Author Topic: ...  (Read 11044 times)

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
Re: Someone is selling Artix-7 Zynqs at a massive discount - legit?
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 02:17:29 pm »
I'm having a strange issue with the schematic for wiring up an 8-bit DDR3 to this chip, since I want to stay at 4 layers. The 512x8 DDR3 chip has 16 address bits [15:0], but the 256x16 DDR3s have only 15 [14:0], and apparently the Zynq bank 502 doesn't have a 16th address bit either. I can't find any documentation on what to do with the DDR's A15 pin - any suggestions?

Options are to let it float or tie to 1V5/ground.
If you don't want to use smaller density ICs with 15 address lines (I personally would've chosen that option), you can tie unused address line high or low (it doesn't really matter either way), but don't let it float! Keep in mind that different density ICs have different refresh times, so make sure you specify correct parameters when setting up DDR3 controller.

Also - I would love to see how you managed to breakout DDR3 lines using only 2 layers (as other two will need to be reference planes to maintain signal integrity). DDR3 traces NEED to have UNBROKEN reference plane along their entire length. This is even more so if you want to use DDR3L as it has even smaller margin than regular DDR3. Even with 0.1 mm traces and 0.2 mm drills process that would not be easy as Zynq is in 0.8mm pitch BGA package so you can't fit two traces between balls/vias.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:09:38 pm by asmi »

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 04:20:38 pm »
I should have realized the lack of a 16th address bit means I can only access half of the actual depth (0-256 of 512M), so there's no benefit to using the DDR3-x8 ICs. I considered using DDR3L, but minimizing voltage bus count feels more useful than reducing cost/power. On this board, at least.
Make sure your 1.5 V rail can provide enough current - DDR3 can have huge transient currents (in the order of few Amps!), and if you PMIC (or power source) isn't quite up to task, you could get hard-to-debug issues caused by 1V5 rail going places. Also Xilinx recommends using termination to Vtt, so you will need tracking regulator for that. Read Ch.5 of UG933 very carefully and do as they say. Unless you are willing to experiment (read - got money to burn on possible board respins) that is.

I'm not even at the stage where I can work on the layout yet - still have to get an Ethernet PHY into the schematic. I may livestream the layout towards the end of this week if anyone's interested.
I doubt I can make it on the livestream (as my spare time is always sketchy), but would love to watch full-length recording at my own schedule. Don't mind 5+ hrs long YT videos at all.
But like I said, I seriously doubt you would be able to make it work on 4 layers. It least I couldn't make even much simpler Artix-7 + DDR3L x8 work on 4 layers without violating DDR3 layout requirements.
My first 6-layer boards are now on their way to me - looking forward to get my hands on them :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:26:52 pm by asmi »

Offline ThomasDK

• Regular Contributor
  • B.Eng. EE
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 09:12:35 pm »
I'm having a strange issue with the schematic for wiring up an 8-bit DDR3 to this chip, since I want to stay at 4 layers. The 512x8 DDR3 chip has 16 address bits [15:0], but the 256x16 DDR3s have only 15 [14:0], and apparently the Zynq bank 502 doesn't have a 16th address bit either. I can't find any documentation on what to do with the DDR's A15 pin - any suggestions?

The Zynq PS only supports 16 and 32 bit databus, so you need at least 16 bits.

The address bus is behind the data lines, stretching all the way in to the 7th row  :scared:  (see attached)

I doubt it can be fanned out in 4 layers, I would go for 6. This would also allow a 32 bit databus, doubling the memory bandwidth  :box:.

Thomas

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 10:39:43 pm »

The Zynq PS only supports 16 and 32 bit databus, so you need at least 16 bits.

The address bus is behind the data lines, stretching all the way in to the 7th row  :scared:  (see attached)

I doubt it can be fanned out in 4 layers, I would go for 6. This would also allow a 32 bit databus, doubling the memory bandwidth  :box:.

Thomas

The TRM states (section 10.1.15) that the PS supports from 8- to -32 on all Artix-7 devices except the z7007s and z7010. Did you find a different source somewhere, or am I reading it incorrectly?
Components of minimum x8, for a total bus width of 16 or 32 bits.

Offline ThomasDK

• Regular Contributor
  • B.Eng. EE
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 10:49:43 pm »
The TRM states (section 10.1.15) that the PS supports from 8- to -32 on all Artix-7 devices except the z7007s and z7010. Did you find a different source somewhere, or am I reading it incorrectly?

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_1/platform_studio/ps_r_gui_zynq_tab.htm

Note 8 bit interfaces are not supported; however, 8-bit parts can be used to create 16/32-bit interfaces.

Offline eeviking

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 04:08:24 pm »
I also have a bunch of DDR3L MT41K128M16JT-125 IT:K FBGA's if anyone is interested :D
Will they work with the Zynq?

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 06:43:49 pm »
I also have a bunch of DDR3L MT41K128M16JT-125 IT:K FBGA's if anyone is interested :D
Will they work with the Zynq?
I've just ordered some of those exact modules from Arrow, as I couldn't find them anywhere else.
I don't see any reason why they won't work with Zynq.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf