Author Topic: VHDL. this signal is connected to multiple drivers. Help me please TODAY!!!  (Read 4404 times)

Offline timgepTopic starter

I have main entity for example.

I also have RAM 16*8bit component. Which has port (address, accessing indicator, reading indicator, writing indicator, IN/OUT DATA)

So, first 16 clock cycles I need to read main's entity input (byte_input). And send it to RAM component.

From 16 to 32 clock cycles, I have to read data from RAM, process it and rewrite again to ram component from 32 to 48 clock cycles.

But I stalled in the first part. I can't even read entity's input and send it to the RAM. When synthesizing it says "Multi-source in Unit <top_module> on signal <ram_data<2>>; this signal is connected to multiple drivers" :-//  :-[

Code:
Code: [Select]
PROCESS(clk)
BEGIN
if(rising_edge(Clk)) then
if (cnt>=0 and cnt<16) then
ram_data<=byte_input;
end if;
end if;
end process;

gate_1: ram16x8 port map(address=>ram_address,csbar=>'0',oebar=>'0',webar=>ram_webar,data=>ram_data);

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:54:54 pm by timgep »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Everything that drives the RAM address lines must be assigned within the same process.

You should probably also be using dual-port RAM to make things simpler
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Everything that drives the RAM address lines must be assigned within the same process.

You should probably also be using dual-port RAM to make things simpler

I put everything in one process as you said. But problem did not disappear.

Could you please correct me if I am wrong. I have some doubts that I can use component and process in one entity. Should I separate them? (but it is harder to control ram within other entity)

gate_1: ram16x8 port map(address=>ram_address,csbar=>'0',oebar=>'0',webar=>ram_webar,data=>byte_input);

When I changed data pointer directly to byte_input, it was possible to synthesize.

But I need somehow to control when and what I am sending in to RAM

Also I found another mistake with previous case:
Code: [Select]
Hierarchical block <gate_1> is unconnected in block <top_module>. It will be removed from the design.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:17:52 pm by timgep »

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
You have to use tristate (which MUST be instantiated in the top module) and control tristates OE signal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf