Author Topic: Renesas RX65N Compiler / IDE  (Read 1658 times)

Offline meriororenTopic starter

• Contributor
Renesas RX65N Compiler / IDE
« on: August 01, 2017, 06:00:58 am »
Hi,

I am planning to develop a project based on Renesas RX65N microcontroller with ThreadX RTOS.
I had experience with several arm-based microcontroller from several manufacturers, but never with RX microcontrollers,
I am setting up development environment but I found the Renesas website very confusing,
basically, they have 2(?) separate IDE(s), CS+ (licensed?) and eclipse-based e2studio (free?),
is there any limitations when using e2studio compared to CS+?

Does anyone have experience on this?

Thanks

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
Re: Renesas RX65N Compiler / IDE
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:18:24 am »
Renesas themselves are promoting CS+ only in Asian countries, I don't know why. For European and American customers they recommend e2studio. I've used e2studio with RX and RL78 MCUs, and it works about as well as any other Eclipse IDE. We ran into some bugs in their GCC plugin (mostly related to linker scripts IIRC), and RL78 GCC compiler we used had some random crashes. If you like Eclipse you'll like e2studio, if you don't you won't.

Offline funkathustra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 06:06:56 pm »
e2 studio, their free Eclipse-based IDE, is great. It will work either with the free GCC compiler, or with CC-RX, which is the proprietary commercial compiler. I've never worked with the RX line specifically, but for the RL78 platform, CC-RL is far superior to the GCC RL78 compiler. I don't know what these compilers cost, but after 60 days, it goes into a code-size-limit mode. I believe the limit is 128 KB, which is way more than any of the parts I've ever used are capable of, so I probably won't be buying a compiler license any time soon.

Offline meriororenTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 03:37:44 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I am gonna go with e2studio.
However, the threadx source I am supplied with is in Cubesuite+ .mtpj project format. It does not have Makefile in it.

Looking for a way to convert this to Makefile.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf