Author Topic: Digital MPPT thermal controller  (Read 3800 times)

Offline electrodacusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • electrodacus
Digital MPPT thermal controller
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:40:34 pm »
Some of you may know my Open Source Solar BMS and now I have designed a new device that I call Digital MPPT thermal controller (has nothing to do with switch mode DC-DC converters the Digital in front is very important).
The concept and what is good for I tried to explain in the pdf presentation that you can download here http://electrodacus.com/DMPPT450/dmppt-presentation-v01.pdf

Let me know if you understand how it works and what the advantages are. The feedback from you is valuable to me since I know if my presentation makes sense to other people that see this for first time and will help me improve next version of the presentation.
This is something completely new as far as I'm aware and is difficult to introduce new ideas.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
Re: Digital MPPT thermal controller
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:06:20 pm »
Download was too slow and I stopped it, but I don't get it at all from what I saw and I designed a MPPT system for heating water and have been using it for years.  I store energy in a capacitor bank and PWM it to a heater.  I don't see any electrical energy storage.  So what makes this efficient?  If I can't figure it out, what chance does someone else?  And it appears you are using insanely low resistances for a heater. Half the power will be used getting power to the heater. Hardly a new idea, although it wasn't quite practical till panel prices came down.

On a side note, I mentioned your name on another board and they immediately threatened to ban me for life.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:11:02 pm by Seekonk »

• Super Contributor
    • electrodacus
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 11:26:29 pm »
Download was too slow and I stopped it, but I don't get it at all from what I saw and I designed a MPPT system for heating water and have been using it for years.  I store energy in a capacitor bank and PWM it to a heater.  I don't see any electrical energy storage.  So what makes this efficient?  If I can't figure it out, what chance does someone else?  And it appears you are using insanely low resistances for a heater. Half the power will be used getting power to the heater. Hardly a new idea, although it wasn't quite practical till panel prices came down.

On a side note, I mentioned your name on another board and they immediately threatened to ban me for life.

Is your internet connection slow ? If I try to open the pdf it takes about 15 to 20 seconds for me and I have a mobile 4G connection limited at 2Mbps up and down.
I seen that PWM/capacitor solution before somewhere (I think someone on ebay).
My solution needs no electrical storage of any type since it uses multiple up to 6 different resistive heat elements so the Load can be varied by selecting more or few of this so up to 64 levels can be obtained 2^6 while in my example I use the same value for last 3 outputs so 2^5 total of 32 levels are obtained and that allows up to 98% efficiency.
I'm sure if you are able to open the document you will understand exactly how it work.
The low value resistance are in the example since that is designed to fully heat my house so 10kW of PV panels.
No significant power will be lost transmitting the energy to the heat elements (18 AWG copper cable with silicone insulation) and that 2 or 3% loss on the transmission cables will still contribute to house heating so there is no actual loss since heating the house is the target.
There will be no backup heating so large thermal mass storage is used to deal with the few cloudy days possible here in winter.

:) What forum was that where mentioning my name was considered bad? And what do you think that will say about that forum?

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:58:54 am »
I think it might have been this forum.
https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum/off-grid-solar/batteries-energy-storage/14343-lifepo4-vs-lead-acid-a-cost-analysis-for-energy-storage/

They don't seem to be remotely interested in looking at any data, or even in looking at their own spelling.

ps. Had a look at your controller document, looks like this style of heating might suit my situation/house so I'll be watching.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:41:40 am by HackedFridgeMagnet »

• Super Contributor
    • electrodacus
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:39:18 am »
I think it might have been this forum.
https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum/off-grid-solar/batteries-energy-storage/14343-lifepo4-vs-lead-acid-a-cost-analysis-for-energy-storage/

They don't seem to be remotely interested in looking at any data, or even in looking at their own spelling.

I'm quite sure that was the one. I just did not wanted to mention them at all.  :)

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 01:33:51 pm »
Man, that "Sunking", what an ignorant (and rude) cnut!

Battery master my arse!

Anyone would think you'd taken a shit on his Christmas dinner plate after his outbursts!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf