Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 2, Windows 10 IoT  (Read 1898 times)

Offline HowardlongTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Raspberry Pi 2, Windows 10 IoT
« on: February 02, 2016, 11:32:35 pm »
Well I've had a couple of stints at this and to be honest I just don't get it, and have thrown in the towel.

First stint I gave up trying to write to even get an SD card to be recognised by the  Windaz IoT SD burner software (yes, all 6 of them were the right spec). Second time, I got an image written using an out of band method, then set to following a bunch of notes on getting a Blinky to work (after a 6gig download of VS2015). These "notes" turned out to be about a hundred lines of code pasted into a solution with about a dozen source files.

And no, I couldn't even get it to compile, let alone run. And they wonder why people give up with this shit? I'm no Linux fanboy, I've been a Microtard dev for 30 years, but this very lacklustre attempt to diversify just doesn't seem to have any redeeming facets at all.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Raspberry Pi 2, Windows 10 IoT
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 02:40:55 am »
I tried XP embedded and even burned one of my technet cases just to be told to wait for the first service pack to fix all the issues I discovered.  I just added a Third Pi to my server farm as the other two have been running fine with more reliability than any windows server I've ever seen.

Offline bpye

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:22:58 am »
It's possible that the sample you downloaded was targeted at an older release, due to the early access provided by the insider program, APIs have changed since the first releases of IoT Core. It is unfortunate that you require Visual Studio for development, but it's a very useful tool, IntelliSense can often get you a lot of the way without needing anything in the way of documentation. One thing to watch out for also is that you'll need to add the IoT extension SDK, as the APIs for GPIO etc will not be available otherwise. If you made the project you are attempting to run available, I would certainly try and see why it's broken, but personally I've found IoT core to be quite a pleasant development experience.

Offline HowardlongTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 08:38:49 am »
Thank you for the replies.

You may be right that I have wrong versions and whatnot, the whole web experience for it is all over the place, however it appears from multiple posts on the subject that that I am not alone in having difficulty in getting an SD card set up for W10 IoT.

I've used Visual Studio since 6.0 so I'm not averse to using it, in fact I still use 6.0 for some things, I spent far too long using it to let go! I already had 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013 on my main dev machine (I have an MSDN enterprise subscription), but I only install a given version if I actually need it for something.

There is one minor piece of good news, they've stopped using ALL CAPS on the menu bar of VS2015 by default, a pathetic and unnecessary change that they put in a couple of version ago. There must be an army of dart-throwing monkeys at Microsoft randomly picking stuff to change for no apparent reason!

Still, I can't imagine trying this again any time soon. It is just a hugely over complicated set of tasks to try to achieve that simplest of things, a Blinky.

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:29:18 am »
I wrote a large rant here about this then deleted it and will just leave the conclusion here:

I wouldn't stick an NT kernel near that device unless you want a new asshole torn once a day.

Source: too much experience as an ex-Microsoft solution architect.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf