Author Topic: STM32WB, dual Core and 2.4ghz RF SOC  (Read 2836 times)

Offline MTTopic starter

• Super Contributor
STM32WB, dual Core and 2.4ghz RF SOC
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:52:14 pm »
http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/about/media-center/press-item.html/p4013.html

http://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers/stm32wb-series.html?icmp=tt6577_gl_pron_feb2018&querycriteria=productId=SS1961

sampling to lead customers in Q1 2018, priced from $1.56 for high-volume 
M4-based microcontroller to run the main application as well as an Arm Cortex-M0+ core to offload the main processor and offer real time operation on the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) 5 and IEEE 802.15.4 radio. The radio can also run other wireless protocols concurrently, including OpenThread, ZigBee®, or proprietary protocols, giving even more options for connecting devices to the Internet of Things (IoT).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:55:48 pm by MT »

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
Re: STM32WB, dual Core and 2.4ghz RF SOC
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:14:25 pm »
If the quality and documentation of the radio part is anything like their "blue nrg" parts, watch out!  We had to develop a product with one of these at my last job and I vowed to stick with Nordic in the future if I have any say in the matter.

I'm also curious if the radio registers are documented at the lowest level, allowing a creative hacker to do anything that the radio hardware is physically capable of, or if it is just like everyone else's wireless SoC where the radio-control core is off-limits to developers and the only access is through a corporate-provided API.  This is the only thing which would tempt me to give these a closer look.  For example, I think it would be neat if someone developed an open-source LoRa modem for non-Semtech silicon.  That way the SoC maker is off the hook for the IP violation because all they did was provide the radio and a nice register interface.

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:13:46 am »
If the quality and documentation of the radio part is anything like their "blue nrg" parts, watch out!  We had to develop a product with one of these at my last job and I vowed to stick with Nordic in the future if I have any say in the matter.

I'm also curious if the radio registers are documented at the lowest level, allowing a creative hacker to do anything that the radio hardware is physically capable of, or if it is just like everyone else's wireless SoC where the radio-control core is off-limits to developers and the only access is through a corporate-provided API.  This is the only thing which would tempt me to give these a closer look.  For example, I think it would be neat if someone developed an open-source LoRa modem for non-Semtech silicon.  That way the SoC maker is off the hook for the IP violation because all they did was provide the radio and a nice register interface.

Also remember the STM32W? Also a terrible part that has been scrubbed from mentions on their website.
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 04:44:55 pm »

Let's just hope they didn't scrub all mentions to the actual way of use of the chips and shove everyone down the Cube/HAL pipeline.

The chip itself seem to me like a low power RF frontend, a STM32L0 and a STM23L4+ being glued together to me. It would be interesting to see how ST implements cross-core IPC.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:47:46 pm by technix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf