Author Topic: SHARC 21065 DSP Development Progress  (Read 4667 times)

Offline diyaudioTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
SHARC 21065 DSP Development Progress
« on: December 09, 2014, 04:09:20 pm »
Hi Guys.

Last few months I've been busy doing research on the SHARC DSP Platform from Analogue Devices (As I promised myself I would get around doing it, round about this time of the year when things are more relaxed)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/anyone-work-with-sharc-processors/msg413151/#msg413151

* I got hold of a few 21065 DSP`s from Ebay for $10 each, they "seem" like the original(s) I'm still in speculating mode though.
* I bought a ICE clone for $500, works well with (Visual DSP++), unfortunately it doesn't "seem" to work with CrossCore.

These older generation processors are still rather powerful processors 66Mhz for "simple or complex" audio DSP applications, I figured this would be a good diy project for a introduction hardware and software development DIY project on this DSP platform.

Attached are the unfinished PCB layouts, its also the first time I'm using Altium.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:16:40 pm by diyaudio »

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SHARC 21065 DSP Development Progress
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 04:55:50 pm »
Where's the audio I/O? I think you need to route spare gpio pins to 2.54" header for future upgrades.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 05:02:50 pm »
Where's the audio I/O? I think you need to route spare gpio pins to 2.54" header for future upgrades.

Hi Scrts

The audio in will be received as serial I2S format on (RX0 A,B  and RX1 A,B) and Audio Out on channels (TX0 A,B and TX1 A,B), Flags F9,10,11 are for general I/O communications, LEDS F1,2 and 3 are also general push-button communications.Note there is also IRQ1,2 and 3 for ISR based I/O and 2 PWM channels, I basically used all of the available I/O pins on the processor.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:06:56 pm by diyaudio »

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:43:22 pm »
Without a ground-plane does it really work well?
The power trace also goes from huge to tiny and then goes around the IC via multiple vias.

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:44:57 pm »
just one word: WOW  ;D

i like this technology, and i like SHARC DSP
unfortunately i can only toy with Blackfin for hobbies
lucky you are =)

p.s.
let me ask how good is the clone ICE
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:31:13 pm by legacy »

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:54:19 pm »
Without a ground-plane does it really work well?
The power trace also goes from huge to tiny and then goes around the IC via multiple vias.

correct, no ground-plane, not yet I did periodically add and remove a copper pour just to see how it looks.

As for the power lines... you think its to flimsy? the processor pins are 0.2mm 208-Lead MQFP (very tiny) I used 0.3mm traces to join all the processor`s VDD lines, and a 1mm main supply trace from the 3.3V LDO regulator forming a tear-drop join to the 0.3mm VDD processor lines. (surely its capable of supplying enough current to the processor) the rest of the board is 0.2mm for the signal and memory lines.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:21:30 pm by diyaudio »

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 10:01:04 pm »
just one word: WOW  ;D

i like this technology, and i like SHARC DSP
unfortunately i can only toy with Blackfin for hobbies
like you are =)

p.s.
let me ask how good is the clone ICE

I feel your enthusiasm, I have it as well ;), these devices are simply amazing, the specifications are amazing.

I haven't personally tested the ICE clone with all the SHARC processors (but the demos says it can program all of them), it can do the whole Blackfin family range (vie tested it on my mini BF533 dev board) it can also program the BF6XX (except the Tiger SHARC family)

It works well using Visual DSP++ (which is now obsolete), there are a few posts that claim it can work with CrossCore Studio but... I haven't had any success with it.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:26:58 pm by diyaudio »

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 01:42:50 am »
How big are those vias? They look microscopic.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 09:12:40 am »
I would rotate the power supply 90deg clockwise, so the caps would end up close to the DSP. Also it seems like decoupling caps are missing?

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 01:22:58 pm »
@diyaudio
i got a BF537 elite board + an original AD ICE-100B, it's wonderful under VisualDSP++ v5.*
i payed 250 euro for the whole, i was lucky, it is for second hands :D

may be you develop a kit for Sharc ? The eval board is very expensive

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 02:34:15 pm »
@diyaudio
i got a BF537 elite board + an original AD ICE-100B, it's wonderful under VisualDSP++ v5.*
i payed 250 euro for the whole, i was lucky, it is for second hands :D

may be you develop a kit for Sharc ? The eval board is very expensive

yeah, that's a good price Google results claim it works with CrossCore. looks like im stuck.

Me develop a SHARC kit? maybe... its a long shot, many iterations (would be expensive though)... lots out there yet they all seem expensive.

I will probably upgrade to something like a ADSP21369 DSP something more modern in the future, for now I will toy with this. I hope the dam thing boot up once the board is done, its a long shot so much room for error.

I'm using a 1MB ST flash memory and X2 512K SRAM memory for the initial design. All analog A/D and D/A processing will be done on another daughter board to keep everything modular.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:37:02 pm by diyaudio »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf