Author Topic: Transmission Line layout in KICAD  (Read 6337 times)

Offline thewyliestcoyoteTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Transmission Line layout in KICAD
« on: April 28, 2015, 06:31:26 am »
Is there a way to do transmission line layout in KICAD? Is there a way I can have transmission line elements in the schematic?

I am a ADS user in my day job. Maybe there is a way like in ADS where I can specify the width, length, and layer.

Thanks,
Wylie

Offline nickoe

• Contributor
Re: Transmission Line layout in KICAD
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 11:36:13 am »
There is the microwave toolbar, which is enabled from the preferences -> show microwave toolbar in pcbnew.

I have notused it myself, but I think it might be a bit buggy, but if you know how it is supposed to work and can report bugs, we can probably have that fixed.

There is one of the tools which read a "Shape Description File", I have no idea of what file format that actually is.

Offline thewyliestcoyoteTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 05:40:58 am »
There is the microwave toolbar, which is enabled from the preferences -> show microwave toolbar in pcbnew.

I have notused it myself, but I think it might be a bit buggy, but if you know how it is supposed to work and can report bugs, we can probably have that fixed.
Yeah I have had a play with that before. Not exactly what I had in mind.

One thing I don't really understand is why microwave components are added in the layout phase not the schematic phase. This seem to  defeat the purpose of the schematic being the control document.

here is one of the tools which read a "Shape Description File", I have no idea of what file format that actually is.
I have been unable to get it to work. I am sure I could if I spend more time on it.

What I had in mind was something in the schematic editor was a way all calling out the layer and the impedance or the width and length.

Do you know where I can easily make feature requests?

Offline nickoe

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 07:57:47 am »
You can make feature requests and bug reporst on the launchpad bugtracker for kicad.

I don't know why the microwave toolbox is how it is. I just know it is there.   Also bear in mind there is the pcb calculator. I don't remember if that has microwave tools also.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf