Author Topic: EEVblog is now running through CloudFlare  (Read 16150 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
EEVblog is now running through CloudFlare
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:41:23 am »
As the title says. You shouldn't have even noticed the difference.
But the site should be faster, and better protected now. This includes the forum.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog is now running through CloudFlare
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:50:36 am »
Any update on TapaTalk?

Online ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:15:56 am »
Definitely seems faster, even though CloudFlare can only cache static assets. I wonder if they do some additional opportunistic loading of content so when the browser requests images/scripts etc., the edge node has already got them in memory from the main server.

Nice one Dave.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:21 pm »
Interesting - it seems a bit slower for me. There definitely seems to be a bit of a lag as the pages load
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline BurtyB

• Regular Contributor
    • 8086 Consultancy
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 08:22:32 pm »
Today is a sad news day :(.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 07:35:20 pm »
It may be a coincidence but since the change whenever i'm on eevblog here, firefox is sluggish and eats cpu cycles. Literally as I type this, from time to type it stops printing characters on screen for a couple of seconds becuase I guess Firefox is poorly threaded and eats 100% of a cpu core.

Looking at what runs in that thread, it seems the stuff that eats cpu is the javascript engine of Firefox. I'll keep investigating..

later edit: found the culprit after closing each tab in the browser, it was another website's scripts.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:21:08 pm by mariush »

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
  • How many pseudonyms do you have?
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 01:27:17 am »
I notice cloudflare obfuscates email addresses in posts. Is that considered a good feature?

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:40:54 am »
Just experienced error 522 connection time out reported by Cloudfare, a single refresh made it gone.

Never had this before at the forum, either the site was totally down, or it went through smoothly.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 08:44:42 am »
I notice cloudflare obfuscates email addresses in posts. Is that considered a good feature?

What do you mean? No ones email address should be visible on the forum.
Do you mean just typed addresses like billg@microsoft.com

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 09:34:31 am »
Just reporting, 2nd times experienced this error again, and the forum page restored after hitting that green "Retry for a live version" button.

Worst part is I was in the middle of composing a quite long PM, pressed the review button and hit by this error, there goes all my composed PM and had to re-do it again.  ???

Cloudfare hick ups ? :-//

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:40:24 am by BravoV »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 09:50:28 am »
Just reporting, 2nd times experienced this error again, and the forum page restored after hitting that green "Retry for a live version" button.

No other reports of this so far?

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 10:53:14 am »
No other reports of this so far?

I had this a day or two ago. Pressed reload in the browser (not the green button on the page), and could continue. Didn't bother to take a screen snapshot.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline BurtyB

• Regular Contributor
    • 8086 Consultancy
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 01:37:59 pm »

This is the why I dislike Cloudflare - I've seen the same on many sites using Cloudflare and in some cases it totally breaks the functionality of the site (forms not submitting correctly, login cookies going astray, etc.).

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 01:47:06 pm »
no issues for me.  seems lots faster.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 02:12:08 pm »

Worst part is I was in the middle of composing a quite long PM, pressed the review button and hit by this error, there goes all my composed PM and had to re-do it again.  ???

If you're using Firefox, install the Lazarus Form Recovery extension : http://getlazarus.com/

You can then just go back to the comment form and right click in the text box and paste the last version memorized by Lazarus.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 03:48:16 pm »
Mariush, thanks, I will take a look on that.  :-+

Mean while, I've experienced > 5 same errors today.  ???

I don't have the expertise on this global web cache infrastructure, just thinking is it possible that I'm the only the genius on earth ... <sarcasm mode :ON> ... that have invented the idea of this ultra advance algorithm ?  :palm:

Looks like the current main loop algorithm there is like this :

IF <requested web page is available at the cache> AND <and cache is not expired (under certain criteria)>

THEN <reply the request from the cache>  ... (life as usual)

ELSE <pop out the error screen, and ask the user to go directly to the live/real server>

My new invention :

IF <requested web page is available at the cache> AND <and cache is not expired (under certain criteria)>

ELSE <forward the request "AUTOMATICALLY" to the real/live server and let it handles the request it self directly>   

Just wondering I managed to patent this ultra cool elite algorithm, I must be filthy rich right ?  :palm: <sarcasm:OFF>

Dave, don't mean to bash this feature, actually I really appreciate your efforts and intentions to improve your user's experiences at your web site, but so far what my experiences is this thing is making it worse.

Before this, I only had smooth and responsive web experiences from eevblog, or totally offlined/dead because of the server problems, which is normal and totally expected.

Is this thing is still in "trial" period or you already signed the contract with them ?  ???

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 03:54:39 pm »

What I see is this:

"Do you mean just typed addresses like [email protected]"

The link goes to
http://www.cloudflare.com/email-protection#84e6ede8e8e3c4e9ede7f6ebf7ebe2f0aae7ebe9

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 12:18:41 am »
My new invention :

ELSE <forward the request "AUTOMATICALLY" to the real/live server and let it handles the request it self directly>   

Just wondering I managed to patent this ultra cool elite algorithm, I must be filthy rich right ?  :palm: <sarcasm:OFF>

Isn't that exactly what it's doing, per the information on the error page?  It was Dave's server that had its fingers stuck in its ears when CloudFlare forwarded the request, so it put the error page up as a result of not being able to retrieve the page you requested from the backend...

Online ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 08:48:18 pm »
My new invention :

Isn't that exactly what it's doing, per the information on the error page?  It was Dave's server that had its fingers stuck in its ears when CloudFlare forwarded the request, so it put the error page up as a result of not being able to retrieve the page you requested from the backend...

Yes, this is exactly how CloudFlare works, give or take some details. The problem here is that CloudFlare was apparently unable to contact the backend (Dave's server).

My guess would be that Dave's server has had some per-host connection limits or other "security" features enabled, and that now many requests are coming from the CloudFlare frontends rather than diverse user addresses and tripping those limits, causing intermittent failure. Worse, this will probably be isolated to users in certain "busier" regions or the like, so for many users will probably never happen.

Also Firefox anyway saves input form data in the history, so if a submit fails you can usually just go back and the boxes will still be filled in. Seems to work on this forum. Some JavaScripts break it, but it usually works without any addons.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:51:17 pm by ve7xen »
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline hikariuk

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 03:56:04 am »

What I see is this:

The link goes to
http://www.cloudflare.com/email-protection#84e6ede8e8e3c4e9ede7f6ebf7ebe2f0aae7ebe9

Odd; I just see the e-mail address he wrote...
I write software.  I'd far rather be doing something else.

Online ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 04:17:04 am »

What I see is this:

The link goes to

Odd; I just see the e-mail address he wrote...
Only if Javascript is enabled. Presumably to prevent scraping of addresses by bots.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 03:51:00 pm »
Only if Javascript is enabled. Presumably to prevent scraping of addresses by bots.

But bots have for some time now used ecmascript (javascript) libraries to extract things attempting to hide behind javascript.  I haven't kept track of how much javascript the bots run. It's configurable I'm sure. Bots and screenscraping are a high art (low art?).

Using SSL (i.e. https) may be a better solution.

Offline BurtyB

• Regular Contributor
    • 8086 Consultancy
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 04:31:49 pm »
I doubt SSL will make much of a difference since CPU is relatively cheap these days and whole websites can be rendered as they would in a "real" browser by using tools like phantomjs.

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 09:22:01 pm »
I doubt SSL will make much of a difference since CPU is relatively cheap these days and whole websites can be rendered as they would in a "real" browser by using tools like phantomjs.

I did say bots use js. SSL is just good sense these days.  At the very least for authenticating. It seems this forum is all plain text authentication.  Pretty old-school. And makes it vulnerable to lots of devious stuff.

I don't know if bots would go to the trouble of making SSL connections or not.  You're asserting they do.
Cheap is always a relative term. Multiply cheap times millions or billions and then what might have been considered cheap isn't.  CPU hardware might be cheap but running it at max/overclock isn't so cheap when the electron bill comes.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 01:37:54 am »
What I see is this:
The link goes to

I just see the proper email address with the usual mailto:billg@microsoft.com down the bottom
I can't click on it because I don't have a mail client software, i use gmail.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf