Author Topic: What IDE are you using ?  (Read 15003 times)

Offline anishkgtTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
What IDE are you using ?
« on: November 23, 2018, 04:17:25 pm »
Hello All,

What IDE is everyone using.

I am trying to use the Atom which can support the arduino code unfortunately it does not seem to be working for me. Has anyone been successful with it ? Steps to it are available but they don't seem to be straight forward for beginners like myself.

Offline HB9EVI

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What IDE are you using ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 04:19:44 pm »
a recurring question

I use Eclipse for most purposes; sometimes also Code::Blocks, mostly for AVR programming

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 04:22:15 pm »
I use arduino most of the time hence looking for something like Atom. I would love to get it to work, if i can again.

Offline HB9EVI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 04:38:33 pm »
afaik Eclipse supports Arduino; don't know Atom nor do I use Arduino, so cannot compare

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 10:57:23 pm »
No IDE. No need. Text editor + make = quick and productive workflow for me. Every time I find myself needing some "IDE features" I recognize I'm writing total crap and need to get my shit together.

The following users thanked this post: 001, amymcneil

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 10:59:20 pm »
Just got atom to work with arduino. I prefer the arduino IDE but with long codes it is very frustrating to move back and forth.

Www.Georgehobby.wordpress.com

Equipments: DSO104z, Hakko FX888D, Brymen BM869s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 11:02:05 pm »
VSCode with PlatformIO

Offline lucazader

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 11:12:44 pm »
VScode + gcc on top of linux.
Powerful and free.

Side note: If anyone here has a decent size codebase that is built using gcc and are currently using windows, try the same compliation on any linux distro (not in a virtual machine though!). You will find it will compile 2x faster or more. just my 2c on why the ntfs file system needs replacing.

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 11:23:55 pm »
I use two, depending on what I am doing.

The first one is Visual Studio Community, free as in beer, together with the non-free (but reasonably priced) VisualGDB add-on.
VS is definitely a powerful and mostly intuitive IDE, VGDB supports a wide variety of MCUs (it's not difficult to add your own, if really needed) and just works for my projects.

The other one is rather an advanced editor with compilation and debug support than a full IDE: Visual Studio Code.
It is free and Open Source-ish (eh, still Microsoft...), multi platform, able to run in WSL and (still) quite fast, well integrated with git, has lots of handy extensions and developers that listen to the users.
It has replaced Emacs in most of my day-to-day edit tasks, even at work: that's quite a feat for me (sorry RMS)!.

Both IDEs support bare metal AVRs and Arduino: VS via VisualGDB or the non-totally-free "Visual Micro" extension, and VS Code via the "Arduino" extension (MIT license).
I sometimes use AVRs, but never Arduino, so I cannot vouch for the quality of these extensions.

Eclipse, I try to keep at a distance. I find it cranky and poorly refined, slow and confusing.
As a cherry on top: I cannot understand how it's possible to have a bodged dark theme in 2018...
But, TBH, I mostly tried some of the vendor supplied Eclipse based IDEs (TrueStudio, MCUxpresso), not the bare-bone Eclipse with the just needed plug-ins.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline HB9EVI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 11:29:37 pm »
yea, Eclipse is really slow and often not responsive enough, specially on not too recent computers.

often I catch myself stucking in vi or emacs; but at the latest for compiling/linking I realize it, since I hate to write makefiles.

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 11:38:05 pm »
Side note: If anyone here has a decent size codebase that is built using gcc and are currently using windows, try the same compliation on any linux distro (not in a virtual machine though!). You will find it will compile 2x faster or more. just my 2c on why the ntfs file system needs replacing.
(OT) Try disabling the anti-virus: most of the slowness seems to be due to that in WSL (I'm not advising to leave it disabled, just for comparison).
But then, being able to run 95% of my linux stuff (even with X11) without firing a VM or connecting to a real one is really nice.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 11:52:28 pm »
I use two, depending on what I am doing.

The first one is Visual Studio Community, free as in beer, together with the non-free (but reasonably priced) VisualGDB add-on.
VS is definitely a powerful and mostly intuitive IDE, VGDB supports a wide variety of MCUs (it's not difficult to add your own, if really needed) and just works for my projects.

The other one is rather an advanced editor with compilation and debug support than a full IDE: Visual Studio Code.
It is free and Open Source-ish (eh, still Microsoft...), multi platform, able to run in WSL and (still) quite fast, well integrated with git, has lots of handy extensions and developers that listen to the users.
It has replaced Emacs in most of my day-to-day edit tasks, even at work: that's quite a feat for me (sorry RMS)!.

Both IDEs support bare metal AVRs and Arduino: VS via VisualGDB or the non-totally-free "Visual Micro" extension, and VS Code via the "Arduino" extension (MIT license).
I sometimes use AVRs, but never Arduino, so I cannot vouch for the quality of these extensions.

Eclipse, I try to keep at a distance. I find it cranky and poorly refined, slow and confusing.
As a cherry on top: I cannot understand how it's possible to have a bodged dark theme in 2018...
But, TBH, I mostly tried some of the vendor supplied Eclipse based IDEs (TrueStudio, MCUxpresso), not the bare-bone Eclipse with the just needed plug-ins.

This is just a hobby for me so am not so much into hard core coding. I’ve used sublime, atom and MS visual code of all I find MS visual code to be more user friendly but I lost it since I could not configure it. Hence now with atom.

I like to see my code easy to read and manage. One thing I miss from the arduino IDE is that when compiling it takes you to the line that has the error unlike Atom. Sublime has it too.

Www.Georgehobby.wordpress.com

Equipments: DSO104z, Hakko FX888D, Brymen BM869s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 12:13:15 am »
emacs.

I used a *lot* of IDEs in the 80s and early 90s: THINK C, Think Pascal, MPW, CodeWarrior, even Visual Studio. Then in 1997 I learned emacs and since then I use it pretty much exclusively.

It's available on Windows and Mac as well as any Unix/Linux, plus you get to use the same editor on a machine 10000 km away as on your local desktop, using just ssh not some slow and clunky and bandwidth-sucking remote desktop software.

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 05:49:20 am »
Eclipse and/or AC6 from Openstm32.org.  The compiler is slow and the rebuild builds everything again on a whim.

Jerry

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 01:48:23 pm »
Stock Eclipse CDT for ARM work and Linux-specific work, Xcode for general UNIX, macOS and iOS, Simplicity Studio for generic 8051 work.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59

Online NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 01:53:19 pm »
I use a simple text editor where I can. If I decide to adopt new toolchain, I add code to invoke appropriate compilers when I press F9. It's universal approach.

Offline knapik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 03:17:47 pm »
Emacs, and I'm too used to its wonky keybindings that I don't think I can ever change.

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 03:33:37 pm »
Keil to compile and debug. VisualStudio Code to format, search basically manage code.

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 08:14:36 pm »
VSCode is the way to go ;)
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 09:05:29 pm »
Vi plus scripting language of choice.

Regards, Dan.

Offline kfnight

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 10:29:01 pm »
I use Notepad++ in Windows for editing and then do compilation / simulation in a RHEL VM.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 01:22:01 am »
VSCode is the way to go ;)

VSCode is three years old. Some of us have been programming for 40 years. Ok, VSCode is hot now, but will it still be the hot thing in even 10 years? Doubtful.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 01:28:56 am »
Visual studio community + VisualGDB for me.
Nice combo that reduces toolchain related head scratching and time wasting. I really like the debugger too.

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 01:37:00 am »
Mostly sublime text and deviot(platformio plugin by gepd) not the best but lightweight, cant stand bloated ides. But I am going to have to find something more advanced with gdb etc

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 02:27:04 am »
General thoughts on IDEs

I don't like the lock in.  One of the most important things for me is knowing that my projects can quickly be taken over by other people without needing special software.  The other is knowing they can still do this ten years down the track, without needing a period PC with period software.

I tried following some IDE tutorials when I first started programming.  The IDEs had always changed so much that the tuts were useless and I ended up horribly confused. 

Simple text editors on the other hand: interchangeable, they're much simpler for both newbies and professionals alike, and I expect they will still exist 100 years from now.

On Linux: Geany.  It's a text editor with some IDE-like features, but everything is optional and it doesn't dump "project" config files all over your folders.

I then use an appropriate toolchain (SDCC, stcgal, avrgcc, avrdude, gcc, etc) to get code where I need to go.  I tend to throw the commands into a short shell script and keep that with the project, so I know how to recompile and burn the code later.  I've found this is even useful for Windows users, because if they can't run the shell script then it's now a documentation plaintext file :D

(On that note: please don't use complex build setups.  If your code cannot be compiled and installed in a few short lines of shell/batch then you need to reconsider your perspective on life.  Don't write another chrome.)

On Windows: Notepad2.  It's like the built-in notepad, but with syntax highlighting and support for LF line endings.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf