Author Topic: Segger J-Link EDU or J-Link clone, which one would you get?  (Read 80632 times)

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
Re: Segger J-Link EDU or J-Link clone, which one would you get?
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2016, 11:18:50 am »
But that's what he asked for!?
... use loadbin to load an M0 program into SRAM instead of Flash
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:20:29 am by 0xdeadbeef »
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline abyrvalg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2016, 07:26:30 pm »
Like to reprogram you can use "loadbin" and to dump "savebin". Details are described in the J-Link user manual.
It's not fancy, but should provide the same functionality as J-Flash.
It doesn't. J-Flash has flash loaders and sector maps for this, commander doesn't.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2016, 08:07:56 pm »
It doesn't. J-Flash has flash loaders and sector maps for this, commander doesn't.
I'm not sure I can follow you there. As far as I recall, you can program bin files at any address, J-Link Commander will erase the sectors automatically and select the correct flash algorithm. So it has to know the flash sector map and it has to have proper flash algorithms (if that is what you mean with "loaders"). That's why you have to select the device. Actually, you can do quite a few things that J-Flash can't like setting breakpoints and the like, but I never did this.

Admittedly, the command line interface is something to get used to, but you can put all the commands in a script and execute that from a batchfile or whatever.
A 2nd problem with programming through J-Link Commander is that it only accepts binary (bin) files. However, even without a license, you can use J-Flash to create a bin from hex/mot to bin.
And of course there are lots of other tools for hex/mot/bin conversion.

Anyway, there is also a little tool called "J-FLash Lite" in the default software package that let's you reprogram through a minimalist GUI without a J-Flash license if that's what you want.
Unfortunately, whoever did this was too lazy to allow sizing of the initial device selection dialog, so you can't read the text if you're using a non-standard text size (DPI scaling > 100).
That's something you could excuse for a ten year old in his/her 1st program. Even as free tool in a commercial package, it's somewhat embarrassing. Still, it works. Any hey, you can even load mot/hex directly.
Letting aside the GUI scaling issues, the only things J-Flash Lite can't do is to dump or to unlock the device if this is needed. Then you need to go back to J-Link Commander.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2016, 07:04:22 pm »
Everything you need to know is here
Way too complicated and unnecessary.
not necessarily complicated. just follow/download SAM-BA guide as discussed there if the clone is bricked, download fw from http://www.vxworks6.com/2beanet/embedded/arm/458-jlink-v8-schematic-and-firmware.html as ones backup. edit some bytes in the *.bin and *.dll at some location offsets. i think i can follow it, much easier than cracking the rigol dso fw i guess. but since my clone is working with uVision5 now (by resisting upgrade) i dont need to do all that for now, but i'm documenting and downloading the necesssary files in case i need it in the future... in case you need the latest driver rev, just crack 1 or 2 bytes in the *.dll as outlined there..
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline GromBeestje

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2017, 06:12:13 pm »
Segger has recently released a new model, EDU mini, ( https://www.segger.com/news/segger-introduces-j-link-edu-mini-a-low-cost-j-link-for-education/ )
for only € 17,85.

The following users thanked this post: evb149

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2017, 04:58:09 pm »
Segger has recently released a new model, EDU mini, ( https://www.segger.com/news/segger-introduces-j-link-edu-mini-a-low-cost-j-link-for-education/ )
for only € 17,85.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

It looks like the big differences between it and the standard J-Link are: 1/5 the download speed, SWD only. The Segger website implies that it only supports Cortex-M (the standard J-Link supports ARM7/9 and Cortex-A/R/M).
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2017, 03:45:59 am »
Rev 10 J-Link edu

Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline mac.6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2017, 08:40:41 am »
for only € 17,85.

It looks like the big differences between it and the standard J-Link are: 1/5 the download speed, SWD only. The Segger website implies that it only supports Cortex-M (the standard J-Link supports ARM7/9 and Cortex-A/R/M).

It's pretty much the J-link you got on some dev board. Fully functional but slow.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2017, 10:11:22 pm »

Its a bit annoying that they only mention the speed limitation in this news release. I read the product page: https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/j-link-edu-mini/ and manual and didn't notice it anywhere there.

Its nice to see though, the fact that $2 stlinks have been around for a while seemed to stir up some innovative ideas.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2017, 06:30:00 am »
I am wondering this: what if I bought a J-Link clone, took it apart, and loaded CMSIS-DAP firmware on it before using it?

Also what if I took the J-Link clone (with the likely pirated or reverse engineered Seeger firmware,) but instead of using the Segger software, used OpenOCD from day one?

Also what if instead of the clone I did the above using a genuine J-Link EDU?

Offline ehughes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2017, 11:49:21 am »
Jlink + Ozone is worth the price.    Get a real one and don't support the clones.   

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2017, 03:57:10 pm »
Get a real one and don't support the clones.

Hear hear! Companies should compete with Segger by developing a better product, not by copying their existing product.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

The following users thanked this post: Kalvin, Heszu

Offline zelea2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2020, 09:20:12 pm »
Read this if you want to see the differences between a genuine and clone J-Link

https://uglyduck.vajn.icu/ep/archive/2019/05/Unbricking_a_SEGGER_J_Link_v9_debug_probe.html

The following users thanked this post: photovore, thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf