Author Topic: (SOLVED/ANSWERED)Why NOT use an Arduino for professional project?  (Read 25518 times)

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Why NOT use an Arduino for professional project?
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2018, 04:20:30 pm »
How is that a breakout board? It is a PCB with all of the extra components and connectors needed for the full project. Plus I get the advantage of being able to accomplish mechanical tasks to on the board and include silkscreen to document/brand it. 
What does, say, arduino UNO have except MCU, vreg and crystal that may actually be used for operation of your circuit based on arduino?
All of the wires that are not plugging into a connector are replaced by TRACES on the PCB.
LOL what? You just leave unused MCU pins unconnected.
It is not like I am just pinning out all of the atmegas pins and making my own crappier version of an arduino and then still putting 100 wires on it.
Do you live in alternate reality? If you don't use some MCU pins, you leave pads unconnected. If you do use them, there do not become less wires if you use arduino.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:24:33 pm by wraper »

Offline Seph.b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2018, 06:49:23 pm »
How is that a breakout board? It is a PCB with all of the extra components and connectors needed for the full project. Plus I get the advantage of being able to accomplish mechanical tasks to on the board and include silkscreen to document/brand it. 
What does, say, arduino UNO have except MCU, vreg and crystal that may actually be used for operation of your circuit based on arduino?
All of the wires that are not plugging into a connector are replaced by TRACES on the PCB.
LOL what? You just leave unused MCU pins unconnected.
It is not like I am just pinning out all of the atmegas pins and making my own crappier version of an arduino and then still putting 100 wires on it.
Do you live in alternate reality? If you don't use some MCU pins, you leave pads unconnected. If you do use them, there do not become less wires if you use arduino.

I have no idea what you are talking about. From your logic, it seems that any board that uses an ATMega is an arduino.

Here is a partial parts list of a typical board I make, most of these parts are not on an uno.
ATMega328P (yep, the one used on an uno you got me)
6 5v relays
6-12 transistors
PTCs on outputs
zener/tvs diodes on inputs
L293D
dozens of passive and diodes

Note, I don't use a crystal on most of my boards because the internal 8MHz clock is more than enough for me. I also don't use USB serial and if I use serial it is with a MAX485 to another board.

Pretty much all of these things could be accomplished by buying modules on ebay and putting tons of wires between them all. I don't know what you are arguing, but my point was that a PCB gets rid of all of those wires. Plus if it warrants it I can have mounting holes for switches ect in the PCB to eliminate the wires going to those too. I think the unified design and lack of wires looks a lot more professional and is less prone to mistakes then a jumble of wires connecting ebay modules.

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: (SOLVED/ANSWERED)Why NOT use an Arduino for professional project?
« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2018, 07:08:12 pm »
OK, I got it wrong. I thought you wrote pro arduino post. What I meant is that arduino does not add any value besides being a breakout board.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2018, 08:04:41 pm »
Regulatory approval is unnecessary in most cases, maybe in Canada you have to have it? I have designed products used in Canada before and not even asked once if it was 'approved'. We are talking about professional engineering of products/projects, but I guess many are in the paradigm of thinking in terms of consumer based, high production products.
I work in manufacturing shop floor support (essentially we design and build stuff that is then installed on the floor and aids manufacturing). In this industry you can't run anything on the shop floor unless it's signed for by the health&safety folks, and they won't approve anything unless it's got all kinds of approvals all over the box! I suspect a big part of a reasoning is that the signature is not merely a formality, but is an actual liability if some accident happens with the stuff that they signed for, and ensuing investigation confirms that this was a design/installation/testing defect, and not an actual accident.

Funny thing is - I've seen ATmega328 and ATSAN3N (this one powers Arduino Due) MCUs in those "approved and tested" products quite a lot, and at least one industrial PLC I worked with is Arduino-compatible! :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: May 23, 2018, 08:24:20 pm »
My Honeywell thermostat has an AVR in it.

Had to take it to bits and fix it multiple times  :-DD

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2018, 08:28:12 pm »
My Honeywell thermostat has an AVR in it.

Condolences!  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf