Author Topic: Updated Pi Zero..  (Read 8910 times)

Offline hamster_nzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Updated Pi Zero..
« on: May 16, 2016, 10:05:26 am »
There is a new Pi Zero out, with a camera connector. Better order quick if you want one...
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: Updated Pi Zero..
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:08:06 am »
There is a new Pi Zero out, with a camera connector. Better order quick if you want one...

Got  mine on order, I also managed to pick up a few of the first 'free' Zeros on the front of the magazine, they're leading useful and fulfilling lives.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 10:25:27 am »
wanted to get one, though the 10£ shipping kinda takes away the whole point of the thing..

Online linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 02:36:01 am »
I'm here in silicon valley and I'm not aware of any local places that stock it.  we USED to have a great microcenter store but now its a wallyworld (sigh) and MC has not come back to the bay area.

the $5 computer does not exist for most of us.  if you have to pay shipping, it kind of kills the deal, for the most part.

there are lots of small linux boards now.  and the pi STILL has a broken-by-design usb system.  I wish they'd fix that, but I don't think they can with the SoC they are using.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 03:03:35 am »
I for one am not interested in chasing what amounts to "occasional special offers" for this type of computer.
If it's not available on an ongoing basis, it gets limited interest.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 09:47:07 am »
I for one am not interested in chasing what amounts to "occasional special offers" for this type of computer.

It's not a special offer, the retail price is £4 or (I think) $6 US .

Stock is only limited because it was newly released yesterday.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:54:14 am »
Honestly, audio would have been more useful than a camera connector...  :-//

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 08:36:03 am »
Sorry.  If you announce a product (RPi Zero) that you build one run of (which sells out nearly instantly), and the product is unavailable for six months, after which you announce a replacement that's DIFFERENT (RPi Zero w/camera port) and also sells out nearly instantly, then what you have is a "special offer" and/or "advertising gimmick", and not a "product."   IMNSHO, of course.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 10:54:45 am »
Personally, I'm surprised that there are not *PiZero type boards cropping up on Aliexpress by now for a fiver.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 12:08:12 pm »
Just got one of the new Zeros. Not got anything planned for it. I'm going to just stick it in a drawer somewhere. If anyone wants photos of it sitting in a drawer, let me know.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 01:34:45 pm »
Personally, I'm surprised that there are not *PiZero type boards cropping up on Aliexpress by now for a fiver.
Because chinese dont sell stuff without profit just to get media hype.
"This 5 dollar computer can change your life and find aliens"

Online OZ1LQB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 01:35:23 pm »
Wilfred..
How big pictures ar we Allowed :-// to post here..if you know what i mean :P
Claus in denmark

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
Just got one of the new Zeros. Not got anything planned for it. I'm going to just stick it in a drawer somewhere. If anyone wants photos of it sitting in a drawer, let me know.
Nah. Everyone here knows what that looks like. Someone will start a thread on "post a picture of your drawer of dev boards"
Better that that "Post pictures of devboards in your drawers" (Wearable computing Fanservice!)

The following users thanked this post: neslekkim

Online linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 02:51:46 pm »
Honestly, audio would have been more useful than a camera connector...  :-//

sata!  get me OUT of this usb nightmare with the elephant-bugged pi boards! ;(

I want sata.  just one sata2 port would make me happy.  NAS could be very nice with even just 1 jbod style port, no raid needed.

other single board computers have sata.  so far, no pi with sata yet.  huge omission.

could care less about cameras.  but storage i/o is hella important to many of us.

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 05:12:01 pm »
Man, that's more expensive than the "chip" for me,when shipping is included. |O   :(  :scared:

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 03:41:02 am »

I want sata.  just one sata2 port would make me happy.  NAS could be very nice with even just 1 jbod style port, no raid needed.

other single board computers have sata.  so far, no pi with sata yet.  huge omission.

could care less about cameras.  but storage i/o is hella important to many of us.

Take a look at Pogoplug. Just under $10 and has Gigabit Ethernet and a SATA interface that's easily enabled.
http://smile.amazon.com/Pogoplug-Backup-Sharing-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B005GM1Q1O/
https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6040
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 08:47:56 am »

Take a look at Pogoplug. Just under $10 and has Gigabit Ethernet and a SATA interface that's easily enabled.
http://smile.amazon.com/Pogoplug-Backup-Sharing-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B005GM1Q1O/

Nice, I like but it's a discontinued product and it doesn't seem to be easily available outside the US.

Offline hamster_nzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 02:29:07 am »
My Pi Zero (ordered on 16th May) has traveled the 18,723 km from Sheffield, England to my home, arriving this morning. I will be playing with it tonight I guess  ;)

Apparently another batch will go on sale at 09:00 GMT Wednesday 25th May (about 7hr30min from now) from https://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/pi-zero if anybody else is interested in acquiring one.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 02:45:43 am »

I have a pogoplug, it's a POS...ungodly slow with next to zero RAM, unusable for most things you might want to do with it.  I couldn't even rsync some files to it without setting up a damn swap drive.  It went in the closet within about 15 minutes of setting it up.

As far as SBCs go, I'm a big fan of the ODROID XU4 due to its raw compute power, USB 3, and gigabit ethernet, as well as the Dragonboard 410c for its awesome mix of high speed and low power and ease of integrating into other devices.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:48:44 am by suicidaleggroll »

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 04:46:32 pm »
Sorry.  If you announce a product (RPi Zero) that you build one run of (which sells out nearly instantly), and the product is unavailable for six months, after which you announce a replacement that's DIFFERENT (RPi Zero w/camera port) and also sells out nearly instantly, then what you have is a "special offer" and/or "advertising gimmick", and not a "product."   IMNSHO, of course.

Your assumptions are wrong; consequently your not-so-humble opinion is misinformed.

They didn't build 'one run' of the first product, they built a number of batches, and while the product was only rarely in stock they were occasionally available. The 'replacement' is essentially the same item with one extra connector, and will remain in production - for $5.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 01:33:26 am »
if you want SATA, look at Banana-Pi series
http://www.bananapi.org/

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 11:07:24 am »
if you want SATA, look at Banana-Pi series
http://www.bananapi.org/

The original Banana Pi vendor seems to have broken into two warring factions, SinoVoip and LeMaker - that link points to the SinoVoip website.

Of the SinoVoip products, only the original Banana Pi and the updated M1+ appear to offer native SATA, the M2 omits it completely and the M3 has a slow USB-SATA bridge. LeMaker offer a Banana Pro  which also seems to have decent SATA performance.

To further complicate matters, some people claim the Orange Pi is a copy of the Banana Pi design, while the Orange Pi designer asserts that he was paid by Foxconn to design the original Banana Pi, and both SinoVoip and LeMaker are merely the sellers  :-//

Until the Raspberry Pi designers get around to a real Pi with onboard SATA, it might be less hassle to go with a Cubieboard :phew:

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 11:32:55 am »

Its actually still $5, I picked up one last week at MicroCenter.

I just have t find a cheap miniHDMI now, I have micro and full size, I don't know why they would choose the mid sized one.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 12:05:18 pm »

Its actually still $5, I picked up one last week at MicroCenter.

I just have t find a cheap miniHDMI now, I have micro and full size, I don't know why they would choose the mid sized one.

Amazon have a decent one for under $2.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 09:45:48 pm »

But then I have to order $48 of other stuff to get free shipping :)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 06:04:22 am »

But then I have to order $48 of other stuff to get free shipping :)

I bought the adapters I use with mine for about £1 inc. shipping from eBay, recently one of the local £bargain stores have started selling them, might be worth checking a diollar store if you have one nearby.   

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 11:17:55 am »
It was more of a rant about using the odd size than not being able to get one.  The rest of the world uses regular HDMI or micro so why make a new product using the odd size no one else uses.  Unless maybe they got a bunch of miniHDMI ports on clearance for really cheap :)

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 06:27:44 am »
I have a pogoplug, it's a POS...ungodly slow with next to zero RAM, unusable for most things you might want to do with it.  I couldn't even rsync some files to it without setting up a damn swap drive.  It went in the closet within about 15 minutes of setting it up.

As far as SBCs go, I'm a big fan of the ODROID XU4 due to its raw compute power, USB 3, and gigabit ethernet, as well as the Dragonboard 410c for its awesome mix of high speed and low power and ease of integrating into other devices.
Have you tried a distro specifically designed for small embedded systems like OpenWRT? 128MB of RAM is actually a lot for an OpenWRT device. I have a Pogoplug (modded with a second Gigabit NIC) running OpenWRT as my main router and barely even 1/4 of the RAM is in use despite being on a rather busy network.

Arch is indeed a bit resource heavy but even that has its uses. I have another Pogoplug running Arch that supervises an "experimental" altcoin mining machine. All it does is run a Python script to regularly check if the miner is working properly and restart it if it isn't. A bit of a kludge but it's the difference between a setup that I can just leave under my desk mining altcoins and a miner that needs too much attention to be worth running.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 09:28:06 pm »
Thats why Slackware is going on mine, it will run on just about anything.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 01:56:11 pm »
It was more of a rant about using the odd size than not being able to get one.  The rest of the world uses regular HDMI or micro so why make a new product using the odd size no one else uses.  Unless maybe they got a bunch of miniHDMI ports on clearance for really cheap :)
Fair point, I have a couple of Android tablets that have the smaller connector and the rest of my 'stuff' uses regular HDMI so it was a bit annoying to find I had to buy yet another adapter to use a 'standard' connector  but as someone more famous than I once said, the nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf