Author Topic: Small Form factor FPGA/CPLD chip  (Read 5059 times)

Offline man_mariusTopic starter

• Contributor
Small Form factor FPGA/CPLD chip
« on: October 23, 2018, 07:30:01 am »
Hi everyone
I am working on a manchester decoding, I have the code running on a zybo board FPGA.  I want to design a small standalone digital board stand that can run my VHDL. Can anyone recommend a small form factor FPGA/CPLD chip( preferably xilinx chip ) that I can download my code to.

I have been researching on how to design an FPGA board, but it seems a lot of work. Most of the work done are for big FPGA chips while am looking for something with a lot less pins and logic gates cells

• Contributor
Re: Small Form factor FPGA/CPLD chip
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:23:01 am »
I have found two small factor chips, a CPLD and an FPGA , there a bit overkill but I have no other choices. These are
CoolRunner XC2C32 (CPLD)and Spartan 6 XA6SLX4 (FPGA) which one is better?

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 08:26:17 am »
Sure something like this:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/lattice-semiconductor-corporation/LCMXO2-1200ZE-1UWG25ITR1K/220-2125-1-ND/6568474

Small FPGA with only 1280 cells and a tiny 0.4mm pitch BGA package including boot flash and operation from a single 3.3V rail. Tho more seriously you would probably consider using them in the 100 or 144 pin TQFP packages that are easy to hand solder.

The IDE tools for Lattice are not as good as Xilinix however, but they are fine for simple tasks.

Online PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 08:35:33 am »
I have found two small factor chips, a CPLD and an FPGA , there a bit overkill but I have no other choices. These are
CoolRunner XC2C32 (CPLD)and Spartan 6 XA6SLX4 (FPGA) which one is better?

Why do you think you have no other choices ?
Between the two you have listed, there is a large jump !
For very simple logic that is small, there is also SiLego.

Do you want a low cost eval board, or a compact-package ?
What package can you manage ? - there are small FPGA in QFN32 and QFN48 packages - try a Search in Digikey by package.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:54:19 am »
I want a low cost one

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 10:30:20 am »
Have a look at, per example, MAX10 or Lattice parts. They both have an option for very small packages. Downsider: to be able to route them you'll need stupid tight design rules which will limit your manufacturing options and make manufacturing more expensive.

If they can be a bit bigger than that: look at small QFP packages as others have suggested as that will be easier to route and manufacture.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 12:02:27 pm »
Have a look at, per example, MAX10 or Lattice parts. They both have an option for very small packages. Downsider: to be able to route them you'll need stupid tight design rules which will limit your manufacturing options and make manufacturing more expensive.

If they can be a bit bigger than that: look at small QFP packages as others have suggested as that will be easier to route and manufacture.

I will just use a bigger one, routing rules are not my strong suite

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 12:21:59 pm »
Can't you implement Manchester encoding using a low cost microcontroller?

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 01:19:20 pm »
There are few logic cells inside newer PIC16s, which is enough for Manchester decoding:

http://www.microchip.com/wwwAppNotes/AppNotes.aspx?appnote=en559942

Offline Wiljan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 01:23:24 pm »
Microsemi IGLOO nano FPGA you can get as small as 3x3 mm
https://www.microsemi.com/product-directory/fpgas/1689-igloo#igloo-nano

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 01:31:59 pm »
I can but the speed of the data is too high, the microcontroller will be too slow for those speed,  |O
The speed is 564.48kbit\s

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 01:35:05 pm »
Lattice XO2 has a couple of qfn32s, and a csp if you wnt stupidly small
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 01:49:30 pm »
What about the really cheap Coolrunner 2 CPLD boards you see on eBay? I think that not many pins have been broken out but it might do the job.

Sorry - just re-read and saw you were after a chip alone. Nevermind. Might suit other use cases, so I'll leave this post here anyway.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:52:37 pm by Fred27 »

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 01:53:20 pm »
I can but the speed of the data is too high, the microcontroller will be too slow for those speed,  |O

What makes you think that?

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 02:11:00 pm »
It looks like Microchip is making AVR chips with Configurable Logic Cell, price for the ATTINY is around $0.50 for a single device purchase:

https://www.microchip.com/design-centers/8-bit/peripherals/core-independent/configurable-logic-cell

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 04:39:02 pm »
We have no clue about the requirements/size of your design.

If a small FPGA is what you're after, I second the iCE40 series. Very cheap, small and still powerful.

Offline TimCambridge

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 06:01:01 pm »
Sure something like this:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/lattice-semiconductor-corporation/LCMXO2-1200ZE-1UWG25ITR1K/220-2125-1-ND/6568474

Small FPGA with only 1280 cells and a tiny 0.4mm pitch BGA package including boot flash and operation from a single 3.3V rail. Tho more seriously you would probably consider using them in the 100 or 144 pin TQFP packages that are easy to hand solder.

The IDE tools for Lattice are not as good as Xilinix however, but they are fine for simple tasks.

Caution, ZE parts are 1.2V. You may mean 1200HC, though they don't come in the 0.4mm BGA package.

Online PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 11:36:16 pm »
I want a low cost one

That is hopelessly vague. You have not defined how much Logic needs to embed, or what 'low cost' means to you.

If all you need is Manchester encoding, the Config Logic Cells that are in Microchip/SiLabs newer MCUs will manage that.

If that CLU is not enough, the ATF16V8BQL (20p 8MC) ATF22V10CQZ (24p, 10MC) SPLDs can manage quite complex bit-encodes, and they come in easy to use packages.

This forum even has useful links...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/current-inexpensive-programmer-for-22v10_s-16v8_s/
http://www.autoelectric.cn/en/tl866_main.html
 The TL866II looks to have recently added the ATF22V10CQZ
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:58:37 pm by PCB.Wiz »

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 05:10:34 am »

Caution, ZE parts are 1.2V. You may mean 1200HC, though they don't come in the 0.4mm BGA package.

Ah yeah forgot that Lattice gotcha. FPGAs in general tend to have a lot of hidden quirks to watch out for. But with lattice you generally don't want to use the small BGA chips anyway because they are a living hell to make a PCB for (Microvias or via in pad costs a damn fortune to manufacture without massive volumes)

You probably want the QFN packages if you are going for size and don't already have a fancy high density PCB already. At lattice all the big pitch BGAs are also high pin count so they are just as big as the TQFP ones.

Offline Wiljan

• Regular Contributor

Offline chiplukes

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 05:07:41 pm »
About 5 years ago I did something very similar to what you are describing.  I used a PIC 16F1508 with the CLC blocks used for the manchester encoding.  Communications to/from this PIC were running at 1Mbps.  The design used assembly and I had to optimize the receive and transmit ISR sections to get that data rate, but overall it worked quite well.

You can do a lot with these sub-dollar PICs.

Otherwise, I would look at Lattice FPGAs as others have suggested.  Open source toolchains exist for some of their FPGAs.

You may want to check out this project:

https://tinyfpga.com/

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 10:31:14 pm »
Pic32mm in qfn24 may also.be worth a look
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 01:13:45 am »
I think Lattice has the smallest and cheapest FPGAs, like the ICE40LP640-SWG16TR50, which is only 1,4 mm x 1,5 mm, but has still 640 logic cells, more than enough for Manchester decoding. But might be difficult to route and to solder. For Xilinx you could use a XC9572XL-10VQG44C. Much bigger, 10 mm x 10 mm, but can be even hand soldered, and works with 3.3 V (the Lattice part needs 1.2 V). You should try first if your design fits in it.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Online forrestc

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 09:09:39 am »

Take a look at Microchip Appnote AN1470.   Shows you how to do manchester decoding using the CLC and NCO peripherals in a PIC16F1509 processor.  $1.12USD in singles.     Just eyeballing the appnote, it looks like you should be able to clock this particular processor fast enough to do the decode.   Note that the CLC and NCO peripherals are 'Core Independent Peripherals' which means once the processor sets it up, they run without any help from the CPU.  So at the bare minimum you should be able to do the decode itself. 

There are also other processors with more or less of various resources that also include the CLC and NCO peripherals.     So depending on what you want to do with the data afterwards, you might find a processor which will do everything including the decode for you.   

There are other documents/appnotes for encoding if you need that side as well.

In searching for that Appnote, I note that several other microcontroller manufacturers have similar peripherals, can't vouch for any of them though...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf