

But Psoc 5LP are so cheap now (went down in price dramatically) that you might as well go for that if you need it anytime soon.

Glad you were able to meet us at Electronica. Did you get your free dev kit??

Free kit where ? , sadly i was not offered one except those small psoc 4200/4300 boards but I already have loads of those.
I might as well order one but with shipping and the "long" wait times I cant incorporate the chip in my latest design...

On the topic of wishful thinking, in addition to allowing even low end devices like PSOC4 to run with a crystal, it would be nice if cheap dev boards (ie not $50-$100) had a real programmer instead of usb/serial adapter that don't work half the time. Or at least a functional serial bootlaoder. You know, like NXP, STM, and 3rd party clones.

While the Miniprog 3 cost some money it is certainly worth it. And when you don't need it need it anymore you can get most of the money back by selling it on ebay.
And if you are really committed you can build your own as the designs and the hex file (maybe also code?) is available at Cypress.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:44:26 pm by Spikee »
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 11:50:16 pm »
Ok, I'll bite.

When is Cypress going to support a *native* Linux PSOC development environment?

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 12:00:03 am »
Ok, I'll bite.

When is Cypress going to support a *native* Linux PSOC development environment?
Never unless they port their framework to something else than .net (or whatever they are using).
But a VM will make it possible for you to use. And if you are really determined you could make a diy version of it in QT to make it cross platform compatible .... but that is quite a lot of work compared to just running it in an VM.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 12:04:44 am »
Once you export the project to keil or eclipse you can keep on developing in whatever you want.

PSoC Creator support for Linux? probably never, but the compiler and deployment can be done from anywhere if you know how to do it.

You can even use an MCU to program the PSoC if you follow the programming requirements.

Edit: once you have the hex file you can just use python and one of those $4 prototype boards to program a PSoC:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/psoc-examples/msg522556/#msg522556

Full info (but windows based):
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/psoc-examples/msg522554/#msg522554

But once you have the prototype board configured you can use any OS to program a chip via python on any OS you choose.

Edit 2: Keil uVision has support for Cypress PSoC chips, not sure if their Linux version supports them as well, and it even supports the miniprog 3 if you have the drivers for windows, I know you can program the PSoC chips with some other programmers but you will have to lookup the details
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:11:32 am by miguelvp »

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 12:10:47 am »
And if you really don't want to pay the reasonable amount for the MiniProg3 you could just buy an cheap JTAG programmer on ebay and use that to program the chip.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 12:15:49 am »
And if you really don't want to pay the reasonable amount for the MiniProg3 you could just buy an cheap JTAG programmer on ebay and use that to program the chip.

Actually the MiniProg3 is included in the remote controller BLE devkit for $50 and also in the mouse Ble dev kit as well for $50, so tempted, it's worth it just for the MiniProg instead of having to use my modified kitprog running in a pioneer.

But all that said, It would be interesting to hear from Cypress what plans they have for Linux or other OS's as MarkL asked.

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 01:34:28 am »

Actually the MiniProg3 is included in the remote controller BLE devkit for $50 and also in the mouse Ble dev kit as well for $50, so tempted, it's worth it just for the MiniProg instead of having to use my modified kitprog running in a pioneer.

But all that said, It would be interesting to hear from Cypress what plans they have for Linux or other OS's as MarkL asked.

That is a pretty good deal in these kits, the miniprog3 lists alone for $89!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf