Author Topic: Server Memory Upgrade  (Read 11798 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Server Memory Upgrade
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:10:44 am »
Is now complete. The server now has 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB.
Will have to run the backup tests and see if the server crashes again.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Server Memory Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:11:20 am »
Hmm, I just got a database connection error while posting this, have never seen that before since the old shared server days. Not a good start!

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:13:21 am »
And also you have this same thread posted twice in this section.  ???

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:15:07 am »
And also you have this same thread posted twice in this section.  ???

Crap.
I just tried a database backup from within SMF and got a website not found error message  :-//

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:24:44 am »
Just tried a database backup from within cpanel and it locked up the forum just like before. So much for the memory upgrade  :(

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:31:53 am »
If the backup is programmed to run as fast as it can then it's always going to grind things to a halt.
More ram will just make it finish quicker.

It needs a limit on the percentage system resources its allowed to use.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline arekm

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:34:20 am »
Just tried a database backup from within cpanel and it locked up the forum just like before. So much for the memory upgrade  :(

Would be interesting to see "show full processlist" result from mysql console when than happens. If dump locks tables and dump takes few minutes then memory upgrade won't help.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 09:47:04 am »
If the backup is programmed to run as fast as it can then it's always going to grind things to a halt.
More ram will just make it finish quicker.

Yes, was very quick, like a minute or something.
gnif assures me that one he finishes penguining it will no longer lock up during backups.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:58:14 am »
I'm posting this during a capanel database backup!
Fixed!

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 10:17:35 am »
There is enough ram now to perform the backup in a single transaction which prevents the tables from being locked during the dump. This should be the last we see of the nasty SMF database error, and gateway timeouts :D.

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 10:34:41 am »
There is enough ram now to perform the backup in a single transaction which prevents the tables from being locked during the dump. This should be the last we see of the nasty SMF database error, and gateway timeouts :D.

Gnif, just curious, with the new ram upgrade and equipped with the previous data/log you've collected, thru projection and estimation, also assuming everything is the same as now, no fixes/upgrades/enhances applied.

How much/big the data grow in future that will make this same problem again using the current hardware configuration ?

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 10:36:11 am »

Gnif, just curious, with the new ram upgrade and equipped with the previous data/log you've collected, thru projection and estimation, also assuming everything is the same as now, no fixes/upgrades/enhances applied.

How much/big the data grow in future that will make this same problem again using the current hardware configuration ?

With the current configuration and performance of the server, and the headroom we now have, we should not have to worry for a very long time unless Dave somehow grows the site enormously overnight. I would wager a guess of a couple of years.

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 11:24:37 am »

With the current configuration and performance of the server, and the headroom we now have, we should not have to worry for a very long time unless Dave somehow grows the site enormously overnight. I would wager a guess of a couple of years.

As ballpark number, how bout 2 or 3 times membership counts and/or postings counts from the current capacity ? Still within safe headroom ?

Sorry Gnif, don't mean to sound like interrogating you, and honestly I don't know jack about this server thingy, just a personal concern seeing the server problem lately.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 11:29:02 am »

As ballpark number, how bout 2 or 3 times membership counts and/or postings counts from the current capacity ? Still within safe headroom ?

Sorry Gnif, don't mean to sound like interrogating you, and honestly I don't know jack about this server thingy, just a personal concern seeing the server problem lately.

That guess took into account growth of the user base and visits to the site. The server should easily handle anything we can throw at it for quite some time.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 11:50:34 am »
FYI, "persistent connection" option in SMF is currently disabled, and the forum is still stupidly lightning quick.
Huge thanks to gnif!
BTW, hostgater are only charging $40/month for the extra memory, not $100 as advertised. Presumably I can upgrade the memory again if needed.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 11:54:58 am »
FYI, "persistent connection" option in SMF is currently disabled, and the forum is still stupidly lightning quick.
Huge thanks to gnif!
BTW, hostgater are only charging $40/month for the extra memory, not $100 as advertised. Presumably I can upgrade the memory again if needed.

You are most welcome. I will have it generating free energy soon also :P

Offline Chet T16

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 11:56:15 am »
Just had a timeout...may well have been my end. I think it adds character  :P
Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 11:57:15 am »

Can we use the extra capacity of the dedicated server to mine bitcoins or something?  ;D

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 12:00:04 pm »
Just had a timeout...may well have been my end. I think it adds character  :P

Was this just a browser time-out or an actual 504 error?

Can we use the extra capacity of the dedicated server to mine bitcoins or something?  ;D

I hope you are kidding...  :palm:

Offline rkupka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 12:03:49 pm »
success.
Just keep up with regular update checks for CentOS and cpanel (yea, there´s a nasty hole in it right now waiting to be fixed).

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 12:06:00 pm »
success.
Just keep up with regular update checks for CentOS and cpanel (yea, there´s a nasty hole in it right now waiting to be fixed).

Done and done :). I am monitoring this server 24x7 for many things, including system updates using Icinga (a nice nagios fork) and a set of custom scripts. I generally know when there is an issue with the server within 5 minutes. I have been eager to get this fixed simply so I stop getting woken up to load alerts at 2AM :P.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:08:09 pm by gnif »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 12:08:28 pm »

Well, maybe play tetris or something...

Offline rkupka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 12:10:22 pm »
LOL :)  Don't become enslaved by it :) I taught my 15 servers to be nice and behave. Otherwise I whip them. :P

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 12:12:21 pm »

Well, maybe play tetris or something...

Would bastet suffice?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 12:41:03 pm »

Good news on the price. Now wait until it gets as busy as the Arduino forum - about 20 pages of new posts per day!  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf