Author Topic: Whatever happened to CooCox?  (Read 21500 times)

Offline richardmanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Whatever happened to CooCox?
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:58:06 pm »
Whatever happened to the CooCox products? Their product pages/forums are full of spam, and it looks like there are/were a lot of complaints re: their web-connected 2.0 IDE. Anyone knows?
// richard http://imagecraft.com/
JumpStart C++ for Cortex (compiler/IDE/debugger): the fastest easiest way to get productive on Cortex-M.
Smart.IO: phone App for embedded systems with no app or wireless coding

Offline Pack34

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Whatever happened to CooCox?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:47:59 pm »
I had odd issues compiling old projects on v2 so I rolled back.

I never had much luck on their forums.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 08:26:41 pm »
It laid its egg in someone else's nest...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 02:25:13 am »

I admit that I am not clear on the meaning of this phrase :-)
JumpStart C++ for Cortex (compiler/IDE/debugger): the fastest easiest way to get productive on Cortex-M.

Offline Joerg

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 02:59:56 am »

I admit that I am not clear on the meaning of this phrase :-)

You know that bird that does not sit on its own eggs in its own nest but rather places them into the nests of other birds as it is even able to control the color of its eggs ? In English the name of that bird is cuckoo which sounds a little like CooCox ... so that was a joke probably meaning that this nasty bird now got in the retaliation for its bad ways ... me thinks ;-) ...

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 07:04:39 am »
Or maybe it's a play on word regarding the book and film: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 09:31:45 am »
Somewhat more seriously, as they said on the website: they do not have a business model, other than they hope companies will fund them. My guess is that the funding dries up.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 11:00:20 am »
Meh.  A rather poorly maintained forum, but it looks like they have ONE thread that I'd describe as "full of spam."

Offline farsi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 03:19:46 pm »
i am using some 1.x version - mainly to compile and build stuff. adding libs is a bit frustrating at times.
would prefer to have command line tools as in unix, but since i am on Windows and there is no budget for a real IDE, I am somewhat stuck with CooCox

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 04:15:37 pm »
Someone mentioned the other day that the free version of TrueSTUDIO just became less nobbled. Might be worth a look?

If you're doing non-commercial work, the hobby licence for CrossWorks is very cheap too.

Offline farsi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 05:11:14 pm »
thanks for the links!
truestudio indeed looked nice from the screenshots, but now after install, there is no clear path how to use e.g. the STM32 boards.

I'll check crossworks next.

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 05:18:03 pm »
If you are on Windows, and with a limited budget, have a look to VisualGDB: the embedded only license is not expensive.
Lots of basic tutorials on the site, also for STM32.
You must like Visual Studio, though (I happen to do), but the Community Edition is free and almost complete.

In any case I intend to have a look to Truestudio, especially what debugging is included with the free version.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 05:42:35 pm »
If you are on Windows, and with a limited budget, have a look to VisualGDB: the embedded only license is not expensive.
Lots of basic tutorials on the site, also for STM32.
You must like Visual Studio, though (I happen to do), but the Community Edition is free and almost complete.

In any case I intend to have a look to Truestudio, especially what debugging is included with the free version.

Funny, because look what it has been announced today:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/11/18/announcing-the-vs-gdb-debugger-extension.aspx

And it works with the free Visual Studio 2015 Community or higher and you need to have the tools for Android installed

To use this extension, you need to have Visual Studio 2015 Community or higher with the Visual C++ tools for Android installed. Those tools use the open source MIEngine that provides the support for the Visual Studio debugger to use Machine Interface that GDB and LLDB use.  The GDB Debugger extension introduces a new project type that surfaces additional project properties that allow you to connect the Visual Studio debugger to GDB either locally or remotely, including on remote Linux targets.

And the associated image:

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 06:08:28 pm »
Funny, because look what it has been announced today:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/11/18/announcing-the-vs-gdb-debugger-extension.aspx

And it works with the free Visual Studio 2015 Community or higher and you need to have the tools for Android installed

Thanks for the heads up!
This is quite interesting, and another step in the integration of GNU tools in VC.
Of course, much more is needed to provide an "integrated" experience when writing code for an MCU, (openocd or similar, cross compiler, etc.), but still a good thing to hear.

As for a Windows IDE, if one is in the Eclipse camp, let's not forget about https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/gnu-arm-eclipse-full-cortex-m7-support-added/.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 08:01:55 pm »
and remember that you can purchase a complete hardware/software/compiler license (non-commercial) of JumpStart C/C ebook for $99 :-) and we have a 10% off special until end of Nov. JumpStart debugger (NC) is an additional $50. Great for Windows users.
http://c4everyone.com
to apply the discount, enter the code SUNNYNOV on the shopping cart page once you add the item(s).

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 08:39:43 pm »

You know that bird that does not sit on its own eggs in its own nest but rather places them into the nests of other birds as it is even able to control the color of its eggs ?

CORRECT. The cuckoo lays it's egg in a different birds nest. They call this a parasitic breeder. The cucko does not hatch its own eggs or care for its young.
once hatched the cuckoo young grows much faster then the other birds . it will even push other birds and eggs out of the nest.

Coocox tries the same. they raffle a bunch of free stuff, wrap it up and try to make money of the hard work of others.
Other usage:. Someone who is 'cuckoo' is insane, nuts, bonkers. . By using this scavenged stuff they hope other companies will give em money ...

so yea, coocox fits them perfectly
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 10:29:45 pm »
and remember that you can purchase a complete hardware/software/compiler license (non-commercial) of JumpStart C/C ebook for $99 :-) and we have a 10% off special until end of Nov. JumpStart debugger (NC) is an additional $50. Great for Windows users.
http://c4everyone.com
to apply the discount, enter the code SUNNYNOV on the shopping cart page once you add the item(s).

And remember, moderators don't like those types of posts by vendors.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 02:26:40 am »

And remember, moderators don't like those types of posts by vendors.

Mea Culpa, noted.

Offline farsi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 01:26:59 pm »
ideally, I would get the GNU GCC toolchain work on Windows.
I like VIM and the command line from Unix. And it seems to be possible in Windows too.

Debugger/Programmers/etc are an issue though. It's bad to see how vendors lock you in with an IDE or a programmer.

So, that sounds interesting on the Jumpstart approach, learning about toolchain concepts without investing $$$ in vendor lock in.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 01:33:58 pm »
I'm not as concerned about vendor lock-in with tool chains as I used to be.

Portability between manufacturers is a laudable goal, of course, but the very nature of embedded development is it's hardware-centric. There's a lot of my code which, though written in a language that should compile for any target, nevertheless contains such a high percentage of device driver code that porting it to a different manufacturer's MCU would be very hard work.

In short, I'm simply not going to do it without a really compelling reason, and even if there were, swapping to a different compiler and IDE would be the least of my problems.

It's a shame there's no suite of manufacturer-independent drivers available. A set of functions to do generic things like read from an ADC, or make a timer interrupt go off after X amount of time, or write a sequence of bytes via SPI, would be great. To actually be useful, though, it would need to be well abstracted from the underlying hardware, and of course, no manufacturer is likely to put in the effort.

Offline tan98010

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 02:20:09 pm »
Why not give ATOLLIC TRUESTUDIO a try, its now FREE.....!!!!! NO CODE SIZE LIMITS.....
http://timor.atollic.com/truestudio/ ;)

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 09:33:57 pm »
Is it still retarded and not show data from arm-size?

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 09:49:58 am »
Coocox is dead
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 10:58:54 am »
Yeah. That's indeed sad. I liked their 1.x but the 2.x sucks. They are pioneers in terms of setting up the projects - rte took that to the next level.

I continued to use them by using a generic cmsis plus device specific header on chips that coocox doesn't support.

I will miss them for sure.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 02:21:51 pm »
I have switched from CooCox to EM::Blocks. It's faster and had much larger device support list.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk.

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

The following users thanked this post: oPossum

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 03:41:14 pm »
It's very easy to take generic tools like Eclipse, GCC, etc., and put together your own development environment that isn't dependent on any chip vendors, plus you can keep it up to date whenever you wish rather than rely on vendor whims.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 09:29:37 am »
And this....
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2016, 08:37:30 am »
Well it looks like they pulled the plug. coocox.org does not respond atm. And according to a tweet I found this is the case now for at least a week.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2016, 10:29:44 am »
that's too bad. I will miss them - was their biggest fan. The way CoIDE (1.x) sets up a project is innovative and something every IDE can learn from.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2016, 04:58:36 pm »
If you're doing non-commercial work, the hobby licence for CrossWorks is very cheap too.

Segger Embedded Studio is free for non-commercial use and it is CrossWorks with support for all debuggers other than the Segger J-Link stripped out. Since the Segger J-Link EDU is only USD$60, that's not a bad deal. Or, alternately, you can use other debuggers that have J-Link firmware available (such as the NXP LPC-Link2 and the ST-Link/v2).

Segger Embedded Studio doesn't have any code size limitations nor does it prohibit usage of higher optimization levels.

https://www.segger.com/embedded-studio.html
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:01:31 pm by Sal Ammoniac »
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline jnz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 05:52:39 pm »

Segger Embedded Studio is free for non-commercial use and it is CrossWorks with support for all debuggers other than the Segger J-Link stripped out. Since the Segger J-Link EDU is only USD$60, that's not a bad deal. Or, alternately, you can use other debuggers that have J-Link firmware available (such as the NXP LPC-Link2 and the ST-Link/v2).

Segger Embedded Studio doesn't have any code size limitations nor does it prohibit usage of higher optimization levels.

https://www.segger.com/embedded-studio.html

This.

And my limited time with Rowley Crossworks was pleasant.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf