Author Topic: Real Newbie question - Do I have a STM32401xC or xE ? - I have a Nucleo-F401RE  (Read 2583 times)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
I am installing Eclipse for a Nucleo-F401RE and I am at the Eclipse Target Processor settings screen

I have spent days getting this far following a book.

Now I have come to a roadblock that is not in the book.  See attached.  I am asked if I have an

STM32F401xC   or STM32F401xE   (my screen capture program will not allow me to show both but both come up).   I HAVE to pick one of these.

Since the board has an "E" in it, my guess it is xE.  But I have spent so much time getting this far, I do not want to make a wrong turn and pick the wrong one.

A google search did not help, but I got the doc that I attached

What is the difference between a C and the E ?

One more question - are there any really really simple learning resources for the STM32, or by its very nature means there cannot be?  If I get flamed over this then I will know this is not one of them.  I hope not.

thanks

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline richardman

• Frequent Contributor
The difference is minimal and generally will not affect the compiler output. You have an xE ("RE") in any case.
// richard http://imagecraft.com/
JumpStart C++ for Cortex (compiler/IDE/debugger): the fastest easiest way to get productive on Cortex-M.
Smart.IO: phone App for embedded systems with no app or wireless coding

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
The difference is minimal and generally will not affect the compiler output. You have an xE ("RE") in any case.

Question answered - thanks Richardman
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
RE is the way to go.

in cases like this, download the datasheet and it will be clear.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Hi

If you are new to embedded programming, my advice would be to NOT use Eclipse!
It is so slow and cumbersome, it has real problems in debug mode. The last thing you need when debugging embedded is not knowing if the processor has locked up or if Eclipse is off doing some background task :palm:

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
The difference is the Flash memory size.

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Hi
If you are new to embedded programming, my advice would be to NOT use Eclipse!
It is so slow and cumbersome, it has real problems in debug mode. The last thing you need when debugging embedded is not knowing if the processor has locked up or if Eclipse is off doing some background task :palm:
s

I do not think I will be using Eclipse for long.  The author warned me the book is too advance for me  :--  I do not want to spend a lot of money, I want to learn MCU for fun, I am too old to work for money  :-DD  Getting tired of solitaire.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
Since the board has an "E" in it, my guess it is xE.  But I have spent so much time getting this far, I do not want to make a wrong turn and pick the wrong one.

A google search did not help, but I got the doc that I attached

The most reliable solution to know what processor you have would be... to look at the processor on your board ;)

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
I do not think I will be using Eclipse for long.  The author warned me the book is too advance for me  :--  I do not want to spend a lot of mone

My preference is for IAR workbench. They do a free version:
https://www.iar.com/iar-embedded-workbench/#!?currentTab=free-trials
(Choose the size limited trial - that is what I have done at home)

The other alternative is emBlocks
http://www.emblocks.org/web/
I have downloaded it but have not tried it for anything yet.

Offline FreddyVictor

• Regular Contributor
another vote for Emblocks - currently using it with an ST Nucleo F401RE

only thing to bear in mind is that ST stopped updating the Std Peripheral libs, so it's not so good for newer ST parts such as STM32F7  :(

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
If you are not rich Don't wast your time with IAR you will need to sell your car to buy the compiler. the 30 days trial is to short , go with any other option except this one, is a good product but extremely expensive and in viable to use  if you are not working in a fortune 500 company

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
If you are not rich Don't wast your time with IAR

My preference is for IAR workbench. They do a free version:

Choose the size limited trial
Price = $0 or £0 or €0

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Maybe it would be good to take a couple of steps back.  Does your board look like this?
https://developer.mbed.org/platforms/ST-Nucleo-F401RE/

If so, it is very likely mbed compatible.  When you connect it to your laptop do you see a new disk drive?  Does it have the .htm file?  You need that!  You open that file with your browser to get registered at mbed.org.  I have forgotten the process.

Just give up on the installed toolchains and consider revisiting the issue when you have more experience.  They don't really bring all that much to the dance anyway.

The online mbed compiler will work very well and having the board attached to your computer will allow you to just place the automatically downloaded .bin file directly onto the board using ordinary file manager operations.  Drag and drop works...  It actually works better with Win 7 than Win 10 but it doesn't matter.

My process:  I have an open File Explorer window looking at my Downloads directory.  I 'cut' the new file, move over to a second File Explorer window looking at my mbed board.  I delete the existing .bin (not truly necessary) and paste in the new version.  Hit the reset button and done.

On Windows 7 I seem to recall the download targeting the mbed directory directly.

So, with this setup what do you lose?  Well, you lose everything you have installed, you don't need any of it.  You gain a  built-in serial port so printf() works (but you'll have to install a serial port driver) and you gain access to a TON of working code.  Yesterday I was fooling around with the new Ethernet stack.  A few lines of code and I'm making a connection.

If you don't have an mbed compatible board, get one.  You will save yourself days and days of struggling against a tide.

Here is a link to the serial port driver:
https://developer.mbed.org/handbook/Windows-serial-configuration

I followed the instructions completely and it wouldn't install.  So, I unplugged the board and tried again.  Then I plugged in the board and tried a third or fourth time and it installed.  Keep kicking it until it works!  It will work eventually and, once it does, life with printf() is a lot nicer.

You can chase toolchains down a rathole.  Who cares?  Most are based on GCC anyway whether they say so or not.  They wrap a fancy GUI around it and call it theirs (Eclipse, etc).  Truth be known, it is probably faster to just use the command line with Linux.  You can build up a Makefile that handles everything.  But that's a project that will take another week.  I have written a lot of code using GEDIT (a minimal windowing editor for Linux) and a Makefile.  So what did I do when I wanted to try out a little networking on my mbed?  I just used the online toolchain.  It's faster getting started.

When you go to mbed.org, there's a button at the upper right labeled "mbed Classic Developer Site" - that's where you want to go.  Of the several buttons on this page, I spend most of my time using the Compiler - blue button in upper right.  Once you register (whatever that means these days), entering the Compiler will bring up an IDE and you're almost ready to go.  You will have registered your board and now you need to select it in the upper right corner of the IDE.

That's it!  Sign up, open up the compiler, pick your board and you're good to go.

Yes, you lose debugging.  Mostly it's a PITA anyway.  Stack traces sound a lot cooler than they are.  Core dumps are worthless - I learned that on the IBM 1130 back in '70.  What can you possibly do with 8K words of dump.  Yes, that's all the memory we had but it still took up pages and was nigh on worthless!

Hint:  Don't put bugs in your program and you won't have to root them out.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:02:55 pm by rstofer »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf