Author Topic: Site CPU Throttling  (Read 11095 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Site CPU Throttling
« on: June 01, 2011, 08:15:07 am »
Looks like some hours get almost constant throttling on my HostMonster server!
I take it that's not good...

Everything still seems to work though...

Dave.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
Re: Site CPU Throttling
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:59:00 am »
Personally I do feel this "Site CPU Throttling" today.
It does effect the responsiveness of the server allot ,
by a negative manner .   

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:07:22 am »
Yesterday I suffered various "SMF Database error"s. So the system is being overloaded.

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:04:11 am »
funny, trying to open this thread i got "The connection has timed out"
and no, it's not a problem on my side :)

especially the forum here has been almost always very slow for me.
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:54:04 am »
The forum is pretty darn responsive for me, and I'm in Australia. Has been fine ever since I moved it back to HostMoster.
Only very occasionally does it seem slow in any way.
Pages render in under a second, and this post takes.... under 3 second to save and re-render the posts on the new page.

I get the occasional database error report emailed to me, maybe once a week.

Dave.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:55:51 am by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 11:00:29 am »
I've turned on "persistent connections" in the forum.
This is supposed to make it run faster, but I may get a slap on the wrist from the ISP! let's see!
Let me know if it makes a difference.

Dave.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:15:39 am »
no problemo up here.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline the_raptor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 12:59:42 pm »
It has been pretty good ever since you moved it back from that terribad cloud provider. Though I do get occasional slowness. On the other hand I was getting 500 errors from Slashdot for most of yesterday.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 11:31:06 pm »
Forum is pretty responsive for me, even though I'm now on a slower internet connection than I was a fortnight ago.
Pages render OK and images load without any unexpected delays.
Also in Australia

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 12:25:35 am »
Coincidentally, Hostmonster are offering a 50% off sale for existing customer on new accounts.
I could get a new account (shared again, just like this) just to host the forum, but as I said, it would require changing the forum domain name to eevforum.com
This might ultimately have to happen anyway, as the forum (with all the attachments) takes up by far the most number of files on my server. And once I hit 50,000 files across all my sites, HostMonster stops doing daily backups.

Dave.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 12:57:32 am »
I have an idea about the files count issue .

Currently it looks that the forum has 7871 members,
I bet that 50% of those or more ,  was just made for the gifts contests.

By erasing them , it could possibly help .  
Just an idea .

Edit: the server works nicely in my end too. 

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 07:20:41 am »
Coincidentally, Hostmonster are offering a 50% off sale for existing customer on new accounts.
I could get a new account (shared again, just like this) just to host the forum, but as I said, it would require changing the forum domain name to eevforum.com
This might ultimately have to happen anyway, as the forum (with all the attachments) takes up by far the most number of files on my server. And once I hit 50,000 files across all my sites, HostMonster stops doing daily backups.

Dave.

To be honest I'm guessing that the vast majority of your resource usage is down to the forum. As I pointed out previously in another thread I have a number of websites on one account. One of the websites is a dormant forum that only gets spam bot registrations and that is all they can do as I have to authorize each registration. I use about 1 GB of bandwidth a month for all of my websites and email traffic. 600 MB of this is the DORMANT forum, the rest is my real usage.

Your main website is a few pages and the video's are on YouTube (Although I think a few people rip the videos straight out of the /video folder) so no realy usage there. Unless your going to start a new service i can't see the point in breaking the forum off onto it's own account, you will still be near the limits if the same limits apply. Personally I'd suggest trying to get your resource cap raised. you host provider may allow you to buy additional capacity on certain things (space, bandwidth, CPU) without you upgrading the whole package.

I'm no expert in PHP but do get the impression that it takes a lot more than plain on HTML. webpages don't even exist for PHP, they are assembled from various snippets of HTML and database entries, this is why they generate so many files and cause CPU usage as each page viewed is assembled on the fly.

I have noticed from time to time that I can't get onto the forum and have to reload, if this is going to grow you need to raise your limits.

Perhaps you could offload the images on the forum to another account ? but that depends on the simple machines forum settings

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 07:45:37 am »
how about just link the youtube vids in the eevblog main page? i dont know if its doable/practical.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 08:00:31 am »
how about just link the youtube vids in the eevblog main page? i dont know if its doable/practical.

that is what is being done. The watching of videos does not contribute to the site bandwidth or load

Offline Ernie Milko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 11:16:55 am »
I often find this site very slow, I've posted about it in the other thread.
It's not me; everything else here works just fine.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 12:17:16 pm »
To be honest I'm guessing that the vast majority of your resource usage is down to the forum. As I pointed out previously in another thread I have a number of websites on one account. One of the websites is a dormant forum that only gets spam bot registrations and that is all they can do as I have to authorize each registration. I use about 1 GB of bandwidth a month for all of my websites and email traffic. 600 MB of this is the DORMANT forum, the rest is my real usage.

Why not simply close the forum?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 12:21:57 pm »
well I have unlimited bandwidth and I have no issue, I leave it there for future use (Rotaract) should we ever need it. My point was just as a comparison, a dormant forum with spam bots roaming it uses twice what my active websites AND emails do. So if Dave is having problems with bandwidth/CPU/file numbers/storage space it will certainly be down to the forum so moving it will only move the problem elsewhere if the new hosting plan has the same limits.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 07:49:59 am »
I've found that TheHourHour is actually hogging the majority of the server space. 342GB last month.
So I've set up a new HostMonster account just to host TheAmpHour.
Once it's all transfered we should see a drop in the CPU Throttling, and hopefully an increase in performance. Or at least less problems!

Dave.

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 05:10:01 pm »
Hi Dave

I dont know how big you websites is in like traffic and $$ for webhosting.

But i did today see a video on Chris Pirillo there he did "sell" a new page / solution that for me seemed perfect for you :-)

http://www.cdninabox.com

Lars

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 11:32:28 pm »
Hi Dave
I dont know how big you websites is in like traffic and $$ for webhosting.
But i did today see a video on Chris Pirillo there he did "sell" a new page / solution that for me seemed perfect for you :-)
http://www.cdninabox.com
Lars

I do several TB/month across all my sites and files. That costs very serious money on anything but a cheap unlimited bandwidth shared web server (of which I now have 3 to spread the load)
The above service to host all my needs would cost $500+/month
People keep suggesting Amazon cloud and all sorts of other solutions, and they are super cheap for GB/month, but not for TB/month.
TheAmphour alone requires 350GB/month, and that's just audio. By EEVblog has more viewers streaming video, not audio.

The good news is moving TheAmpHour seems to have made a big difference. And my host HostMonster now has an upgraded package that claims extra CPU and resource time if I ever need it.

Dave.

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 07:01:02 pm »
The above service to host all my needs would cost $500+/month
People keep suggesting Amazon cloud and all sorts of other solutions, and they are super cheap for GB/month, but not for TB/month.
TheAmphour alone requires 350GB/month, and that's just audio. By EEVblog has more viewers streaming video, not audio.
¨

Ok that was to bad. But it is great that it is "durable" to get the sites going so well on "cheap" hosting. I have never personally had any problems with speed.

I have one more proposal. Torrent files. i know more work for you. but i must say that i personal prefer a torrent file. But i am not sure how many that do want to go that way. I am a big fan/user ... all my Top gear and Fifth gear i get from www.Finalgear.com. I must say it works pretty good. :-)

Thank you for all the time you do put in this "universe" I just wish that i did have half the energy you have to something similar :-) 
Lars

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 08:53:55 am »
In the last 12 hours I get messages from time to time, about issues connecting to the database ( EEV forum ) .
Any ideas ? 

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 09:42:21 am »
In the last 12 hours I get messages from time to time, about issues connecting to the database ( EEV forum ) .
Any ideas ?  

Some people claim to get these, but I rarely get them, maybe once a week for a few seconds at most, with a refresh fixing it.
But looks like something happened in the last hour.
How do you get throttled for 42,000 second in 1 hour??  ???

Given that I'm on a shared server, it could very be someone else's site getting hammered that effects mine.

Dave.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 11:38:19 am »
maybe they are referring to the total amount of user time the site had problems with so it will add up users that simultaneously had problems

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 11:54:37 am »
maybe they are referring to the total amount of user time the site had problems with so it will add up users that simultaneously had problems

No idea, never seen it exceed 3600 before.
Maybe just a glitch.
In any case, the move of theamphour to it's own server has greatly lowered the throttling.

Dave.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 12:44:21 pm »
How do you get throttled for 42,000 second in 1 hour??  ???

It looks like a monitoring system hiccup -- there's no appreciable data for the previous fourteen hours, but averaging the spike out over the 'dead' period comes out to around the same figure as shown in previous hours.  Which is close to 'continuously throttled', unpleasant.

(It looks like the throttle maintains a 'cumulative time throttled' stat and the system responsible for polling that and turning it into 'time throttled this hour' had gone for a burton at some point.  When it finally came back it saw a huge jump; the more resilient option for this sort of stat is to take the time since the last valid data point into account too, and plot a histogram instead of a bar chart.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf