Author Topic: Starter Kits with 2 USB Ports from NXP / ST  (Read 7845 times)

Offline ZeroResistanceTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Starter Kits with 2 USB Ports from NXP / ST
« on: October 28, 2016, 12:01:02 pm »
I'm looking for starter kits with  2 USB Ports (device) these could be FS ports but higher (HS) is also OK.

I would have preferred PIC32 but as of today they don't have chips with 2 USB ports.

Preferably the chips would be the popular ARM Cortex M series ...

I don't have any vendor preference but  NXP / ST seem to be extremely popular for this line of chips.

After searching the forum I have currently found this link https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/microcontroller-with-2-usb-device-controllers/msg216539/#msg216539 he recommends the STM32F4DISCOVERY and based on STM32F407VGT6 however he had posted that 3 years ago.

I would like a few more options before taking a final descision, would love to hear your suggestions.

TIA
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:07:02 pm by ZeroResistance »

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
Re: Starter Kits with 2 USB Ports from NXP / ST
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 12:58:31 pm »
Arduino Due? I know that is not a board from NXP or ST, but it is still an ARM-based dev kit.

One of the two USB ports comes directly from the ATSAM3X8E and is a high-speed OTG port. The other, a full-speed device port, comes from the ATmega16U2 on the same board that serves the purpose of USB to Serial adapter by default, and can be used to store your own code too. The two microcontrollers can talk to each other using the serial port.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 02:26:46 pm »
Arduino Due? I know that is not a board from NXP or ST, but it is still an ARM-based dev kit.

One of the two USB ports comes directly from the ATSAM3X8E and is a high-speed OTG port. The other, a full-speed device port, comes from the ATmega16U2 on the same board that serves the purpose of USB to Serial adapter by default, and can be used to store your own code too. The two microcontrollers can talk to each other using the serial port.

Thanks technix! I need to have a closer look at that board but point noted. The reason I  specifically mentioned NXP / ST is I had opened another thread on this forum https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/migration-from-pic-to-arm/ and a lot of posters referred to either NXP or ST infact I must admit that completely forgot about offerings from Atmel, but now that you have bought up the point how do their offerings compare to those of ST / NXP.

Preferably If I buy a board with a that has a chip from a particular supplier I would like to stick with that supplier for production too..

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 03:18:35 pm »

Thanks technix! I need to have a closer look at that board but point noted. The reason I  specifically mentioned NXP / ST is I had opened another thread on this forum https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/migration-from-pic-to-arm/ and a lot of posters referred to either NXP or ST infact I must admit that completely forgot about offerings from Atmel, but now that you have bought up the point how do their offerings compare to those of ST / NXP.

Preferably If I buy a board with a that has a chip from a particular supplier I would like to stick with that supplier for production too..

Arduino Due had two USB ports, but that is implemented using two USB microcontrollers each with one USB port. If your project needs to use both, you will have to split the project in halves, with one of the two ports being implemented in AVR on the ATmega16U2, and the other being implemented in ARM on the ATSAM3X8E, and the two chips talking to each other over UART Serial.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 06:29:00 pm »
Arduino Due had two USB ports, but that is implemented using two USB microcontrollers each with one USB port. If your project needs to use both, you will have to split the project in halves, with one of the two ports being implemented in AVR on the ATmega16U2, and the other being implemented in ARM on the ATSAM3X8E, and the two chips talking to each other over UART Serial.

Thanks for the info.
I would have preferred a single chip solution because I would be quite happy to stay with the PIC, unfortunately they don't have a chip with 2 USB ports.

Offline skytoastar

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 07:57:13 pm »
The MSP-EXP430F5529LP launchpad only has one USB port but it has two USB devices on board. It uses a TUSB2046, which is a USB hub, to allow the PC to connect to both devices (the debugger and the MSP430F5529's USB port). Perhaps it would be possible to "turn it around" and have the single USB upstream port connected to the microcontroller. (Not on the kit board, obviously, but in a project.)

In other words, maybe you can use a hub? If you want a dev kit where the chip as its own dedicated usb port, the EFM32 kits from Silicon labs have that (e.g. EFM32LG-STK3600 or EFM32GG-STK3700). The second USB port is used for debugging. I'm not sure of the possibility of coding the use a hub, though.

Edit: From Silicon Lab application note AN0801: "The EFM32 USB Host Stack does not support hubs."  :(

Another edit: It looks like MSP430 USB-enabled chips can only be a "device" and not a "host".

Edit 3: TI's TivaC series of chips may allow a hub to connect when it's acting as a host. See "TivaWare USB Library for C Series User's Guide" http://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/spmu297 Section 3.4.2 "Hub Class Driver"
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:13:56 pm by skytoastar »

The following users thanked this post: ZeroResistance

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 08:07:22 pm »
Thanks for the info.
I would have preferred a single chip solution because I would be quite happy to stay with the PIC, unfortunately they don't have a chip with 2 USB ports.
What are you trying to do? What does your system look like? Speed requirements?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 08:19:42 pm »
I am not aware of any ST micro having 2 USB interfaces. You can get some of the Nucleo/Discovery boards with 2 USB connectors, but one is for the built-in ST-Link debugger.

What do you need 2 USB interfaces for? Can't you use a HUB? Or implement a composite device that behaves as 2 devices?

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 10:13:42 pm »
I would have preferred PIC32
PIC32 you want + PIC16F1454 (<$1 @ 100+). Just a thought, since you probably won't get 2 usb in one unless you move up into 'high(er) powered' ($$) chips.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 11:35:51 pm »
It looks like STM32F446 has USB FS and HS. STM32F745 and a few other F7xx as well. Port can be either can be host or device.

I am not aware of any ST micro having 2 USB interfaces. You can get some of the Nucleo/Discovery boards with 2 USB connectors, but one is for the built-in ST-Link debugger.

What do you need 2 USB interfaces for? Can't you use a HUB? Or implement a composite device that behaves as 2 devices?
On amp hour one use was as passthrough to monitor packets or inject data.
They were using an LPC part to do this.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ehughes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 01:33:53 am »
http://www.nxp.com/products/reference-designs/lpcxpresso4367-development-board:OM13088

LPC4367 Based.  $30 Triple Core (M4+M0+M0) :-)   2 USB ports.   

I use the LPC43xx series for dual USB.  I typically use the high speed port for the USB host (480MBit) and the full speed for external comms.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:36:03 am by ehughes »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 02:11:01 am »

Quote from: nctnico

A PS/2 KM switch
I need to connect a PS/2 keyboard / mouse to the controller and then each usb would be connected to a seperate PC.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 02:17:58 am »
The MSP-EXP430F5529LP launchpad only has one USB port but it has two USB devices on board. It uses a TUSB2046, which is a USB hub, to allow the PC to connect to both devices (the debugger and the MSP430F5529's USB port). Perhaps it would be possible to "turn it around" and have the single USB upstream port connected to the microcontroller. (Not on the kit board, obviously, but in a project.)

In other words, maybe you can use a hub? If you want a dev kit where the chip as its own dedicated usb port, the EFM32 kits from Silicon labs have that (e.g. EFM32LG-STK3600 or EFM32GG-STK3700). The second USB port is used for debugging. I'm not sure of the possibility of coding the use a hub, though.

Edit: From Silicon Lab application note AN0801: "The EFM32 USB Host Stack does not support hubs."  :(

Another edit: It looks like MSP430 USB-enabled chips can only be a "device" and not a "host".

Edit 3: TI's TivaC series of chips may allow a hub to connect when it's acting as a host. See "TivaWare USB Library for C Series User's Guide" http://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/spmu297 Section 3.4.2 "Hub Class Driver"

Thank's for the amount of research you did however based on the feedback from other threads I'm more tilted towards the ARM Cortex Mx series...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 02:19:49 am »
http://www.nxp.com/products/reference-designs/lpcxpresso4367-development-board:OM13088

LPC4367 Based.  $30 Triple Core (M4+M0+M0) :-)   2 USB ports.   

I use the LPC43xx series for dual USB.  I typically use the high speed port for the USB host (480MBit) and the full speed for external comms.

Good catch! Anything with only M3/M4?, I mean triple core is way too much horsepower... but I'll keep that on my list. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:21:43 am by ZeroResistance »

Offline skytoastar

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 02:25:55 am »
Thank's for the amount of research you did however based on the feedback from other threads I'm more tilted towards the ARM Cortex Mx series...

TI's Tiva C series are based on a Cortex M4 and EFM32 is either M3 or M4 (for those that have USB). Though I mentioned using it as a host. Whereas if you want it connected to two PCs, you're talking about a dual-device config. I'm not so sure how that would work...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:28:20 am by skytoastar »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 02:30:30 am »

TI's Tiva C series are based on a Cortex M4 and EFM32 is either M3 or M4 (for those that have USB). Though I mentioned using it as a host. Whereas if you want it connected to two PCs, you're talking about a dual-device config. I'm not so sure how that would work...

I didn't look much into TI so I must admit I'm not on stable ground here but having said that how do the chips compare to NXP / ST ... bang/buck?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 03:11:24 am »
Also found this page https://www.lpcware.com/content/project/Dual-USB-Host-Device-solution it seems to be 3 years old but lists 3 mcu's

Need dual Hi-Speed USB functionality in your next product design? This solution brings together everything you'll need to implement dual-USB functionality - host, device, or dual-role - in your LPC microcontroller-based product designs. The demos include:

Two Hi-Speed USB device controllers operating simultaneously for input and output (HS-FS, HS-HS, or FS-FS also possible)

Hi-Speed USB port acting in dual-role mode (first as HS host then as HS device)

This comprehensive solution takes advantage of the LPC1837 microcontroller's dual Hi-Speed USB ports as well as host and device controllers to enable easy evaluation of the LPC1800 family for dual-port and dual-role USB applications. The LPC MCU portfolio also includes other dual-USB parts (LPC4000 and LPC4300 families) that are ideal for use in high-performance dual-USB applications.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 07:12:57 am »
Another chip from NXP

K26_180: Kinetis K26-180 MHz, Dual High-Speed & Full-speed USBs, 2MB Flash MCUs based on ARM® Cortex®-M4.

However these are around USD10 @ 10Kpcs

And also the following series

LPC1800 - ARM Cortex M3

LPC4000 / 4400 - ARM Cortex M4

But all these seem to be high end and expensive
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 07:24:39 am by ZeroResistance »

Offline mac.6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 08:06:26 am »
Be sure to target MCU with integrated phy as it will simplify a lot your design.
if K26 is too expensive, you have K65/K66 , dual USB FS+HS with integrated phy.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 08:13:38 am »
STM32F4 has 2 USB ports, but for one you need to add an external USB phy (it operates 480Mbit/s though).
E.g. STM32F405 even has it

Also STM32F205.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 08:15:49 am »
Be sure to target MCU with integrated phy as it will simplify a lot your design.
if K26 is too expensive, you have K65/K66 , dual USB FS+HS with integrated phy.

MK66FN2M0VLQ18 of K66 series $7 @ 10Kpcs looks like most dual USB devices are high end.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:53:00 pm by ZeroResistance »

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 03:18:44 pm »
So, if you decide you want to control an additional pc or two (3 to 4 usb),  you have to add another $7 chip. Or, just use something like a 16f1454 for each usb port needed, each port/chip is a dollar, they all can run the same firmware, and the only problem left is to determine which pic gets to talk to the keyboard/mouse. Maybe you have a lot more going on than just a simple ps2-to-hid conversion, though.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:23:28 pm by cv007 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 06:06:14 pm »
So, if you decide you want to control an additional pc or two (3 to 4 usb),  you have to add another $7 chip. Or, just use something like a 16f1454 for each usb port needed, each port/chip is a dollar, they all can run the same firmware, and the only problem left is to determine which pic gets to talk to the keyboard/mouse. Maybe you have a lot more going on than just a simple ps2-to-hid conversion, though.

Just a thought.

Yes, I think its not feasable any more the cost of the chips are high but I'll just have a last look at ST to see what they have as Hans and other's have mentioned otherwise its back to the PIC's.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 06:32:34 pm »
Quote from: nctnico

A PS/2 KM switch
I need to connect a PS/2 keyboard / mouse to the controller and then each usb would be connected to a seperate PC.
If the keyboard/mouse don't need to operate on both PCs simultaneously I'd put an analog switch or relay between the 2 (or more) USB ports. The selected PC will enumerate the keyboard & mouse after switching connecting the device. AFAIK that is how all USB based KVM switches work because there will be some status updates towards the keyboard and/or mouse as well (caps light, maybe mouse sensitibity).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 08:54:13 pm »
Why not use 2 micros sharing the keyboard/mouse instead? You could use a multiplexer to switch them over between the micros. That is much easier to do than finding a cheap micro with 2 USB ports.

Then you can use two cheap small micros you will find anywhere. Definitely easier than designing in a very expensive high end micro only for its 2 USB interfaces.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 09:36:19 pm »
Why not use 2 micros sharing the keyboard/mouse instead? You could use a multiplexer to switch them over between the micros. That is much easier to do than finding a cheap micro with 2 USB ports.
In that case use a multipole switch to select between two PS/2 to  (readily made off the shelve) USB converters.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 04:50:19 am »
In that case use a multipole switch to select between two PS/2 to  (readily made off the shelve) USB converters.
In that case, you might as well use one of those ready-made KVM switch. I have 4 computers sharing one console, and I have an ATEN CS1794 USB+HDMI KVMP switch for this.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 05:37:51 am »

Yes, that's the obvious solution. I have suggested the multiplexer, because it is easier/cheaper to find than a multipole switch  or relay needed to switch the 4 separate data lines for the mouse & keyboard and can be also electronically controled, if required. Then the inputs can be switched using a cheap push button.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:40:46 am by janoc »

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 05:39:24 am »
In that case, you might as well use one of those ready-made KVM switch. I have 4 computers sharing one console, and I have an ATEN CS1794 USB+HDMI KVMP switch for this.

Perhaps the OP has some particular reason why they are designing a KVM switch from scratch.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf