Author Topic: TI - MSP430F2012: Findings to share  (Read 2066 times)

Offline tolsen5468Topic starter

TI - MSP430F2012: Findings to share
« on: March 16, 2015, 07:26:04 pm »
Im sure there's someone out there that can explain everything I'm about to say, but I'm just a beginner reaching out to other beginners. Also looking for maybe some help from the community as well.

To start off I'm using a TI MSP430F2012 which is a 14 pin PDIP Micro on a TI launchpad (MSP-EXP430G2) using energia (because I'm using a Mac and I'm deep into the arduino world).

So here's what I've found: Besides downloading the actual energia software you must also install the supporting drivers to run the serial communications (a moment of stupidity on my part).
Next: In order to program that chip, you must select the msp430g2231(1MHz)  board selected, which under the specs of the chip it's claimed to have a max internal clock of 16MHz at the voltage being supplied by the board so I thought that you would use one of the other 16MHz boards in the settings to program, wrong again, I then looked at the data sheet and saw "Active Mode: 220 µA at 1 MHz, 2.2 V" so it would make sense that it would be programmed with the 1MHz chip selected, among other reasons as well.
Lastly: I was trying to get my bearings on how the serial communications worked in energia compared to arduino and I found that although in the setup you can call "Serial.begin(9600);" which would indicate a 9600 baud communications, right? I guess not because when I have it loop a simple serial.print and a delay it came up with a bunch of symbols which would be common with selecting the wrong baud in the serial monitor, so after selecting a few, 4800 baud worked perfectly, I'm sure there's some explanation for why you can declare a 9600 rate on the micro but then have to read it at a 4800 rate, just an interesting observation.

Now I'm reaching out to someone in the world for some help. I have a 16x2 LCD screen with an I2c interface, and I know my msp430f2012 has I2c communication. I have an arduino library that can run the LCD from an arduino over I2c, but I have yet to find such a library for energia. Does anybody know if I can use that library in energia, or is there a library that someone knows of? If neither does anyone want to help contribute in making such a library?

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
Re: TI - MSP430F2012: Findings to share
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:06 pm »
Your first two issues are energia related.

If the arduino code is written for the same display and the i2c routines on the map are identical or similar to those on the avr, you can easily reuse them.

I would however suggest that this may be a good time to move away from arduino or energia.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: TI - MSP430F2012: Findings to share
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:36:16 pm »
A quick google showed me that there are some i2c libs for energia. Might check on nthe 43oh message board to see if anyone has done an LCD one.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf