Author Topic: Raspberry pi looks like a pretty good contendor against arduino  (Read 51007 times)

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
Re: Raspberry pi looks like a pretty good contendor against arduino
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 10:48:18 pm »
Nope.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/terms.aspx

The 5/15 cents (I don't think they do HDCP) are not an issue. The 10k - maybe this is paid by the graphics chip manufacturer? I would say that if it already has all the HDMI pins they probably have to pay it, and RPi is just adding a connector to that so it would be ridiculous if they had to pay again...

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 10:56:03 pm »
I think the licensing is to do with labeling your product with the HDMI logo.

I don't see how an old PC (pre-hdmi) with a DVI port connected to a DVI-HDMI adapter can violate the licensing.
And if that's true, then they should be able to do HDMI without a licence as long as they don't use any HDMI logo or say it supports HDMI specs.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline jerry507

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 11:22:03 pm »
I'd love to have that much processing power in my micros, but unfortunately I'm not that good with software. This platform will be great for the subset of humanity that can write linux drivers. An arduino is much more for people who are either very new at writing software or just want some of the nice bits done for them so they can hack out an easy project faster.

Offline mobbarley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:03 am »
I'm sure you can flash an LED with your 700Mhz ARM cpu if you really want to :)

Not in real time you can't. ;) :D

sure you can, you just need to dump the scheduler - and possibly find a data sheet........

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 11:28:29 am »
AS more of a software person that a hardware hacker, I'm looking forward to seeing/getting one of these.
There are a number of projects I'd like to start that require a cheap Linux computer to run.

I have a feeling these will sell out quicker that Dave's uCurrent  :)

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 01:53:02 pm »
This platform will be great for the subset of humanity that can write linux drivers.

I don't think kernel-level programming will be a required skill to use the Pi in an embedded controller type of situation; they recently posted a video of the GertBoard GPIO expansion board, which includes some demonstration code showing how to talk to the GPIO lines just by reading and writing files in the /sys filesystem.  In the grand old Unix tradition, everything's a file!

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 01:58:54 pm »
The kernel sources.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

And another XBMC video.

Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 03:45:09 pm »
So, what are your project ideas for this? Personally I'm going to plug one behind my TV, hook up some Ir receiver, install XBMC and have a small media center, streaming videos from my NAS.

Edit: Also, another idea I had was to take a USB (web)cam, really large SD card or an external HDD and use it as a dashcam in car. Should be easy to do (given a camera with available drivers), and then I still can hook up plenty of extra stuff to it (GPS for track logging, OBD for speed/gas usage logging, playing music from SD card to car speakers, ...)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:49:33 pm by ndictu »

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 07:49:21 pm »
It would be a nice board for implementing GSM automations with cheap mobile phones with usb port.

Alexander.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 08:45:13 pm »
So, what are your project ideas for this?

A game system, similar to a Super Nintendo or SEGA Genesis in power/performance and focusing on platformers, but with HD output.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 08:53:00 pm »
So, what are your project ideas for this?

A game system, similar to a Super Nintendo or SEGA Genesis in power/performance and focusing on platformers, but with HD output.

That's pretty cool! I've seen complete emulators and multiple ROMs built into some of the old controllers, but with this you get much more power so you could do more recent stuff.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:47 pm »
Oh no, no emulator. I want to play around with something of my own design. I have always like the old-style ROM interface and this would provide it (somewhat) with either USB sticks or SD cards. Besides, I have too much respect for Nintendo and SEGA to blatantly pirate their IP.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 09:17:51 pm »
So like creating your own game (or use some linux game) with some oldschool controller?

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »
So like creating your own game (or use some linux game) with some oldschool controller?

Well, yes. I actually would probably make it more extensible by making some sort of software API, although I have never done any Linux programming. I need to think on this more. I was originally thinking about something comprehensive and general purpose, but my original plans (from several years ago) did not involve Linux. I was going to do something like this with an ARM controller and a HDMI interface. That is actually why I brought up the licensing issue. HDMI was going to require me to pay the $10,000 fee just for technical docs and this was just going to be a home project. :-\

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 09:59:50 pm »
I also had a few ideas that were supposed to use a custom design with some ARM processor and some linux, but I can't do it as well or cheap as RPi is. Also, if I base my project on a popular piece of HW more people might try it and become involved.

For example, the car dashcam will be just an USB camera, maybe USB harddrive, and then maybe some extra stuff. But the important part will be the software, which can be a collaborative work. And when I get bored with it I just unplug everything and start a new project :)

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 12:00:46 am »
Just BTW for people interested in playing video on this thing.

Yes, the Raspberry Pi uses the same CPU & video chip set as the Roku 2
models

H.264 (MP4, MOV and MKV containers)
 WMV9 (ASF, WMV)
H.264 was already confirmed earlier by RPi guys, not sure about WMV9. Beyond that nothing is confirmed, but if Roku 2 which is supposed to be some media player doesn't support more codecs I guess there is no HW support for them. (I really hope that is not the case and RPi supports more).

If there is no more HW support then using an USB optical drive for DVDs is out, so is streaming other videos from SD card/network (xvid, divx, ...)  :(

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 01:00:16 am »
They said that the HW support will be clarified soon.

I am guessing there will be extra features that the user will have to pay extra.

Alexander.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 02:51:28 am »

sure you can, you just need to dump the scheduler - and possibly find a data sheet........

Anyone who tries to code a 700Mhz ARM bare metal is either a genious or a glutton for pain.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 08:39:02 pm »

Anyone who tries to code a 700Mhz ARM bare metal is either a genious or a glutton for pain.

Depends a lot what you want to do - if all you want is to do a simple task very quickly, an OS can be more of an encumbrance than a help.
I believe the basic I/O hardware on the RPI processor will be documented, and the ARM core is of course fully documented.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 08:42:47 pm »
I don't even use arduino or other micro dev boards anymore... I use FPGA dev boards, like the Terasic DE0 Nano or Digilent Atlys; they are so so so so much better in every respect. The rasberry pi looks like it will be obsolete before it even gets released... they're trying too hard to keep the price under 30 bucks.

Offline buxtronix

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 12:49:14 pm »
I don't even use arduino or other micro dev boards anymore... I use FPGA dev boards, like the Terasic DE0 Nano or Digilent Atlys; they are so so so so much better in every respect. The rasberry pi looks like it will be obsolete before it even gets released... they're trying too hard to keep the price under 30 bucks.

The Pi is certainly not going to be obsolete. Unless your FPGA boards are credit card sized, run linux, and can have programs written from them in C, python, etc, etc...
The Digilent is HUGE, and over 10x the price. The Terasic is not the same thing at all it has USB and... a bunch of IO pins.

You are comparing apples and oranges. The Pi fits a segment that NOONE has anything for yet. So whilst it will be no good for hardcore FPGA devs, it's perfect for those who want a tiny embedded system, and who are already familiar with Linux. That's a big big market.

Offline mobbarley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 04:58:40 pm »
The Pi fits a segment that NOONE has anything for yet. So whilst it will be no good for hardcore FPGA devs, it's perfect for those who want a tiny embedded system, and who are already familiar with Linux. That's a big big market.

Yes, finding a cheap (and easy to use) embedded linux board is hard! So far i've been hacking wireless routers with openwrt just so I can use them as small systems for various things - now I can have a cheap bare PCB with a whole lot more community support.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 05:38:47 pm »
there are tons of embedded and cheap boards out there, the problem is always in front of the computer.

All these FirendlyARM S3C2410/S3C2440/S3C2416/S3C6410/s5pc100 are easy to use and cheap,
if you need cheaper than this buy a DPF like this https://sites.google.com/site/repurposelinux/df3120
(and solder maybe bigger RAM for 2$)

RPI might be a good thing too, currently it is only a nice try to have something US made
to "fight" all these Samsung SoC

I don't even use arduino or other micro dev boards anymore... I use FPGA dev boards, like the Terasic DE0 Nano or Digilent Atlys; they are so so so so much better in every respect.

i like both, FPGA and ARM (9/M3/A8), depends on need there is always something in
my "portfolio" which can be used for next project.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 01:00:51 am »
The Pi has an OpenGL 2.0 ES capable graphics chip built in, so if you want to do graphics programming on a cheap, compact platform, you can. It would be certainly of interest for the more adventurous game and graphics programmers. I'd consider using it for a custom game console or an arcade machine.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 03:15:09 am by AntiProtonBoy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf