Author Topic: What is up with Atmel Zigbit modules? End-of-Life?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline aceperryTopic starter

What is up with Atmel Zigbit modules? End-of-Life?
« on: April 23, 2017, 08:51:57 am »
Hello,

I'm returning to a project using the Atmel/Microchip Zigbit Module ATZB-S1-256-3-0-CR based on atmega256rfr2.  I can't find any software downloads (latest bitcloud) for it.  And I fear it is being discontinued.  Anyone know what's going on?

And any good alternatives to the zigbit modules?  I'm looking for complete modules (controller with radios) with FCC and other certifications.  Thanks for any help.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository

Re: What is up with Atmel Zigbit modules? End-of-Life?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:04:15 am »
The Bitcloud SDK isn't available for download.  The modules aren't simple turnkey solutions without the SDK.  Unless I'm missing something, I didn't want to write my own Zigbee stack from scratch.  But thanks for the link to the page, I couldn't find it.

BTW, the link to the module that I'm using points to a blank page: http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/ATmega256RFR2-ZigBit-Wireless-Module
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:06:18 am by aceperry »

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:48:15 am »
The Bitcloud SDK isn't available for download.
It is now only available on request.
Alex

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 08:18:17 pm »
The Bitcloud SDK isn't available for download.
It is now only available on request.

I'm trying to understand why that has happened and what it means for using the parts going forward.  I saw another forum posting from someone saying that it's available if you commit to buying $$$ worth of parts.  For a low volume producer, that sounds like the parts shouldn't be used.  I couldn't find any announcements/news about this development on Microchip/Atmel's site.

I'd like to know what other parts are suitable and how other people are handling the situation.  Thanks for all of the responses so far.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:20:03 pm by aceperry »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 08:23:22 pm »
I'm trying to understand why that has happened and what it means for using the parts going forward.  I saw another forum posting from someone saying that it's available if you commit to buying $$$ worth of parts
I doubt anyone will give an official answer on a public forum. You need to ask Microchip directly.

There are not too many widely used ZigBee modules out there. TI and XNP make ZigBee transceivers and provide stacks. NXP also made some modules, but I don't know if this is going anywhere.

And Lightweight Mesh stack is still freely available, if you don't need ZigBee compliance.
Alex

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:44:16 pm »
Thanks Alex, I appreciate that.  It sounds like what I feared.  The NXP modules and stack really suck.  I haven't looked at TI lately, but the last time I looked they were introducing new parts.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 12:35:18 am »
They all lost to cheap wifi chips.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 01:31:28 am »
They all lost to cheap wifi chips.
Not really. But ZigBee and IEEE 802.15.4 generally require better understanding of underlying technology to be properly implemented in a product. It is indeed better to send all Arduino people to ESP8266, and people that will actually buy things, can get the code and support they need. I don't necessarily agree with this point of view, but it is a reality.
Alex

Offline DownTown

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 09:15:58 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf