Author Topic: Australian Electronics Industry Documentary Trailer  (Read 7138 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Australian Electronics Industry Documentary Trailer
« on: October 07, 2010, 01:25:30 am »
The trailer for Karl's doco is now publicly available:

Dave.

Offline SnakeBite

• Regular Contributor
  • OBSESSED MODDER
Re: Australian Electronics Industry Documentary Trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:53:32 am »
looking forward to the full movie.

do you know if it will be available to watch for free?

Ido
Ido Aricha , Israel.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 12:30:53 pm »
from what Dave said during it's filming it will be, or at least for us it will, nice to see so much of our Dave in the trailer

Offline apex

• Regular Contributor
    • Thoughts of a nerd
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 07:13:38 pm »
Cool video,
had much dave in it.
I've heard it'll be free?
Where has this guy got his motivation from?
apex

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 07:27:17 am »
Where has this guy got his motivation from?

He's an electronics hobbyist and long time EEVblog viewer.

Dave.

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 11:53:07 am »
That looks awesome! Can't wait for that!

Very interesting topic. As a software developer with an electronics/industrial automation background, I learned early on about how computers and other electronic devices actually work. I see a lot of graduates coming through that have no idea what each line of code they write actually does at the hardware level and this effects both the software and hardware industries as there are more and more less than optimal designs and solutions making there way into the market. Universities need to do a total revamp of most of the modern technology subjects because like the trailer suggests, knowledge of hardware is a dying art.
Don't drone me bro!

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 02:31:50 am »

Very interesting topic. As a software developer with an electronics/industrial automation background, I learned early on about how computers and other electronic devices actually work. I see a lot of graduates coming through that have no idea what each line of code they write actually does at the hardware level and this effects both the software and hardware industries as there are more and more less than optimal designs and solutions making there way into the market. Universities need to do a total revamp of most of the modern technology subjects because like the trailer suggests, knowledge of hardware is a dying art.

That depends on the courses you are taking, for my ComSys BE we had to do assembly, FSMD and even write a basic MIPS assembler for assignment. We definitely got down to the metal. For first two years we shared courses with the electrical guys and did all the circuit stuff.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 04:46:03 am »
As simple European viewer , I have to say only one thing .

Every one deserves the right to dream.

But the electronics market today, has no room to expand further.

Many years back, that there was an limited offer, there was an large market share.
Today, every one makes electronics ...  but has less customers to serve.

Even the Australian  mail  by boat needs  two months time, to deliver the goods to an Greek port.

I like to be optimistic , but with the current market status , crisis and all , I just cannot.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 05:11:04 am »
For those not following my tweets etc the doco is now frigg'n huge and will be in three parts!
Early history, up to 1985, and post 1985.
I'll only be appearing in the last part now unless I can get that Delorian working.
Expect another trailer soon-ish.

Dave.

Offline Lance

• Frequent Contributor
  • Resistance if futile if R<1Ohm
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 05:31:33 am »
Looks great! Hopefully the site won't lock out people from other regions.
#include "main.h"
//#include <killallhumans.h>

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 05:13:14 pm »

That depends on the courses you are taking, for my ComSys BE we had to do assembly, FSMD and even write a basic MIPS assembler for assignment. We definitely got down to the metal. For first two years we shared courses with the electrical guys and did all the circuit stuff.

Well that's true. I'm talking about Comp Sci and Software Engineering students. I don't care if the degree is a software one, you need the underlying electronics knowledge so that you know what you are actually doing. If they are doing hardware subjects as part of those courses, they need changed cos these guys coming out of them just don't get it. The other problem with the industry is the illusion that software pays better.
Don't drone me bro!

Offline the_raptor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 06:43:52 am »
The other problem with the industry is the illusion that software pays better.

People believe that? Last time that would have been remotely true was during the DotCom bubble. Any turkey can get into software and the tolerance for bad coders/designers is much higher ('cause hey you can always just patch it in the field  /rolleyes).

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 07:04:20 am »
Any turkey can get into software

True in certain streams of programming. Environments like .Net are not making things any better, abstracting away the hardware even more. Got to get more new guys into the full blown Win32/64 native stuff like Delphi and the likes and teach them how to take control of the machine.
Don't drone me bro!

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 07:58:14 am »
The other problem with the industry is the illusion that software pays better.
It used to. Now that any amoeba can pass as a programmer and now that customers accept the worst shit (thank you very much Bill Gates, for lowering people's expectations so much ...) anyone with a pulse and a keyboard is joining the profession. And the pulse is optional.

Want to see market prices for software work?   http://www.vworker.com/RentACoder/DotNet/default.aspx (formerly RentACoder.com).
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Chris_R

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 01:45:16 am »
Looks good and I'll definitely give it a watch when it's released.  But let's just hope he fixes that spelling mistake in the first 2 seconds!  :P

Offline williefleete

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 03:30:44 am »
woot dick smith he was my idol when i was under 10.
i still have my funway into electronics volume two book its all tattered and seen better days but i still got it and it has some good circuits in it
and recently i got another funway one kit but used up the parts in it and the book will be somewhere

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf