Author Topic: Xilinx ISE 14.7 to support windows 10 by the end of the year (time machine...)  (Read 7178 times)

Offline asgard20032Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Activating humor processor:

Let me step back few week back in time, so I will still be in 2016, and today still have not happened yet for me...

According to this : https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xcell-Daily-Blog/Good-news-for-Spartan-6-and-ISE-users-Windows-10-and-CentOS/ba-p/726081

Xilinx is suppose to support windows 10 by the end of the year !! Yeah!

Ok lets warp back to 2017 with a time machine... back to today, wait a minute, today mean nothing, since today is not an absolute point in time, but relative to... today, because when it is today, it is today, and thus today cannot be yesterday.... ok I lost myself.

Lets go to the download page to finally get xilinx ISE for windows 10. Page loading, still loading, with some drum roll in background and...

WUT, still no update since october 2013, either my time machine is broken, or they are behind scheldule or they just decided to forgot that project to bring back ISE for people to program all those spartan 6.

Ok, back on a more serious mode, anyone has any news about this? Have some nice course at university on FPGA, and it would be fun to have a perfectly working installation so i could play with my spartan 6 board on the side without having to get many fix.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
Linux virtual machine, problem solved.

Offline scatha

• Regular Contributor
Linux virtual machine, problem solved.

Even the linux version need some love - getting ISE working under CentOS 7 requires renaming network interfaces, manually fixing a bunch of shared library simlinks, then massaging some of the install scripts. It's conceivable that future CentOS/Redhat versions will completely break ISE. The linux Platform Cable USB drivers haven't worked for ages.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
You can always install an older Linux version which works! I don't get why an OS should be the latest version just to run one piece of software.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
Even the linux version need some love

and some work  :D

Yep, it's *A* problem.

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
You can always install an older Linux version which works!

yep, two choices
1) you can chroot from a new distro into an old distro

e.g. what I usually to step back few years
Code: [Select]
mount -o bind /dev /stage/idp-2008-11/rootfs/dev
mount -o bind /proc /stage/idp-2008-11/rootfs/proc
mount -o bind /sys /stage/idp-2008-11/rootfs/sys
chroot /stage/2008/rootfs /bin/bash
source /etc/profile

2) you can use VirtualBOX, or QEMU

I had had the same problem with TiniJava (which is EOL||RIP since 2006), and I solved with the first method.
I had come into the need of some step back to 2005, so I attached the old hard drive to the usb chain, and I copied(1) everything into /stage/idp-2005-04. 
It's faster and more comfortable than having to deal with a virtual machine. But you might have a different option.

(1) use "copy with attributes"

-p or --preserve[=ATTR_LIST]
              preserve the specified attributes (default: mode,ownership,timestamps),  if  possible  additional  attributes:
              context, links, xattr, all

cp -r -p /mnt/disk0/* /stage/idp-2005-04/

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
I wish somebody had told me that ISE 14.7 didn't work under Win10.  I might have quit using it...  Or, maybe it's better I didn't know.  Ignorance is bliss and all that.

Maybe it is FPGA device specific where it fails.  For me, it works fine for the Spartan 3 1200k device.  Since I am using a Digilent board, I use their Adept software to program the device.  I don't use Impact for much of anything.  I also skip the Simulation thing and go straight to hardware.

So, what exactly doesn't work?

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
The 32-bit version works on my WIN10 64 bit installation :)
I use Sapartan 6, and just tested a few full synthesis and ouput generation cycles.

The 64-bit version dies when I open a project...

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
I use Sapartan 6, and just tested a few full synthesis and ouput generation cycles.

Yet I am using the version in the C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64 subdirectory and Help-About says it is the nt64 version.  It works solid on my Win10 x64 machine.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
For me, that particular ISE Project Navigator 64 bit version crashes if I press the Open Project... button .

Funny enough, if I open a project in the 32 bit version, and then close the editor, the 64 bit version nicely starts with that project loaded :)

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
Even the linux version need some love - getting ISE working under CentOS 7 requires renaming network interfaces, manually fixing a bunch of shared library simlinks, then massaging some of the install scripts.
I have ISE running on a few different CentOS 7 systems.  I don't recall having to do anything out of the ordinary for them to work, I certainly didn't have to go around renaming network interfaces or fixing shared libraries.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor

I vaguely remember something like this way back when.  I don't recall the details but I do remember running the x86 version once.  Whatever...  I have the 64 bit working just fine and it certainly isn't because I knew anything or did anything special.

Offline scatha

• Regular Contributor
Even the linux version need some love - getting ISE working under CentOS 7 requires renaming network interfaces, manually fixing a bunch of shared library simlinks, then massaging some of the install scripts.
I have ISE running on a few different CentOS 7 systems.  I don't recall having to do anything out of the ordinary for them to work, I certainly didn't have to go around renaming network interfaces or fixing shared libraries.

I don't know - were you installing the webpack or the licensed version?. I've installed ISE on a bunch of CentOS 7 systems and always encounter the same set of problems:

- In generating the host ID, ISE has a hard-coded requirement that an Ethernet interface with a prefix eth exist on the system. If it doesn't (e.g., you're using a recent Redhat variant which names its Ethernet interfaces differently) ISE and xlcm will report a host MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00, rendering it impossible to install a valid license.
- ISE requires library libQt_Network.so, which has a different name under CentOS 7 (libQtNetwork.so).
- The version of the stdc++ library which ships with ISE conflicts with system libraries.

None of these problems are particularly difficult to fix if you know the cause, but it would be nice if Xilinx made the changes themselves (which they seem to be doing given the announcement in the OP - though why they single out CentOS 7 and not mention Redhat or Fedora I don't know).

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
I don't know - were you installing the webpack or the licensed version?.
webpack

- ISE requires library libQt_Network.so, which has a different name under CentOS 7 (libQtNetwork.so).
- The version of the stdc++ library which ships with ISE conflicts with system libraries.
I have definitely never ran into either of these issues

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
I've fixed quite a few Win10 systems by rolling back to Win7. As an added bonus it frees you of all those ridiculous mobile oriented "apps", results in a much more consistent UI that doesn't look like Windows/286 on an EGA monitor, and gets rid of the forced updates that reboot whenever it feels like regardless of what you're in the middle of.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
The linux Platform Cable USB drivers haven't worked for ages.

Hmmm i didn't have any problems with ISE 14.7 or IMPACT, on a Linux Mint 17.3.
Just a little bit of lib' massage , as long as you don't try to use PACE (that took some time).

Ohh you did see the new command : export XIL_IMPACT_USE_LIBUSB=1   ;)

/Bingo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:39:31 pm by bingo600 »

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor

Last week I got ISE 64-bit version running on Windows 10 - just used the fixes at:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/guide-getting-xilinx-ise-to-work-with-windows-8-64-bit/

(however I don't use IMPACT to do the programming)
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf