Author Topic: Arduino Shields on sale at radio shack stores in the USA  (Read 8242 times)

Offline bhilly82Topic starter

• Contributor
Arduino Shields on sale at radio shack stores in the USA
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:05:10 am »
I just decided to pick up a Arduino and went into radio shack.  They had all the add on Shields for $2.99-$7.99.  With most being under $5.  Just thought i would share this info so anyone that is into the Arduino that live in The USA can go to there Radio Shack and get some good deals.

Offline Greyersting

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics noob
Re: Arduino Shields on sale at radio shack stores in the USA
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:19:55 am »
Most everything is overpriced there but surprisingly they sell shields really cheap (Official Arduino shields, not by other companies.  They sell some of those for around $50 here.)
Contact-
Greyersting2@gmail.com

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:38:16 am »
Most everything is overpriced there but surprisingly they sell shields really cheap (Official Arduino shields, not by other companies.  They sell some of those for around $50 here.)

I know,  but when they clearance things, the really slash the prices.  The kid working there said they are only going to sell the arduino controllers and only sell the seeed shields.  I bought all the motor shields and proto shields they had   for $2.99 each.   

Offline Greyersting

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics noob
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 02:29:08 am »

I know,  but when they clearance things, the really slash the prices.  The kid working there said they are only going to sell the arduino controllers and only sell the seeed shields.  I bought all the motor shields and proto shields they had   for $2.99 each.

Yea it's the seeed shields that they sell for way too much.
Contact-
Greyersting2@gmail.com

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:07:07 pm »
I was just there a few days ago and they had some 80% off blowout sign on the window but didn't see a single thing on sale but they did lower the prices on protoboard a bit. Shields seemed to be the same price as always.  Single transistors are still 1.49 each.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 04:29:38 pm »
I just hit 5 RS stores in my area.  I spent $90 in one place and $10 in the other.  There was little on sale but after I was done, there was nothing left.

One manager thanked me because now he has nothing to return to the warehouse.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 05:38:58 pm »
Arduino doesn't fit their business model. They can't slap an extended warranty or data plan on it.

Offline walshms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 06:26:52 pm »
One wonders why they picked it up in the first place.  Radio Shack has always been the place to spend three times too much for something because you needed it right away.  It amazes me that they've survived to this day.

Offline Greyersting

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics noob
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 02:12:41 am »
One wonders why they picked it up in the first place.  Radio Shack has always been the place to spend three times too much for something because you needed it right away.  It amazes me that they've survived to this day.

At the Radioshack here they sell the LEDs for about $1.50 each.
Contact-
Greyersting2@gmail.com

Offline chicken

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rusty Coder
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 02:39:58 am »
It's nice to be able to get an Arduino, perfboard, etc. when in a pinch on a Sunday afternoon. And at least least the (genuine) Arduino cost the same as everywhere else.

Offline thehic

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 03:02:22 am »
I'm New To Electronics and I Love it But I have been to Radio Shack 2 times this month. First trip I bought a Digital Soldier Station, extractor and some other goodies. The second time for some heat shrink and some solder-less terminals. Each time the sales person had no idea what or where the items were so when I found them they acted like it was something new. $200 + at Radio Shack. Not no more. Bad service. Sorry thehic
You are Right
Everythings is marked Down

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 05:46:53 am »
In the early 80s Radio Shack was my favorite store in the whole world. I used to check the mailbox each Wednesday to see if the weekly flyer had arrived. And also each month bother my parents to take me there to get my free battery.

I always went for 9V batteries, because 9V batteries could power more cool things and would make a tiny spark if shorted.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 11:41:26 am »
In the early 80s Radio Shack was my favorite store in the whole world. I used to check the mailbox each Wednesday to see if the weekly flyer had arrived. And also each month bother my parents to take me there to get my free battery.

I always went for 9V batteries, because 9V batteries could power more cool things and would make a tiny spark if shorted.

Yea I remember going to Radio Shack with my Grandpal to get small parts,  there drawers were always full and over half the store was parts drawers.  Now my "big" radio shack is mostly cell phones and 4 Sets of drawers.

But as said before we now live in a throw away society.  Most people don't even think to fix electronics anymore.

Offline Dark Prognosis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 05:50:46 pm »
[snip]
But as said before we now live in a throw away society.  Most people don't even think to fix electronics anymore.
QFT and QFE!!!!

No ahields around me for over 300 miles but where I live now they throw away perfectly good electronics that might need a new 50 cent switch because most people do not have the time, patience, tools, and mentality to fix these things.  The electronics field is dead overall as there are just a few of us left these days.

Take a look at how things are being built by the Chinese and sold for a dollar at the Dollar Tree.  They last for a little bit then you buy it again, or the next revision of it.

Hell, China will take us over very soon but most of our land will be filled up with their crap they made for 20+ years to the point of over filling our landfills.  Have fun with that.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 12:30:33 am »
Woohoo! My Radio Shack had nothing but I needed a UV LED so I ended up at the other store. They were also sold out of shields but I picked up a Velleman k8048 pic programmer experimenter board and pic based TV tennis mk122ntsc for a total of $10! I have no PIC experience up to this point so it will be a nice addition.

Offline dhiltonp

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 06:57:41 pm »
I checked online, and...nothing :/

Still, now I know to watch their clearance prices on electronics... though I doubt many components go on clearance.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 11:25:10 pm »
Radio Shack is expensive for most things, yes, but when you NEED a 10-ohm resistor, it is nice to know there's an RS nearby that has it.  The price of convenience, I guess.

They're still having sales near me.  Look for the blue tags.  I bought several component kits for less than the price of the lidded compartment box would go for elsewhere.  Each RS seems to have different things on sale.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 12:17:56 am »
The sales appear to be store specific, so check the stores, not the website.

Offline dhiltonp

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 08:40:15 pm »
I should specify that I used the online store to check for local store inventory.

Rigby: that sounds interesting. I'll have to physically stop by to double-check.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 08:56:31 pm »
Note that you won't get the clearance prices at franchise stores, only at corporate ones  :(

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 09:24:25 pm »
How can you tell a corporate store from a franchise store?
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 11:21:17 pm »

On the website, the franchise stores aren't eligible for "ship to store".  Otherwise, ask them :)

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 04:25:16 pm »

Malls have corporate stores, franchise stores often have very old merchandise, and obviously, no clearance items.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf