Author Topic: New EEVblog Website Install  (Read 41801 times)

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Re: New EEVblog Website Install
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2015, 11:13:18 am »
Fixed width?  What fixed width?
Where has everyone gone?

EDIT: I think I prefer curve :)  That number can go back to '0 people are using this theme'

Another study: harder to read fonts make you remember what you read better. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:19:15 am by Whales »

Offline mamalala

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2015, 03:15:50 am »
Also, isn't text sprawled along thousands of pixels is harder to read?

Yes, there are a ton of studies on optimum reading width / charcters per line, and the smaller the width the better. That's why newspapers have columns, and why Wordpress blogs have fixed widths.

And then there are folks who like to read a web page in a larger font size, since most pages have a silly small size. Like, i have 170% set in my browser, on a 21" 1920x1080 screen. At 100% the font is just way too smal for me to read comfortably.

Thanks to those idiots who think they know better how i have to see a web page! As cruel as it sounds, but i can only wish a lot of eye-sight problems for them, so that they finally can appreciate the core concept of HTML: Letting the user decide how to view a page...

Greetings,

Chris

Offline mamalala

• Supporter
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2015, 03:19:04 am »
Forum is irritatingly small for me too. Hopefully Dave doesn't let these god-awful web "designers" he found come play in the forum as well as wrecking his front page... |O

That's a tad rude. You have not seen the new website. Also, they are doing it for free because they are fans, cut them some slack.
Show us your website.

What? The person posting in the very forum affected by the change has not seen "the new website" affected by the change?

Is this for real? And you talk about rude?

The "designers" may be fans of this forum. But what they have done to the layout is just shit.

Greetings,

Chris

Offline mamalala

• Supporter
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2015, 03:21:52 am »
Have a look at their portfolio, seems they know what they are doing to me.
http://www.inerds.com.au/portfolio/

Is that the subsidiary of ibozos.com.whatever? Sure looks like it...

Greetings,

Chris

ETA: Just because someone sticks an "i" before some word doesn't mean it's mor intelligent. In fact, all it means is that they have no imagination and chose to go with the "iSomething" scheme to make them look "hip".
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:38:30 am by mamalala »

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2015, 05:38:46 am »
Forum is irritatingly small for me too. Hopefully Dave doesn't let these god-awful web "designers" he found come play in the forum as well as wrecking his front page... |O

That's a tad rude. You have not seen the new website. Also, they are doing it for free because they are fans, cut them some slack.
Show us your website.

What? The person posting in the very forum affected by the change has not seen "the new website" affected by the change?

The "designers" may be fans of this forum. But what they have done to the layout is just shit.

Greetings,

Chris
Dave was referring to eevblog.com, not eevblog.com/forum

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2015, 05:55:05 am »
And it just happens, I had to read a bunch of white papers (2 column layout) over the weekend. What a pain it is on a monitor. I have no doubt it works better on paper, but who reads on paper anymore?  And on the monitor I had to constantly scroll back and forth the same page, loosing my place all the time.
Alex

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2015, 06:49:09 am »

Yes it's for real because the website has not been released yet. The website and the forum are entirely different things.

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2015, 10:26:38 am »
And it just happens, I had to read a bunch of white papers (2 column layout) over the weekend. What a pain it is on a monitor. I have no doubt it works better on paper, but who reads on paper anymore?  And on the monitor I had to constantly scroll back and forth the same page, loosing my place all the time.
Oh my god no-one is proposing a two-column layout here. What an idiotic strawman argument.

Offline mamalala

• Supporter
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2015, 02:27:50 pm »

Yes it's for real because the website has not been released yet. The website and the forum are entirely different things.

Kind of a moot point, because the OP of that "sub"-thread explicitly refernced the forum:

Forum is irritatingly small for me too.

So, no matter how separated the main site and the forum are, it was about the forum. Which, due to the idiotic width-change, became a stupid format to read. And whatever the change is, it's obviously been "released" to the forum. Otherwise you wouldn't have people complaining.

That is, the person complained, explicitly, about the forum. Labeling complaints about that as rude is, well, rather rude in itself. Especially if you bring up non-excuses about some iBozos doing it for free. And heck, even demanding:

Show us your website.

This is _your_ forum. You can do whatever you want with it. Just be aware that in todays age it is rather easy to alienate regular members. I mean, hey, you _do_ make your living out of the whole EEVBlog thing, don't you? If that is so, it would be in your best interrest to listen to your "customers"...

Responding to something that the person didn't say, while adressing that person, is called "attacking a strawman". And the "do it for free" and "they are fans" tidbit is borderline "poisoning the well", just with a twist.

Greetings,

Chris

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2015, 02:57:03 pm »
Dave - never announce you're going to update the site, just do it.

You get far too many contradictory bits of advice otherwise.

Just my advice...
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2015, 02:14:20 am »
Oh my god no-one is proposing a two-column layout here. What an idiotic strawman argument.

wow wow hold up, lets not be hasty about this, It might be worth a try! The way its setup now you could fit two, or TREE forum panels next to each other on one monitor screen, just think about the possibilities, efficiency improvements and ergonomics!!1 :clap:

Dave - never announce you're going to update the site, just do it.
Yes, after all look how great it worked for DIGG 4.0, and new Slashdot layout, I mean what could go wrong? :)

You get far too many contradictory bits of advice otherwise.
Just my advice...

but your advice contradicts reality

personally the more oldschool the better, but then again I liked usenet best
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2015, 08:09:15 pm »
To be very clear - I don't like the new fixed width forum format and have asked them to change it back!

So when will the miracle happen? I'd say they've had enough time to change it back by now?  :-//
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2015, 12:19:44 am »
To be very clear - I don't like the new fixed width forum format and have asked them to change it back!
So when will the miracle happen? I'd say they've had enough time to change it back by now?  :-//

I don't know. I guess they'll do it when they get a chance.
I tried to do it myself in the forum settings, but it seems they have changed in some place else that appear to override this, because the forum setting is currently set for 95% width, not fixed.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2015, 12:28:37 am »
I too am pleased variable width will come back.
however, it's not entirely unusable. i've got my zoom at 75% and it's passable for me.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2015, 12:34:57 am »
I have changed it back manually in the CSS file, but it looks the same to me on all browser, still fixed width.
Perhaps some cache thing somewhere?

Code: [Select]
/* This division wraps the entire forum when a forum width is set. */
div#wrapper
{
   margin: 0 auto;
/*   min-width: 1045px;  */
/*   max-width: 1045px;  */
}

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2015, 12:42:31 am »
oh wow. it's already fixed. yay!
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2015, 02:24:04 am »
Is anybody else now having difficulty viewing the forum on a smart TV

Works fine on my Sony Bravia, exactly the same look as my 1920x1080 desktop monitor.

I'm back in business... :-+

My LG 32LA6230 has the same resolution as your monitor but the browser is somewhat different and other than the zoom feature nothing is adjustable, thank you for changing it back, it does make a huge difference from where I'm sitting.

Monitor screen resolution size is 1920 X 1080
Browser screen resolution size is 1280 X 720
Browser window size options:
@   75% = 1700 X 800  (way to small, need your Tagarno)
@ 100% = 1276 X 600  (way to small, need a spotting scope)
@ 125% = 1020 X 480  (still a bit small, need binoculars)
@ 150% = 850 X 400  (just right, nice size, we see everything)
@ 200% = 640 X 300  (a tad big but sometimes necessary)
@ 250% = 510 X 240  (just outrageously big, no need for it)
@ 300% = 425 X 200  (this is just plain scary)

Just found out that the forum is now viewable at 200 and 250% on this TV and everything fits with larger fonts, I dont remember being able to use these magnifications before without panning or dragging the screen, this will be handy for reading quotes and some schematics so a  big thumbs up.

Also I have now noticed that some pictures respond differently, prior they would magnify with increased zoom in conjunction with the text, now they get smaller with increased zoom and the text grows but if I zoom out to say 100 or 75% then the pictures get larger but the text size shrinks to an unreadable level, this is not a complaint and I actually prefer this, others will no doubt have a different experience as I do when viewing from the PC rather than the TV.

http://whatsmyscreenresolution.com

Muttley

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:00:26 am by Muttley Snickers »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2015, 09:02:55 am »
I have changed it back manually in the CSS file, but it looks the same to me on all browser, still fixed width.
Perhaps some cache thing somewhere?

Thank you for listening to your audience! It looks just fine now.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2015, 10:27:29 am »
All good here, back to life.  8)
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2015, 10:28:37 am »
I'm so happy now!  :clap:
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2015, 10:37:04 am »
For all of you who likes the old width better, use this greasemonkey script

:clap: Thank you !!! It works, using Waterfox aka Firefox x64.

Installed the greasemonkey for the 1st time, just to make the forum's width max out as my screen resolutions as I move around using different pcs, laptop.

Go away monkey .... uninstalled.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2015, 11:17:30 pm »
The website update is happening RIGHT NOW!
9am Thursday 20th Sydney time.
Will take a few hours, so things could get weird. Should not affect the forum, it's just a Wordpress thing.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2015, 11:31:41 pm »
The website update is happening RIGHT NOW!
9am Thursday 20th Sydney time.
Will take a few hours, so things could get weird. Should not affect the forum, it's just a Wordpress thing.

Don't worry ... NOTHING CAN GO WRONG.  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2015, 03:11:48 am »
FYI: The temporary banner on the home page while under construction has no link to the forum :)

I know how to get here, other's might not. 

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2015, 10:50:44 am »
Just curious, you are aware that the website is just a rebadged stock theme, yeah?
http://themeforest.net/item/sahifa-responsive-wordpress-news-magazine-blog-theme/2819356

I'm a little surprised by the fact that the EEVblog text on the logo has not even had a modicum of attention, so that the background of the text either matches the banner, the banner matches the background text or both to be substantially different to each other  :-//

I've also heard rumours from those in the #eevblog IRC chat that there are some issues with menus not showing correctly in IE?
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf