Author Topic: Unsolicited MPLAB Xpress board  (Read 5083 times)

Offline rolycatTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Unsolicited MPLAB Xpress board
« on: July 22, 2016, 11:32:38 am »
I have just received an MPLAB Xpress evaluation board, sent from Microchip Ireland.

No cover letter, no associated email, nothing but an envelope containing the board in a cute little cardboard wrapper and a paper schematic.

I've had an online account with them for years, but never used MPLAB Xpress.

Anyone else get one of these out of the blue?

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: Unsolicited MPLAB Xpress board
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 12:08:48 pm »
I have just received an MPLAB Xpress evaluation board, sent from Microchip Ireland.

No cover letter, no associated email, nothing but an envelope containing the board in a cute little cardboard wrapper and a paper schematic.

I've had an online account with them for years, but never used MPLAB Xpress.

Anyone else get one of these out of the blue?

Nope, but it's an interesting little board, looks like a USB dedicated ICSP programmer attached to a small dev board. It can be used with MPLABX as a general purpose board as well.

I got one a few months back and after the initial curiosity wore off, it's back in its box on a shelf.

Offline elecman14

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 02:29:23 pm »
Microchip had a form on their website awhile ago that if you filled it out you got a free board. The delivery time for mine was a couple of months. If I remember correctly all I received was a board in a small box with no letter. Maybe you filled out the form and forgot or maybe they think they can sell you some stuff  O0.

Offline rolycatTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 02:45:45 pm »
Microchip had a form on their website awhile ago that if you filled it out you got a free board. The delivery time for mine was a couple of months. If I remember correctly all I received was a board in a small box with no letter. Maybe you filled out the form and forgot or maybe they think they can sell you some stuff  O0.

I don't use 8 bit PICs much these days, so it was interesting to see that newer chips now have the PPS pin remapping feature from the PIC24 range. Very handy, that.

Maybe they can sell me some stuff...

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 04:57:12 pm »
I got mine today too!
This is a nice surpise, I applied for the free board raffle but i never received confirmation or anything

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 10:36:29 pm »

I don't use 8 bit PICs much these days, so it was interesting to see that newer chips now have the PPS pin remapping feature from the PIC24 range. Very handy, that.

Maybe they can sell me some stuff...

These new(ish) 16f18xxx devices have reinvigorated my interest in the 8 bitters. I've already used the 8 pin 16f18313 in a number of projects, amazing little device.

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 10:37:15 pm »
I too received an unsolicited email telling me a board would be on the way, but I had moved so my address was incorrect. Signed in and updated my address but haven't received anything. There are no orders on my account for this board, only other orders I had placed.

A confirmation in the e-mail would have been nice.

If anything was sent. I do hope the recipient uses the board. (Almost certainly though, they will not.)

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:02:40 am »
I paid for one of these - it cost about a fiver.

However, I have a weird problem. When plugged into one Mac, the drive to which you download the code to program it shows up as READONLY. On another Mac, it shows up as READWRITE. Weird. Has anyone else seen this? Or got a suggestion for a fix? (Trying to reformat the board fails).

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 11:49:24 am »
i'll check with mine tonight

(i have yet to use it)

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 12:21:39 pm »
Gits never sent me one!

Where did you buy yours from for £5? The cheapest I can find it is around £8 but then you got to either spend over £30 or pay £4 / £5 for delivery!

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 03:39:03 pm »
Try this link. US$10 + free delivery.
www.microchip.com/Xpress

That indeed was what I was referring to; you may need the code  EXPINTRO16.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 05:23:32 am »
A bit disappointed in this board to be honest, unless I've missed something there's no onboard debugger, just a bootloader self-programmer, and it doesn't directly interface with MPLAB X for programming as far as I can see, you have to generate a hex file and copy it to the device.

For me it's little more than a toy, and of no use for development if it doesn't directly integrate with the tools.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 05:30:32 am »
heh, the average child/maker doesn't care for that (he uses arduino after all)
he wants something good to go, easy to use and self sufficient.

the main point against pic micros i heard the last few years was that the programmer was too pricey. from that point of view this bootloader is very insteresting

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 07:18:54 am »
A sad thing is that at about the same time that Arduino first started, there was also the "USB BitWhacker", which also plugged directly into USB and used a bootloader to bypass the need for a traditional programmer, and was similar in cost and capabilities (#pins, etc) to the original Arduinos.  All it lacked was a free and capable  HLL compiler, the hubris to target non-programmers, and evangelists of the caliber that Arduino somehow managed to acquire...   An interesting set of boards to compare!  ( http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW/index.html )

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 11:26:11 am »
Thanks wilfred + ralphrmartin for the link / info!

I'll check it out.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 12:41:11 pm »
I built a few UBW clones on matrix board, nice way to get used to using the Microchip USB stack but it lacked quite a bit compared to Arduino so most of mine either got torn down or remade as MCHPFSUSB dev board clones.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf