Author Topic: S100, m68k, z80, 6502 … (for people who are interested in vintage SBC)  (Read 5350 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !

so, I was digging in the google cache for a VME board made by Eltec in 90s ...
when suddently this page emerged, and, although it is not what I was searching, it looks very impressive

browsing, this page gives a brief statement of the main points of (something?)

have fun  :D

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
Re: S100, m68k, z80, 6502 … (for people who are interested in vintage SBC)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 10:02:38 pm »
That brings back a lot of memories. I had a Godbout CompuPro S-100 system in the early 1980s. Although I miss those days for nostalgic reasons, I'd still rather have a modern PC for day-to-day use than one of those vintage systems.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 10:10:12 pm »
S-100 never really took off in the UK for some reason, but I like its onboard regulation and addressing flexibility via dip switches. Although I find its generic logic and use of GALs a bit confusing to follow.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
All vintage in one board
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 02:37:22 am »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 06:01:09 am »
modern PC for day-to-day

dude, completely different matter

a vintage system like a motorola 68000 board is all a piece of primitive hardware where the firmware is written in pure assembly, and that is fun for those who were there when PCs were that way.

we certainly have simulators, I wrote my own m68K in C (2006?), they are more confortable to be bring along if you travel,  no doubt they are funny, but having to deal with real hardware gives more fun if you can deal with your solder and those electronic things, and arduino is just too boring

being said that, frankly I don't have the time to build my own S100, I have already built my 68060 board when I was a student, it's too big to be carried along,  sometimes when I am at home I like to play with it, it also comes with an EPROM emulator (recycled from an activity I did for for a customer), it uploads things faster than a fsk, so it's very funny, but I am not directly interested in those things, I am already fine

I have opened this topic because I accidentaly found this project, and I think it might be interesting for those who are looking for their first (or second) chance to build their own vintage SBC; I mean, the S100 project comes with some project files (PCB? gerber? schematic? pieces of assembly code?) and ideas  :-+

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 06:54:03 am »
That is real hardware, It's not a simulation

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 02:35:58 pm »
It's boring - solder ten resistors, plug in some wires and then go have breakfast?

S-100 was real hardware where functionality wasn't a spare 2mm2 bit of silicon, but a whole PCA.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 03:05:15 pm »
S-100 never really took off in the UK for some reason, but I like its onboard regulation and addressing flexibility via dip switches. Although I find its generic logic and use of GALs a bit confusing to follow.

That wasn't just an S100 feature, pretty much all systems were like that.  You had boards full of IC's trying to pull 10A @5v through tiny backplane wires and multiple backplane connectors so yo would end up with some voltage drop.  The workaround was to put >5v on the backplane and regulate it local to each board.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 05:25:08 pm »
http://searle.hostei.com/grant/Multicomp/index.html

you bastard, you just made me buy fpga board :/

It's boring - solder ten resistors, plug in some wires and then go have breakfast?
S-100 was real hardware where functionality wasn't a spare 2mm2 bit of silicon, but a whole PCA.

go plow a field, with a stick. real hardware, you know
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

The following users thanked this post: ebclr

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 05:32:41 pm »
modern PC for day-to-day

dude, completely different matter

a vintage system like a motorola 68000 board is all a piece of primitive hardware where the firmware is written in pure assembly, and that is fun for those who were there when PCs were that way.

we certainly have simulators, I wrote my own m68K in C (2006?), they are more confortable to be bring along if you travel,  no doubt they are funny, but having to deal with real hardware gives more fun if you can deal with your solder and those electronic things, and arduino is just too boring

being said that, frankly I don't have the time to build my own S100, I have already built my 68060 board when I was a student, it's too big to be carried along,  sometimes when I am at home I like to play with it, it also comes with an EPROM emulator (recycled from an activity I did for for a customer), it uploads things faster than a fsk, so it's very funny, but I am not directly interested in those things, I am already fine

I have opened this topic because I accidentaly found this project, and I think it might be interesting for those who are looking for their first (or second) chance to build their own vintage SBC; I mean, the S100 project comes with some project files (PCB? gerber? schematic? pieces of assembly code?) and ideas  :-+

The last generation of S100 boards had both 80286 and I think 80486 processor boards - and ISA interface boards. That's getting pretty close to a modern computer!
--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 05:54:39 pm »
The last generation of S100 boards had both 80286 and I think 80486 processor boards -
and ISA interface boards. That's getting pretty close to a modern computer!

mm, I don't consider close to modern computers because it has the ISA bus
I have an ISA bus on an embedded 8051 board (2001?), and it's even not a PC
(that tricks adds a common lan), anyhow, I was only considering 68K boards

Offline Jr460

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 07:16:42 pm »
One of the first machines i touched.

http://oldcomputermuseum.com/mmd-1.html

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 11:17:51 am »
tini 8085 sbc  :D
(EalgeCAD files inside)

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 12:11:54 pm »
I have more than 100 NEW Z8 chips if anyone is interested.

Offline C

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 01:02:26 pm »

Worked with some CPU boards back then that were triple buss. The on board bus, system bus & local expansion bus.
The last generation of S100 boards had both 80286 and I think 80486 processor boards - and ISA interface boards. That's getting pretty close to a modern computer!
Your example is making a OLD PC
Two or more of above CPUs on system bus happened back then. A lot more power then a 80286 or 80486.
Then you add the bus extenders, local bus to system bus, system bus to system bus cards.

Current PC might use 3 way memory. A lot of memory back then took a lot of space so was connected with a memory bus. One system in 70's had a memory bus to 8 way memory memory bus adapter with cache to boost system speed. All done just for the memory time savings if next access(s) were in the block of 8. System was all ready using memory wider then CPU. Crazy cost for just a little gain. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf