Author Topic: souliss, an open-source alternative to ZigBee and Z-Wave  (Read 3298 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
souliss, an open-source alternative to ZigBee and Z-Wave
« on: December 13, 2016, 07:38:52 am »
It takes advantage of the Arduino ecosystem to have thousand of variants available for your smart objects around your home, souliss is an open-source alternative to ZigBee and Z-Wave. All designs (firmware, application and boards) are released in open source.

have a look  :-+

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Re: souliss, an open-source alternative to ZigBee and Z-Wave
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 10:53:39 am »
Problem: There are 14 competing standards...

Solution: We'll create a new, open standard that encompasses all their abilities!

Problem: There are 15 competing standards...
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:57:26 am »
good point  :-+

I was just curious to know if someone is following the souliss project of if he/she finds it useful or just interesting.

Offline dferyance

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 02:33:36 pm »
At least from a brief look at the web site I don't see it competing with the wireless standards. It tries to describe itself as that, but I don't see it doing that. Instead, it looks like a messaging protocol with some client and server code. 
system based on Ethernet and RS485
It piggy-backs on existing networking / wireless standards. Sounds a bit like it hides what networking layer is used. This makes sense to me but a lot of network libraries do the same.

Souliss code is distributed under license GNU GPLv3
I personally like the GPL, but this is a deal-breaker for most companies.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 04:58:16 pm »
how is this a competitor for Z-wave ?

- it has no radio's apart from wifi (wifi space is already very congested)
- not a low power solution( these sp82xx is power hungry... zwave can run for two years off double-a cells )
- requires one of the 'approved' hardware boxes
- only android app...
- not a headless system like z-wave ( zwave does not require a central controller)
- no mesh network with packet forwarding ( zwave nodes are also routing capable and can forward packets to out-of-reach nodes)

i'd like to see a small board with a radio that can sip power from mains and be built into a lightswitch. kind of like all the z-wave commercial lightswitches/dimmers out there.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 05:43:06 pm »
If a hobbyist really wants to "compete" with Z-Wave, IMO the best course of action would not be to develop a new standard, but rather to continue the reverse-engineering work and produce an interoperable (yet open-source) Z-Wave implementation on CCxxxx or other commodity wireless hardware.  This would be of immense value to the community, and a great way to "stick it to the man" at the same time.  I also think it is quite feasible, with the exception of the secure/encrypted aspects, which most off-the-shelf devices don't (didn't?) use anyway.

Also, here's the xkcd cartoon referenced above, in case someone didn't catch the allusion :)
https://xkcd.com/927/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf