Author Topic: Wiring an xbox controller to a teensy like board, questions.  (Read 1709 times)

Offline azigtaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, but here I go

In the past few days a friend of mine gave me an xbox like controller, more specifically a Rock candy xbox one controller. The thing is that I can't get it to work with windows 7 and it looks like I have to update to windows 10 to make it work, and I don't want to update so I thoght that I could wire each button to a teensy like board and make it work with windows 7.

I've never done this but as far as I'm concerned, I need 2 analog inputs for each analog joystick , (so that's 4 analog inputs on the board) another 2 analog input for the triggers (1 pot per each trigger so just 2 analog inputs more on the board) and then the controller has a 4 direction D-pad , start, select, the 4 abxy buttons, Left button, right button and the xbox button (optional), and the little swith that each joystick has. The controller also has 2 rumbles, could I make them work? EDIT: turns out it has other 2 rumbles inside the triggers! so there are 4 rumbles. I can live without them, but If I can make them work it would be awesome

So I would need a teensy like board that has 15 I/O and 6 analog for the pots and joysticks.  Teensy 2.0 has 25 I/O and 12 analog inputs according to this website, and has an atmega32u4, but it costs about 20€ 20usd... I don't want to spend too much on this so I looked on aliexpress and I found a board that is similar to the teensy 2.0 in the sense that it has a atmega32u4, it is called "pro micro atmega32u4"  is this one

I only understand how many I/O and analog pins a board has if I see it on a chart like in the teensy webstite. Because if I look at the board I can't tell. I've never bought one of this boards or any arduino, raspberry etc. so I don't have much of an idea, but if teensy 2.0 has an atmega32u4 and has 25 I/O and 12 analog inputs, won't the chinese atmega32u4 also have them?

So,
First question: Can anyone tell me if the chinese board is suitable for my project?
Second question: Is there some code already built for this or will I have to write it myself? If so, is there any tutorial I can follow? because I don't have any idea on how to program anything.

Long post, hopefully on the right place.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:13:28 pm by azigta »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Wiring an xbox controller to a teensy like board, questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 04:46:31 am »
I'm only guessing but I believe you will want to implement a USB HID device and the Teensy website has the code.  I did a HID device a few years back using a Teensy to add switches, knobs and dials to Microsoft Flight Simulator.  It was pretty easy once I got into it.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf