Author Topic: Sainsmart Mega 2560 Arduino clone questions.  (Read 11717 times)

Offline Dark PrognosisTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Sainsmart Mega 2560 Arduino clone questions.
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:34:58 pm »
How is this product overall?  Any pros and cons about it?

I am looking at purchasing one but don't want a boat anchor or something that will have compatibility issues (seems they added/activated a few additions).

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: Sainsmart Mega 2560 Arduino clone questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:48:48 pm »
If you're talking about the r3 they doubled the memory on the chip that provides the USB interface. Not a problem in general because you're not likely to reflash that chip but if you ever did, you'd need the source so the target could be changed to 16u. I wouldn't be worried. Someone would likely already have done that anyway if it did happen.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 05:53:32 pm »
So, buying the R3 should be fine because when I went over to the official Arduino forums you should have seen how they react (not to me but others) when they would bring up any clone.  My clone was never asked about, that I found, but the venom was really flowing.

I always thought that was what OSS and OSH was about, right?  They actually made it better and charged less but is it as durable and will work with all shields?  If it is and does then what would be the issue?

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 06:01:36 pm »
but the venom was really flowing.

For a non-profit, they are pretty focused on profits, :)

Generally, as a dev board, you want more spec / features than you actually need. So that sounds fine.

I would, however, seriously consider the TI launchpad: for more value for your money, and similar interface.

One feature I really liked on the TI is the virtual com port: when you write to USART0 on the chip, the result shows up on your HyperTerminal, :)
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 06:05:08 pm »
but the venom was really flowing.

For a non-profit, they are pretty focused on profits, :)

Generally, as a dev board, you want more spec / features than you actually need. So that sounds fine.

I would, however, seriously consider the TI launchpad: for more value for your money, and similar interface.

One feature I really liked on the TI is the virtual com port: when you write to USART0 on the chip, the result shows up on your HyperTerminal, :)
I saw that board and it looked nice but is it 18 dollars delivered and how do I program it?  I find C/C++ to be best for me or the way Arduino works PLUS I can use my Microsoft Visual Studio's IDE to write for an Arduino.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 06:16:28 pm »
Well, they all look like clones of each other to me, you may find the same things at a better price.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mega-2560-R3-Mega2560-REV3-ATmega2560-16AU-Board-USB-Cable-compatible-for-arduino-in-stock-good/1304079473.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeshipping-Funduino-Mega-2560-R3-Mega2560-REV3-ATmega2560-16AU-Board-USB-Cable-compatible-arduino/949561007.html
I use Ebay because I have already had to get my money back (TWICE within one month)  for products that never arrived from China.  Right now China is batting 80% with me and that isn't all that good.  AliExpress, so I have read, isn't all that great in their return policy though they say different and frankly I don't want to contact my CC to reverse the charges.

DIG this about the MSP-EXP430F5529LP
Availability:    Out of Stock
   Available for backorder. Orders placed today will ship on approximately January 30, 2014.
WOW, that is one hell of a lead time from Ti themselves.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 06:26:56 pm by Dark Prognosis »

Offline Crazy Ape

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 06:36:15 pm »
I use Ebay because I have already had to get my money back (TWICE within one month)  for products that never arrived from China.  Right now China is batting 80% with me and that isn't all that good.  AliExpress, so I have read, isn't all that great in their return policy though they say different and frankly I don't want to contact my CC to reverse the charges.

I've never had a problem with either eBay or aliexpress that wasn't fixed in short order, the worst issue I had was with an ebay seller/scammer, and he was from the US.

These links meets your requirements though - Ebay, USA.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintron-Arduino-MEGA-2560-R3-ATmega2560-Starter-Reference-PDF-Files-in-US-/181138138195
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-Compatible-Mega-R3-2560-ATMEGA-Funduino-Fast-US-Shipping-/251314174880
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 06:38:40 pm by Crazy Ape »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 06:41:51 pm »
Btw, I asked a few sellers about the stuff they are selling and they are 100% ignorant. :(

Take this as an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370823805359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That is perfect for the project I plan to build but the seller could not tell me anything and no datasheet for it.  Well, how in the world do they sell anything like that?  Pig in a poke situation but the price is perfect and anything more I can't go as I will be buying the 2560 as well.

I asked two sellers about this LCD module and one never replied and the other had no idea about anything but at least he replied unlike the other.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 06:43:35 pm by Dark Prognosis »

Offline Crazy Ape

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 06:54:54 pm »
Yeah, it's just another sale item as far as the Chinese are concerned. Often if you have a look at 'sellers other items', they'll be selling everything from phones to handbags, to toys, clothing, to ........ well, you see the pattern.

Agreed, they know nothing about what they sell.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 06:57:07 pm »
If the Chinese govt ever stopped subsidizing their mail these people would dry up and die I think.  That is the biggest hindrance to Europeans, US, or hell the entire world is that the shipping is not free but for the Chinese it is.  If you notice they all come in the same type of packets.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 07:02:29 pm »
Well there's always avrfreaks but they may steer you towards avr C
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Crazy Ape

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 07:07:43 pm »
Some info on that LCD screen. Most of these things are HD44780 compatible though.

LCM 2004A 2004 204 20X4 Compatible with HD44780 blue backlight white character#30073

2004A LCD module with J204A character display LCD module 20 * 4mm LCD / LCM 5v blue color, a new high-quality 4 line 20 character LCD module not only set the contrast control knob selector switch also has a backlight and IIC communication interface. For Arduino beginners, not for the cumbersome and complex LCD driver circuit connection and a headache, the real significance of this LCD module will simplify the circuit, this module directly into the Arduino Sensor Shield V5.0 sensor expansion board IIC device interface can, GM 4P sensor connection cable, programmed through the Arduino controller, you can easily identify the slogan, sensor data records

1:outline size(mm):98.0*60.0*14.0
2:lcd type:STN,GRAY,Transfective/positive
3:display type:20(character)*4(line)
4:viewing area(mm):70.4*20.8
5:active area(mm):70.4*20.8
6:dots size(mm):0.55*0.55
7:DOT pitch(mm):0.60*0.60
8:character size(mm):4.75*2.95
9:view direction:12 O'clock
10:driving method:1/16duty,1/5bias,5.0V
11:blacklight:yellow-green
12:operation temperature:0 to +50C
13:storage temperature:-10 to +60C

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 07:12:07 pm »
Well there's always avrfreaks but they may steer you towards avr C
Not familiar with that one.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 07:12:45 pm »
Some info on that LCD screen. Most of these things are HD44780 compatible though.

snip
Perfect, thanks.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 07:18:10 pm »
If the Chinese govt ever stopped subsidizing their mail these people would dry up and die I think.  That is the biggest hindrance to Europeans, US, or hell the entire world is that the shipping is not free but for the Chinese it is.  If you notice they all come in the same type of packets.

Why should shipping not cost less in China?  The biggest expense in running a postal service is labor, obviously that is cheaper in China than the US or Europe.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 07:51:48 pm »
Take this as an example

Let me see: dog-matrix led, 20x8, 16 pin connection, .... sounds too much like a hd44780-compatible, doesn't it?

I don't fully understand your complaint. There is always a cost, more often than not a high cost, to low prices. In this case, you can buy the display from a local vendor (if you are lucky) or from a reputable distributor or even an oem. You get quality support and good documents, and you pay through your nose for that.

Or you can save a few dollars and get one from ebay, no support and minimum / no documentation.

Life isn't fair, fortunately.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 07:56:39 pm »

Why should shipping not cost less in China?  The biggest expense in running a postal service is labor, obviously that is cheaper in China than the US or Europe.
It is subsidized, like their gasoline, and has absolutely nothing to do with labor costs but it has to do with fairness and slavery of the people.  That is a subject for another thread though as it is a HUGE subject all on its own.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 07:59:14 pm »
Take this as an example

Let me see: dog-matrix led, 20x8, 16 pin connection, .... sounds too much like a hd44780-compatible, doesn't it?

I don't fully understand your complaint. There is always a cost, more often than not a high cost, to low prices. In this case, you can buy the display from a local vendor (if you are lucky) or from a reputable distributor or even an oem. You get quality support and good documents, and you pay through your nose for that.

Or you can save a few dollars and get one from ebay, no support and minimum / no documentation.

Life isn't fair, fortunately.
I was complaining that the bastards selling this stuff are just beyond ignorant.  I mean if I call, or email, any single place in the world that is selling the items I am looking at they would answer with links, and some knowledge but these guys are just dumb slaves.  Not their fault they are just stooges for their govt's world takeover plans so I don't blame them I was just saying it sucks.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 08:01:57 pm »
It is subsidized

By who? to whom?

Mailing a letter in China costs pennies (usd). Mailing the same letter from China to the US costs about half a dollar - that should tell you something.

The mail office (China Post) is hugely profitable, and contributes its profit to the central government.

It helps if you know what you are talking about.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 08:04:58 pm »
they would answer

Yeah, you are expecting a level of services from those vendors. The reason they are selling it at such a low price is that they don't provide such services.

If you do expect such services, buy from a place that offers such services.

End of the story.

The solution to your story is simple: either you have money or you have time / knowledge. If you have neither, game over.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 08:18:29 pm »
It is subsidized

By who? to whom?

Mailing a letter in China costs pennies (usd). Mailing the same letter from China to the US costs about half a dollar - that should tell you something.

The mail office (China Post) is hugely profitable, and contributes its profit to the central government.

It helps if you know what you are talking about.
Really?  Let me tell you something the same crap that is mailed to me for free from China no effing place in this world can mail it to me for free too.  Hell, if I want to mail it back to them for a warranty issue the damn things cost more than what I paid for it.  Try mailing back a solar panel for warranty work then come kiss my ass in your bewilderment as seeing the postage cost from you to them but from them to you is next to nothing.

edit: When I said subsidized this is what I meant
When you send an item TO China, you are paying your own country's rate for mailing.

Mailing FROM China is inexpensive due to yuan (the chinese dollar) being artificially low. China buys foreign money to keep the yuan from increasing in value. This keeps exporters happy because they have an artificial edge on foreign competition.

The US & other foreign nations has tried to pressure China to increase the Yuan to its more realistic value, but China does not care since it increases more business to China.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:34:52 pm by Dark Prognosis »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf