Author Topic: Xilinx XC9536XL CPLD with Alterra USB Blaster  (Read 8042 times)

Offline SpidersWebTopic starter

• Supporter
Xilinx XC9536XL CPLD with Alterra USB Blaster
« on: January 08, 2017, 07:46:57 pm »
So I've excitedly jumped in to my first real CPLD/FPGA type project. Last year I ordered some cheap Xilinx XC95xxXL based CPLD dev boards with JTAG connectors thinking I already had a JTAG programmer - then midway through the project I realized it's an Alterra clone so I can't use Impact! But nevermind, I'll just use UrJTAG.... turns out it's not suitable for this specific part.

I got it running and identifying the part - but it has errors programming. Turns out it's a known issue - apparently these parts can't be programmed using a normal SVF generated by Impact, needs to be XSVF which UrJTAG doesn't support?? Just going off what I'd read.

It's going to take weeks for me to get a Xilinx compatible JTAG programmer one sent here (I can't afford a genuine model locally, I'm a hobbyist, and its a bit of a one off). So I'm wondering if anyone here has actually succeeded with getting UrJTAG to program a XC9500 series CPLD or if there is another alternative that I can try in my spare time?

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:45:39 pm by bingo600 »

The following users thanked this post: CM800

Offline SpidersWebTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: Xilinx XC9536XL CPLD with Alterra USB Blaster
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:33:18 pm »
You legend. Thanks for compiling that list for me.

I'm sure I can find something in there that'll work. I don't have a Bus Pirate, but do have Ardunios and parallel ports.
I'll read through those pages and let you know how I get on.

Chip is 5V tolerant on IO, but I'll check with JTAG.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 08:48:41 pm »
I have both the Xilinx and Altera programmers, clones I'm sure but they do the job. Something I've never understood though is why the Xilinx hardware is 5x the size and roughly 5x the cost. They both effectively do the same thing, why is the Xilinx JTAG cable so much more complicated? Is there some fancy functionality it has that I've never used?

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 09:27:36 pm »
Afaik

The Clone USB.Blaster's (commands) are emulated in a microprocessor , original hw is a FTDI & a CPLD
That also got the clone sellers to explode , lowering prices to "nothing".

The Clone Xilinx might still be a clone of the original hw.
Fewer sellers , and more complicated/expensive prod.costs

/Bingo

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 10:06:42 pm »
Even the genuine devices have the same difference in form factor. The Altera USB blaster is a tiny little thing with just a couple chips while the Xilinx platform cable is a big bulky thing chock full of stuff. I can only guess what Xilinx engineers were thinking when they came up with that thing.

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 01:38:57 am »
I had two of those cheapo Altera knock-offs. Both died unexpectedly without explanation. When they were working - they were fine. Speeds are OK. Worked with SignalTap like a charm. Maybe ESD or something...
I've got the original JTAG and never experienced any problems since.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 04:21:28 am »
I've been using the same Altera clone cable for several years now, never had any trouble with it. Maybe I should pick up a spare now that I've said that though, I probably just jinxed it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf