Author Topic: which dev board/microcontroller to purchase  (Read 4605 times)

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
Re: which dev board/microcontroller to purchase
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 12:35:35 am »
Dev boards have become cheap because the Arduino scared the pants off the other vendors.  TI has repackaged the Arduino IDE as Energia.  I suggest getting one or two of several types.  You want fast ADC?  LPC has the LPC-Link2 programmer which you can use as a target board.  The LPC 4370 has an ARM and an 80 MSa/S 12 bit ADC.  And the Link2s are $20 from Digikey.  It should be possible to make a DC to 30 MHz waterfall display screensaver for a 4K monitor with 10 KHz resolution.

Checkout Mecrisp:

http://mecrisp.sourceforge.net/

Offline Joeri_VH

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 01:47:11 pm »
You might want to consider an Arduino M0 (pro) or MKR1000, giving you the advantage of a not too steep learning curve with the Arduino IDE + libraries and later on the nearly unlimited possibilities of Atmel Studio and real (JTAG) debuggers. Note that the MKR1000 does have a JTAG header, while the MKR zero for example does not. Both the M0 and M0 pro do have a JTAG header, but the Pro version has a USB debug port so you don't have to buy a J-Link or ST-Link.
It uses an Atmel/Microchip SAMD21 with an ARM M0+ based MCU.

If you don't fancy the Arduino ecosystem to start you might as well go for a Cypress PSOC4 (pioneer) board or an STM32F0 Nucleo. I personally like the Cypress IDE, but YMMV. Both feature a USB debugger, but the STM board has a ST-Link (= J-Link).

Offline bterrierTopic starter

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 08:00:53 pm »
Thanks everyone for your advice!  I think I am going to go with he arduino and a psoc 4200.  I will start there and see where it takes me. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 02:43:24 pm »
Will you be so kind to remove those tapatalk and other advertisements from your phone or whatever device you use to post these messages?

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 02:44:49 pm »
After getting too irritated by advertizements for some rotten fruit brand I forgot what I wanted to post here.

Sorry for that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf