Author Topic: 4-wire short - DIY  (Read 16701 times)

Offline MiDiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 4-wire short - DIY
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 03:32:55 pm »
The problem is how can this be better announced, maybe a post in "Buy, Setll, Wanted", also I don't think that 19x36 grid it's really only for Datrons, there should be other DMM as well.
 In any case, put me on with 2, and make them 15EUR even with a thicker copper plate

Could worth a try to anounce it in buy, sell, wanted - so feel free to make advertisement for it.

If I remember right, the Datrons have screwed binding posts.
Then the question arises: would it make sense to build the short with plugs?
Better solution would be a pcb only version as mentioned at the beginning of thread...

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 07:35:15 pm »
The problem is how can this be better announced, maybe a post in "Buy, Setll, Wanted", also I don't think that 19x36 grid it's really only for Datrons, there should be other DMM as well.
 In any case, put me on with 2, and make them 15EUR even with a thicker copper plate

Could worth a try to anounce it in buy, sell, wanted - so feel free to make advertisement for it.

If I remember right, the Datrons have screwed binding posts.
Then the question arises: would it make sense to build the short with plugs?
Better solution would be a pcb only version as mentioned at the beginning of thread...

Hello, so I'm attaching here a pair of pictures of an actual Datron device input panel. As you can see, the access it's only possible from top (or bottom) with a pcb only version (kind of like a m with veery long legs).
From left it's the case and from right it's the guard terminal.
So personally I'll lobe to have a plug version. Also wondering if it will be possible to replace the pcb with a piece of copper sheet  ;D, but with the same nice shape.

So if you say the plugs version is doable, we can proceed with advertising it :)

Best regards,
 DC1MC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 08:23:32 pm »
Thought of a lollypop pcb only design, or as Dave would call it: sex on a stick ;)

This draft/idea was for my HP 3457A:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:25:51 pm by MiDi »

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 09:50:37 pm »
Thought of a lollypop pcb only design, or as Dave would call it: sex on a stick ;)

This draft/idea was for my HP 3457A:

Wow, that's a really nice idea, so one insert this and rotates it in position and tighten the binding posts screws, if I understand correctly. In case of a symmetrical grid, if you make it from metal it can be used as a Ninja throwing weapon  :-DD.

Well, if you can devise the PCB/plate shape correctly for Datrons as above (sadly I suck badly at mechanical design) you will have my gratitude and a beer & onion rings kit ;) at the local Eichbaum pub if you pass sometimes trough Mannheim  ^-^.
Of course I'm willing to measure whatever you instruct me to measure on the Datron panel, I have a digital Messchieber that collects dust ;).

Cheers,
 DC1MC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 06:37:18 am »
Wow, that's a really nice idea, so one insert this and rotates it in position and tighten the binding posts screws, if I understand correctly. In case of a symmetrical grid, if you make it from metal it can be used as a Ninja throwing weapon  :-DD.

Well, if you can devise the PCB/plate shape correctly for Datrons as above (sadly I suck badly at mechanical design) you will have my gratitude and a beer & onion rings kit ;) at the local Eichbaum pub if you pass sometimes trough Mannheim  ^-^.
Of course I'm willing to measure whatever you instruct me to measure on the Datron panel, I have a digital Messchieber that collects dust ;).

Exactly, unscrew posts, put short in and rotate in position, screw posts.
At the moment it is just idea, has to be tested.
So first would do design for HP 3457A style posts and verify function.

There will be an option with sharp edges to throw like a ninja and an option to screw to your dremel to use as a saw  :-DD

Data needed: distances between posts, thickness of threads, thickness of insulation

Offline DuPe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2018, 04:16:05 pm »
@ MIDI: please see PM Folder
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:17:44 pm by DuPe »

Offline DuPe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 12:11:05 pm »

Hi MiDi,
arrived well packed and ... (most amazing :-) shorts great.
CheersPeter

The following users thanked this post: MiDi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 04:24:32 pm »

Hi MiDi,
arrived well packed and ... (most amazing :-) shorts great.
CheersPeter

It would even short better when plugged in fully  ;)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2018, 05:24:07 pm »
Any news for the flat one for Datrons, my family grew with two members, all in dire need of calibration.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2018, 05:53:07 pm »
Data needed: distances between posts, thickness of threads, thickness of insulation

At the moment I have other projects, do not expect something the next weeks...

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2018, 05:57:24 pm »

At the moment I have other projects, do not expect something the next weeks...

Then I'll do the measurements and post them here, to have them handy in case you'll find some time.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf