Author Topic: TrueStudio v9 released - 100% Free but only for STM32  (Read 2267 times)

Offline plastygroveTopic starter

• Contributor
TrueStudio v9 released - 100% Free but only for STM32
« on: January 20, 2018, 12:09:51 am »
Since I'm working with STM32 at the moment, this is good news. Just installed it and am happy to say the nag screen is gone and the pro features like memory and fault analyser are now available. To be fair, since v8 didn't limit the code size and I wasn't really using the pro-features, the real benefit for me is the annoying nag screen going away.

I suppose I'll have to now use a different IDE if I ever choose to use Atmel, NXP or any other ARM microcontroller apart from STM32.

Imported a project from v8 workspace to v9 and it works fine.

More details in the links below.

Blog Announcement
Revision History
Download link
Upgrade guide

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Hawke

Offline mubes

• Regular Contributor
  • Do Not Boil
Re: TrueStudio v9 released - 100% Free but only for STM32
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 01:17:23 pm »
The real good stuff about this move is that you get full access to things like swo and etb....that allows you to do logging and post-mortem analysis of how your code came to be at this place. It's a huge step forward for cortex-m to have this stuff available for free and a real game changer for ST.

The probes needed to support most of these features are cheap too ... A simple STLink or JLink is enough for basic output and, as far as I know, the stuff even supports JTrace for full fat streaming trace! I'm currently pestering them to support orbuculum and orbtrace cos that would give you trace output on a $25 adaptor board.

Dave

Offline plastygroveTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: TrueStudio v9 released - 100% Free but only for STM32
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 04:11:44 pm »
I had to google for SWO (Single Wire Output) and ETB (Embedded Trace Buffer) :). That's so cool, I had no idea Cortex-M was capable of such complex debugging capabilities. Definitely something for me to learn more about!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf