Author Topic: What is the best free IDE for the STM32 mixrocontrollers ?  (Read 7010 times)

Offline endevor100

• Contributor
Re: What is the best free IDE for the STM32 mixrocontrollers ?
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2018, 11:21:29 am »
I've been using the Eclipse package aimed at C/C++ Developers with minimal pain and suffering. If you are interested in a book to help you install and manage the toolchain I really liked Mastering STM32 on learnpub: https://leanpub.com/mastering-stm32. The author calls the version of the book 0.25 so it's a bit rough arouditing goes.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2018, 07:31:54 pm »
did you read previous posts?  8)

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2018, 09:12:07 pm »
a bit rough arouditing goes.
'arouditing'     :o

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2018, 02:40:52 am »
I was amazed to see how easy is to set up Visual Studio Code for Linux as an IDE for STM32, using also the Cortex Debugger extension. After proper setup, all you need is to generate Makefile projects with STM32CubeMX and Low Level driver. You can install also the Arduino extension from Microsoft (requires Arduino IDE 1.8.x to be already installed on your home folder) from which you can use the serial console or for rapid prototyping.  I tried Atollic and it works well for me in Linux Fedora and that means also debugging but now I prefer the VScode solution.

https://community.st.com/thread/48130-visual-studio-code-with-cortex-debugger-package

BTW. no "platformio" infestation.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:50:11 am by Vasi »

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2018, 04:09:29 am »
I was amazed to see how easy is to set up Visual Studio Code for Linux as an IDE for STM32, using also the Cortex Debugger extension. After proper setup, all you need is to generate Makefile projects with STM32CubeMX and Low Level driver. You can install also the Arduino extension from Microsoft (requires Arduino IDE 1.8.x to be already installed on your home folder) from which you can use the serial console or for rapid prototyping.  I tried Atollic and it works well for me in Linux Fedora and that means also debugging but now I prefer the VScode solution.

https://community.st.com/thread/48130-visual-studio-code-with-cortex-debugger-package

BTW. no "platformio" infestation.
Can VSCode work without Cube involvement?

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2018, 05:48:06 am »

Yes, definitely, but you must rely on Makefile, no matter which code you have.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2018, 06:14:49 am »

Yes, definitely, but you must rely on Makefile, no matter which code you have.
How does debugging work then? Can I step into the code, peek into peripheral registers, or even manipulate memory on the fly?

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2018, 06:20:44 am »
Step into the code, breakpoints, see the registers, don't know about manipulating memory on the fly, but the Cortex-Debug extension is on the github, https://github.com/Marus/cortex-debug , read the readme from there.

Offline lewiss66

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2018, 03:56:38 am »
Have you heard about Sloeber?
http://eclipse.baeyens.it/
This is an IDE eclipse based. I downloaded the stm32duino libraries package and it worked for my stm32f103c8 bluepill named board.
What I like about Sloeber Eclipse IDE is that it is arduino C++ oriented, meaning easy to implement codes and then you can use print() and read() arduino commands plus the serial monitor to communicate right out of the box!

(Do not need as well stlinkV2 since after downloading the arduino specific bootloader it allows to directly communicate via on board USB device..)

I'm not sure if Truestudio allow all that options or maybe it has changed but not for free!

The only drawback of sloeber is that the debbuger is not really already working.
What do you think of it vs atollic?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:04:05 am by lewiss66 »

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2018, 05:58:25 am »
As an Arduino IDE, the Visual Studio Code is great. TrueStudio now is a dedicated IDE to STM32 development, with truly professional tools. It it will continue to be developed by ST.M. so it will be the one to recommend.

Offline lewiss66

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2018, 04:25:36 pm »
As an Arduino IDE, the Visual Studio Code is great. TrueStudio now is a dedicated IDE to STM32 development, with truly professional tools. It it will continue to be developed by ST.M. so it will be the one to recommend.
Yes VS is not totallt free to be able to use the full package. Neither Truestudio if you want to be able to use the serial monitor or it has changed now.

Envoyé de mon LG-H850 en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2018, 03:53:21 am »
1. When I say Visual Studio Code (which can be used with Arduino extension and that include also a serial terminal), I don't say Visual Studio IDE. The first is free, cross platform and with no limits, the second is commercial and Windows only - do your research.

2. TrueStudio today is completely free, full featured (including all the professional features), no restrictions - again, do your research.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf