Author Topic: Raspberry pi looks like a pretty good contendor against arduino  (Read 20861 times)

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
Re: Raspberry pi looks like a pretty good contendor against arduino
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 12:53:02 AM »
This platform will be great for the subset of humanity that can write linux drivers.

I don't think kernel-level programming will be a required skill to use the Pi in an embedded controller type of situation; they recently posted a video of the GertBoard GPIO expansion board, which includes some demonstration code showing how to talk to the GPIO lines just by reading and writing files in the /sys filesystem.  In the grand old Unix tradition, everything's a file!

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »
The kernel sources.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

And another XBMC video.

XBMC on Raspberry Pi SCALE 10x 2012

Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 02:45:09 AM »
So, what are your project ideas for this? Personally I'm going to plug one behind my TV, hook up some Ir receiver, install XBMC and have a small media center, streaming videos from my NAS.

Edit: Also, another idea I had was to take a USB (web)cam, really large SD card or an external HDD and use it as a dashcam in car. Should be easy to do (given a camera with available drivers), and then I still can hook up plenty of extra stuff to it (GPS for track logging, OBD for speed/gas usage logging, playing music from SD card to car speakers, ...)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:49:33 AM by ndictu »

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 06:49:21 AM »
It would be a nice board for implementing GSM automations with cheap mobile phones with usb port.

Alexander.

Offline MarkS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 07:45:13 AM »
So, what are your project ideas for this?

A game system, similar to a Super Nintendo or SEGA Genesis in power/performance and focusing on platformers, but with HD output.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
So, what are your project ideas for this?

A game system, similar to a Super Nintendo or SEGA Genesis in power/performance and focusing on platformers, but with HD output.

That's pretty cool! I've seen complete emulators and multiple ROMs built into some of the old controllers, but with this you get much more power so you could do more recent stuff.

Offline MarkS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 07:57:47 AM »
Oh no, no emulator. I want to play around with something of my own design. I have always like the old-style ROM interface and this would provide it (somewhat) with either USB sticks or SD cards. Besides, I have too much respect for Nintendo and SEGA to blatantly pirate their IP.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 08:17:51 AM »
So like creating your own game (or use some linux game) with some oldschool controller?

Offline MarkS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 08:24:58 AM »
So like creating your own game (or use some linux game) with some oldschool controller?

Well, yes. I actually would probably make it more extensible by making some sort of software API, although I have never done any Linux programming. I need to think on this more. I was originally thinking about something comprehensive and general purpose, but my original plans (from several years ago) did not involve Linux. I was going to do something like this with an ARM controller and a HDMI interface. That is actually why I brought up the licensing issue. HDMI was going to require me to pay the $10,000 fee just for technical docs and this was just going to be a home project. :-\

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 08:59:50 AM »
I also had a few ideas that were supposed to use a custom design with some ARM processor and some linux, but I can't do it as well or cheap as RPi is. Also, if I base my project on a popular piece of HW more people might try it and become involved.

For example, the car dashcam will be just an USB camera, maybe USB harddrive, and then maybe some extra stuff. But the important part will be the software, which can be a collaborative work. And when I get bored with it I just unplug everything and start a new project :)

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »
Just BTW for people interested in playing video on this thing.

Yes, the Raspberry Pi uses the same CPU & video chip set as the Roku 2
models

H.264 (MP4, MOV and MKV containers)
 WMV9 (ASF, WMV)

H.264 was already confirmed earlier by RPi guys, not sure about WMV9. Beyond that nothing is confirmed, but if Roku 2 which is supposed to be some media player doesn't support more codecs I guess there is no HW support for them. (I really hope that is not the case and RPi supports more).

If there is no more HW support then using an USB optical drive for DVDs is out, so is streaming other videos from SD card/network (xvid, divx, ...)  :(

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
They said that the HW support will be clarified soon.

I am guessing there will be extra features that the user will have to pay extra.

Alexander.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 01:51:28 PM »
I'm sure you can flash an LED with your 700Mhz ARM cpu if you really want to :)

Not in real time you can't. ;) :D

sure you can, you just need to dump the scheduler - and possibly find a data sheet........

Anyone who tries to code a 700Mhz ARM bare metal is either a genious or a glutton for pain.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 07:39:02 AM »
I'm sure you can flash an LED with your 700Mhz ARM cpu if you really want to :)

Not in real time you can't. ;) :D

sure you can, you just need to dump the scheduler - and possibly find a data sheet........

Anyone who tries to code a 700Mhz ARM bare metal is either a genious or a glutton for pain.

Depends a lot what you want to do - if all you want is to do a simple task very quickly, an OS can be more of an encumbrance than a help.
I believe the basic I/O hardware on the RPI processor will be documented, and the ARM core is of course fully documented.

Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics, electrical curiosities
Day Job: UFOs, LEDs etc.
Versatronics & other low-end pick & place forum

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf