Author Topic: STM8L-Discovery: Separating the programmer  (Read 22696 times)

Offline ju1ceTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: STM8L-Discovery: Separating the programmer
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 06:03:05 am »
@Ju1ce
What compiler are you using for the STM8 ?
I have 4 STM8S boards , just for using the Jtag part as a Versaloon Arm-Jtag SWD Dongle.

Meaning , i have 4 STM8 boards (separated from the Jtag) , that just lies around.

But .... TI is launching a $5 Cortex M4 "Launchpad" in late september.
http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad_site/stellaris.html

If periphs are nice on those , then i's suggest to di..h the STM8 (unless you'd need 1K+ for a proj)

/Bingo
I'm using IAR. It's not like I'm married to a microcontroller family, I just like to try new chips. I have previous experience with 8-bit AVRs and MSP430's, so I have a lot of choices for my projects.

I got a TI Stellaris Cortex M3 dev board a few days ago to tinker with and registered my interest in the new launchpad. They (especially the level of documentation) seem nice and definitely have their place. With them I am also enable to develop using my Linux box, which is a huge plus.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 11:42:18 am »
@Ju1ce
What compiler are you using for the STM8 ?
I have 4 STM8S boards , just for using the Jtag part as a Versaloon Arm-Jtag SWD Dongle.

Meaning , i have 4 STM8 boards (separated from the Jtag) , that just lies around.

But .... TI is launching a $5 Cortex M4 "Launchpad" in late september.
http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad_site/stellaris.html

If periphs are nice on those , then i's suggest to di..h the STM8 (unless you'd need 1K+ for a proj)

/Bingo
I'm using IAR. It's not like I'm married to a microcontroller family, I just like to try new chips. I have previous experience with 8-bit AVRs and MSP430's, so I have a lot of choices for my projects.

I got a TI Stellaris Cortex M3 dev board a few days ago to tinker with and registered my interest in the new launchpad. They (especially the level of documentation) seem nice and definitely have their place. With them I am also enable to develop using my Linux box, which is a huge plus.

That's the uC spirit! Try out every single uC ... it can come handy when you know most uC's

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 12:36:20 pm »
I've played with this for a few nights and I'm starting to think that STM8 microcontrollers are quite nice. They are quite affordable, they have a lot of on-chip peripherals (like DAC, on-chip unique id, RTC etc.) and the register design seems quite logical. The biggest annoyance is the lack of decent (gcc) dev tools, which is a bit sad as it is a good chip.

I think I may use STM8 chips in the future if I need a peripheral that isn't found on ATmegas or MSP430s (like a 12-bit DAC) and the application is not math intensive (that's for ARM chips).

Yup, pretty much agreed on all of that. I went over the msp430 + stm8 + nxp and to a lesser extent atmel and microchip as well, and for stuff that is not super cpu intensive but does need lots of peripherals at a low price, the STM8 looks pretty good IMO. What I like most about it is that you actually get to use all your analog inputs and all your pwm outputs and your SPI etc. On others (notably MSP430) there's too much conflicting pin usage. That is, the analog inputs block using other features such as PWM or SPI/UART/etc.

The only reason I didn't rush to the store to get me 234234 of these is the so-so experience with STM32F4 toolchains. If the situation is the same for STM8S ==> meh. Ideally I'd like to do development for STM8S on linux, but if all else fails I'd even try IAR under windoze. Is there a free IAR edition with for example limited code size or something?

Also, since you say you are using IAR for STM8 ... how's the experience. Easy and happy ^_^? Grumble grumble frigging fracking tools grumble? Anything in between?

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 04:54:37 pm »
And plus according to ST the STM8 seems like the kings of 8bitters ... of speed

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 05:35:38 pm »
And plus according to ST the STM8 seems like the kings of 8bitters ... of speed

No doubt according to ST the STM8 is the king of <fill_in_marketing_blah_here/>. :P But in the 1.00 - 2.00 euro range they do indeed have nice ST8's with lots of peripherals for the price. Now if ST would make an effort to provide good toolchains they might actually be king in reality instead of in the minds of those in the marketing dept. :P

Offline ju1ceTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 11:07:28 am »
The only reason I didn't rush to the store to get me 234234 of these is the so-so experience with STM32F4 toolchains. If the situation is the same for STM8S ==> meh. Ideally I'd like to do development for STM8S on linux, but if all else fails I'd even try IAR under windoze. Is there a free IAR edition with for example limited code size or something?

Also, since you say you are using IAR for STM8 ... how's the experience. Easy and happy ^_^? Grumble grumble frigging fracking tools grumble? Anything in between?
"IAR Embedded Workbench for STM8 Kickstart edition" is free but has a 8K size limit. There was only one packet to install and it worked pretty much out of the box after I figured out that I need to run the IDE as administrator to get the debugger working. After that I tried the example codes and they compiled and worked without a hitch.

All in all, IAR is not ideal but it works.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 12:09:41 pm »
most of the STM8 that i use don't go over 8k flash anyway  :P
Anyway

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf